What is the difference between CP expedited package and expedited shipping?

I was doing some listing on the .ca site this morning, and when I got to shipping options, I saw "Canada Post expedited package" and "Expedited shipping". They were different delivery times, but I don't remember seeing this before.

Can someone explain the difference?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@triber wrote:

I was doing some listing on the .ca site this morning, and when I got to shipping options, I saw "Canada Post expedited package" and "Expedited shipping". They were different delivery times, but I don't remember seeing this before.

Can someone explain the difference?

Well one is specifically Canada Post and the other is whatever you want that is theoretically an "expedited" service.

eBay can obtain a service estimate from Canada Post for their Expedited service, for generic expedited they make something up.

FYI - In shipping terms "expedited" generally means a step or above the slowest service and a step or two below the fastest service.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you recped, I was not sure what option to choose, obviously Canada Post expedited shipping.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The only thing that really matter is that the choice you make affect the estimated delivery time a potential buyer will see.

For my domestic shipping I specify Canada Post Expedited or Canada Post Lettermail, for International I just use Standard Flat-Rate for everything.

Some sellers think that because claim deadlines are connected to the last estimated delivery date a longer estimate means buyers have more time to open an INR claim. While that's true I like to think that a longer delivery estimate means that a buyer doesn't freak out quite so soon (ignoring that most barely take little notice of the estimate).

I also use a 5 day handling time for basically the same reason, it can lower a buyers expectations for delivery, I think the feedback I get confirms that because I get an awful lot of feedback that notes the fast delivery times. When US buyers for example see my listing that shows the earliest delivery estimate at 10+ days they feel really happy when they get it in 5 days and they seems to think I made some extra effort.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I basically ignore the listed delivery times, and tell my buyers that the shipping can take at least ..........days. My feedbacks too reflect that. Many send a message to say that they understand and there is no hurry.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

True enough, triber, but you and I deal with detail oriented customers. Sewers, knitters, stamp collectors, readers are all accustomed to reading and following instructions.

This is not true of more testosterone-poisoned categories.

The seller has to keep his demographic's expectations firmly in mind.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply