What to Do when Ebay Employee refuses to pay?

darlg
Community Member
Hi
My first time of having a Ebay employee bid on a item and now refuses to pay for the item. Said they did not look at my terms and they are "sorry".
You would think these people know the rules a bit better. They want me to just cancel the auction, get my fees back, but as we all know we do not get our fees back.
Now we even are getting the short end of the stick here even from employees of Ebay.
Have any of you had ebay employees bid and refuse to pay for your items?
I assume that Ebay would not care that their employess refuse to honor a bid?

Darlyn
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

shoplineca
Community Member
Darlyn
A real Catch 22 if you ask me.

If you take this up a notch, report them as a NPB etc., you may have an enemy at eBay that can haunt you without you being aware of it.

You know, like an auction ending early or everytime you do something slightly wrong, a pink slap or worse.

Perhaps you can inform the eBayer that, as they know, you dont fully recover all your eBay fees and you would expect that they will compensate you for the difference. At the same time remind them that they have cost you other potential customers and the time and efforst you are forced to go through to correct their error and relist the item.

Just goes to show you that the eBay rules arent worth 2 cents when their own employees feel nothing about renaging on a deal and wanting to avoid negative FB.

I wonder if the negative FB you might give them would just disappear. I wonder if eBay employees give retailatory negative FB.

I guess that would be like a police officer getting drunk and driving and expecting to be let off when caught. The rules apply to all.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
How do you tell a bidder is an Ebay employee?

Jeff
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

darlg
Community Member
Hi Malcolm
Interesting point Malcolm re if I give the person a negative will it magically disappear since they are a ebay employee and would have access to the tools to remove a negative against themselves.
Yes I agree this is a catch 22.
As you know I sell magaiznes so the $ value is not that high but it is the principle of the matter that Ebay employees can not just send you a "sorry" email.
I will file a non payer alert.
There should be a immediate credit/option on the alert for people that immediately and blantantly refuse to pay and we should not have to wait 7 days to file etc.
Will I give the person a negative...probably not.
Well this is my first ebay employee that I know off for how many others are bidding and not advising you after they bid that they are a ebay employee?

Darlyn
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

darlg
Community Member

Hi Jeff

As per ebay's policy, ebay employess when bidding are to send you a notice that they are an employee.... This just covers Ebays butt that they are not responsible for their employees and their bidding habits.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-employee.html

Darlyn
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

darlg
Community Member

Hi again
The person that won my auction ( is from Germany), keeps emailing me that it is no big deal and you might get all your fees back if you relist it and it sells.

The person is completely refusing to address the matter of actually paying for the item.

I told them that I don;t need a lesson on how to relist on ebay and that they should address the matter of honoring a acution they won especially someone who is a employee of Ebay.

I am totally sick of the amount of DUDS on ebay and now I have to put up with ebay employees being DUDS also.

I am venting again..... great way to start off another week.

Darlyn
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

discountlabelsupplies
Community Member
From what I understand from reading "The perfect store" the ebay story, is that Ebay employees are encouraged to buy (or sell?) on Ebay so that they can understand the system better.

I would not be concerned in the least bit that this person would be able to do anything to your account or to even remove a neg feedback if they received one. You have to figure there are 10's of thousands of ebay employees and my guess is that less than a fraction of 1 percent would have the ability to remove a neg if they received one. Of this fraction of 1 percent (yes I am totally guessing) how many would do this and risk getting canned?

I would deal with this order no differently than any other NPB.

And I wouldn't judge all of ebay based on one possibly minimum wage employee. Kind of like judging all powersellers based on one experience with them.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I agree. I'd treat this employee exactly like any other non-paying bidder. What's right is right notwithstanding any possible inequitable retaliation. In the very least I'd ask him to pay my lost fees. If he declines then I'd report him as a NPB, then I'd leave a negative feedback and block him from future purchases. In the event of unwarranted retaliation I'd do my best to let his employer know about it. Scary employees could significantly cost eBay in both reputation and revenues.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
discountlabelsupplies
As of June 2004, there were 6,400 employees worldwide working at eBay. That reflects a very lean company given the number of "member" sellers and buyers it has to service and the volume of transactions.

I guess that is why customer service is what it is and why we know the names of those in c/s in both Canada and the US and can count those people on one hand.

Malcolm
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

2hormy
Community Member
I think you should give him an strike and get your fees back.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

darlg
Community Member
Hi
I am waiting the 7 days in order to file a dispute. I have not decided yet re the negative feedback for I realy believe the person will automatically give me one.
Unless I word the negative: Ebay employee bids and refuses to pay.
dar
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Darlyn
I would never suggest that you should be the guinea pig, the one to test the eBay system but is certainly would be interesting to see this carried all the way through to leaving him a neg, exactly as you have suggested (referring to NPB as an eBay employee).

As an employee, is he taught to leave or not leave retailiatory negs?
As an employee, will anyone else at eBay become involved to "talk to you" about alternative solutions than leaving negs?

If eBay wants their employees to learn about how eBay works, then he should earn his neg and have a strike against him for being a NPB and I would suspect that eBay would be aware of this from an employer point of reference and use it as part of an employee review.

Lets face it, if eBay employees are left to learn they can abuse the system of their employer, then what becomes of the eBay system as a whole?

Malcolm
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

darlg
Community Member
Malcolm
I agree with your 100%.
Let me think about how I will handle it.
If he gives me a negative it won't really hurt my overall rating.
I still have 3 days before I can file my dispute. Will be interesting what he will say to me when I file it even thou I clear told him I was going to.

Darlyn
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

mereco
Community Member
Yes I have had an eBay employee bid on a item and be the successful bidder. Yes they have advised me that they were an eBay employee. Yes I had difficulty obtain the payment from them. Yes I finally did get payment, the cheque bounced and was replaced after advising that there was action I could take outside of eBay. Yes I was prepared to leave negative feedback but even if I wanted to I could not because any attempt to leave feedback resulted in the response that I had "no transaction with the buyer" VERY STRANGE.
Many eBay employees have the ability to manipulate records of eBay's. Even the low minimum wage employees referred to earlier.
eBay will protect its own. It has to protect its own reputation.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply