What would be smart behavior for INR? So far I have email only

On March 3, 2016 I got an offer from the US buyer (Illinois) for the book listed for $25.99Cdn, the offer was too low, I made counter offer and received another offer slightly higher with begging note "please accept it! I am a student!"

So, I have accepted his $13.00 fully realizing that it was not smart business decision.

But the book was for sale for very long...

Shortly after I got his email asking to do something to reduce shipping charges (calculated shipping - $16.65 to USA)

I told him that I can not control this number because this exactly what I have to pay at postal outlet and even to pay to eBay and to Paypal fees on this amount.

I received his money and shipped the same day.  Because I sold so low I decided not to spend another $3-$4 for tracking, although I understand that this tracking is not for him, it is for me.

As always, I sent him a letter indicating the approximate duration of delivery and added "I have given your purchase my priority and believe I have responded in a timely manner. If however you have any additional concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via email before you approach eBay on this matter". 

So, I was approached by email last Saturday and he asked for tracking number stating that the book did not arrive yet. I replied  that I did not offer him the "tracking" option for shipping because it was hard for him to pay without tracking.

And I asked him to wait a little longer.

I do not know how much honesty is here, but I have to presume it is there.

My question: If I refund him full amount of money before he opens a case, will I get a defect?

And will I get my FVF back? 

Is it smart to refund before the case is opened?

Thank you all for recommendations.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: What would be smart behavior for INR? So far I have email only

Small clarification please.

"calculated shipping - $16.65 to USA"

What CP service was this?  Did the buyer pay US$16.65? (appx Cdn$ 21.50)

Did that service - paid by the buyer - include tracking?  or did the buyer end up paying a lower amount for a different service?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

My question: If I refund him full amount of money before he opens a case, will I get a defect?

You don't get a defect for an inr so the only thing you could possibly get a defect for would be for a cancelled transaction.

I don't think that you would get one anyway but the safest way would be to ask him to open an inr and then you can refund him through that...no defect and you will get your fees back. Use buyer requested as a reason for cancellation.

I have refunded buyers for a return without them opening a case of any kind.  If it was before 30 days I used the cancel transaction button (buyer requested) on ebay which refunded the buyer and gave me back my fvf fees. I've also refunded a buyer directly from paypal because it was past the 30 day cancellation period. In that situation I couldn't cancel so didn't get back my fees. I never received a defect for seller cancellation in either situation as I believe that once the item is shipped it isn't considered a seller cancellation anymore.

However, some sellers keep saying on the U.S. boards that any cancellation is a seller cancellation and causes a defect unless the buyer goes through ebay and files a case or request first.  I disagree based on my experience and based on the way I read the seller cancellation rules but since others disagree with me I don't want to tell you to do one thing and have it turn out that something has changed. That's why I said the safest way is to have the buyer open an inr.

Also, some sellers always recommend a case be opened instead of refunding right away because it is good that ebay has a record of all of the claims that a buyer is making.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Doesn't matter, there are no defects for INR anymore

Only if you follow the proper procedures

Doesn't matter but you will need to process an order cancellation or an INR case, doing neither is not good because if you make a full refund without a case or cancellation you will get an out of stock defect and those DO count.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The listing was thru eBay.ca in Cdn Dollars and therefore the shipping was in Cdn Dollars - item 262292063382
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Doesn't matter, there are no defects for INR anymore

Only if you follow the proper procedures

Doesn't matter but you will need to process an order cancellation or an INR case, doing neither is not good because if you make a full refund without a case or cancellation you will get an out of stock defect and those DO count.

I had a return in January and one in February and in both cases there was no return request opened and  I received the item back after 30 days. The cancellation option was no longer available so I refunded through Paypal....no case...no cancellation and no defects.  I don't think that you can get an out of stock option unless the item hasn't been shipped but it isn't written quite that clearly.

In hindsight I think that if they had opened a request I could have still got my fvf back as the request would have kept the cancellation option.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yeah if the return/refund happens after 30 days then nothing happens. The full refund = defect only happens if it's within 30 days of payment.

If it is after 30 days then a case does need to be opened to get a FVF refund, buyers can open an INR for a much longer time that a seller can do a cancellation.

In the OP's situation the 30 days has not passed yet.

The main point I was trying to convey is that all the old board advice about avoiding cases and/or refunding via Send Money no longer apply. In fact the way things are now that's often the worst thing you can do. This applies to both INR and SNAD situations.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Shortly after I got his email asking to do something to reduce shipping charges (calculated shipping - $16.65 to USA)

That's sounds like a parcel rate and most parcels have a tracking number.  Or at least Confirmation of Delivery which is all that Paypal and eBay want.

Check your Post Office receipts.

You could look up that number yourself and tell him where it was last recorded (not where it is-- Confirmation of Delivery means that the carrier will note delivery after delivery and anything else is accidental.) And remind him of any and all holidays (such as the four day Easter weekend) since you shipped.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

$16.65 Can is for 1kg Small Packet Air USA.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

That wouldn't have delivery confirmation then.

But there would be a barcode on the label, and (smoke and mirrors) giving that number to the customer BEFORE a problem arises could have stopped the problem.

It sounds to me like the entitled little brat decided that you were an easy mark. 'Gimmee a lower price. I'm a student. Gimmee cheaper shipping. I can't afford that. Gimmee all my money back. You can't prove I got it."

Also Blocked Bidder List.

I am old and cynical tonight.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

OP, have you looked up the buyer's feedback history to see if there is indication that he has done something similar before?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Every time someone has initially asked me for a lower price, they have then caused trouble.  Sorry, I know this isn't helpful to your situation, but it is something to think about!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

This guy had only 4 feedbacks and none left to others... I have a strong feeling that he wants money back because the system on eBay will act in his favor... it's his "opportunity"!

Therefore I will let him go thru INR claim as recommended by others, at least his behavior may be registered somewhere.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hello 'block36', 

In addition to everything else that has been said, if he does file his INR case and you have to refund him, naturally

you will add him to your Blocked Bidder list, -- but also use the Report a Buyer button and gently explain why you 

believe he is abusing the Money Back Guarantee claims process.  

Nothing will come of it, but if you put the book in the mail it will get there.  If he files a claim then he is abusing the 

system and ought to be reported.  That way he gets an asterisk beside his name.  Who knows, maybe if he gets enough 

of those he'll be booted from ebay.  Every little bit helps.

Best wishes. Smiley Happy 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply