Why Are Buyers Always Right??

I listed an item. Indicated I would only ship to Canada, the U.S. and Germany. Item sold in the last minute. Buyer is from Brazil. The buyer did not ask if I would ship to Brazil mor did he request a shipping fee prior to bidding. I asked EBay to cancel the transaction. They sent a cancel request to the buyer. The buyer refused saying I should ship to Brazil no matter what. Now I do not get a Final Value Credit. Why am I being penalized for a buyer who did not read the shipping information and who did not contact me prior to bidding ? Seems like EBay rules are 90% in favor of buyers. Don't buyers have any responsibilities at all ?
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Why Are Buyers Always Right??

scifan57
Community Member
Actually,you don't have to ship to the buyer from Brazil.If the shipping details did not list Brazil as one of the countries you ship to,you cannot be forced to ship to this buyer.Instead of sending the mutual cancelation request,you should have refunded the buyer's payment,with the notation that you do not ship to Brazil. For your future listings you should set up your buyer requirements to block buyers registered in countries you do not ship to.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hello 'beachstreet',

When you sent your request for Cancellation to the buyer, did you first send any type of conciliatory note in advance?  Without that, you could not seriously have expected the buyer to accept.

In my experience, people - both buyers and sellers - are not great readers.  Your listing stated only Canada, US & Germany, but you did not actually exclude any others.  She may not have noticed, and she may have bid at the last simply because that is generally the best way to win an auction.

Ever see one of those listings where they claim to ship worldwide but there are so many exclusions it almost seems they'd rather not sell at all?  So yes, follow scifan's link and always select the many countries to whom you do not wish to ship.

At this point, however, you've got a bigger problem:  she can leave feedback.  That means you have 2 choices:  You can accept payment and ship the item with a warm note of reassurance that the item will arrive but shipments to Brazil take inordinately long and hence your initial reluctance to ship to her country. (You hope for positive feedback). 

Or you can refuse to ship, refund any money paid, and send a warm note of apology explaining that due to the exceedingly long delays by the Customs of her country you are unable to send the item. (You hope she does not leave negative).

So, -- get your listings set up, make a decision, and block her from doing this to you again:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

refund the money asap to avoid negative feedback and relist item , then make sure you check off the boxes of where you exlude shipping

Message 4 of 4
latest reply