Why are my funds still being held back for a month?

I have a perfect eBay record, both buying and selling. I've sold more than the required amount. So why is PayPal still holding on to my funds for a month?

And why lie about funds being "available"? Being available to spend within PayPal's system is not "available" at all. "Available" means the money is in my bank account.

And why lie about how long for the money to become "available"? It takes a month. Not so many weeks and days. That is a lie. It takes a month, every time.

You can't run a business with some **bleep** gumming up the works. When I do business on Etsy, there's no waiting. I only have a few items left to sell on eBay, and once that's done, I'm out of here.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Why are my funds still being held back for a month?

Have you tried calling PayPal?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

The rules about payment hold for 21 days have been in effect for years:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html

Similar rules exist in the "real world" for sellers wishing to get a merchant account for online business.

Brick and mortar stores have different rules since the credit card is present at time of the transaction but selling online presents additional risks and banks and financial institutions want to protect themselves.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

It's a Buyer Protection programme.

New sellers-- including those who have only sold a few items in the past 12 months, like you: sellers in high value /high fraud categories-- like electronics, jewellry and musical instruments, like you: and sellers with violations on their accounts -- unlike you: have their customers payments Held against their good performance.

For non-US sellers the period is 21 days from cleared payment. Meanwhile, although PP is Holding the payment, the seller is allowed to print out a shipping label from the Held payment to meet the 7 day deadline for Seller Protection.

If your buyer backs his PP account with a bank account, then what he is giving you is an e-cheque, which has to clear both the US and the (faster) Canadian banking systems before the 21 day countdown begins. This can take up to 10 days although it is usually faster.

If you need the money faster, use an online classified site. But these have more limited audiences.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

There's no such thing as a "payment hold". They're screwing around with your money, making interest.

The banks used to pull this b.s. until they were forced to knock it off.

@pierrelebel wrote:

Similar rules exist in the "real world" for sellers wishing to get a merchant account for online business.

Brick and mortar stores have different rules since the credit card is present at time of the transaction but selling online presents additional risks and banks and financial institutions want to protect themselves.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

What's even more aggravating is using the "print shipping label" b.s. It's set at a ridiculously high rate. Over $200 for the last item.

Again, both PayPal and eBay lie and try to tell you they're giving you a good or better deal on shipping. Bull-toot they are!

Going directly through the post, I can get a rate that's less than HALF their b.s. non-rate.

BUT- you can't get the cheaper rate using their crooked system.

I'm done with these **bleep**ers. It's credit card payment from now on or nothing.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@spaldingbrassworks wrote:

There's no such thing as a "payment hold". They're screwing around with your money, making interest.

The banks used to pull this b.s. until they were forced to knock it off.

@pierrelebel wrote:

No. eBay specifically stated this in an announcement in 2012.

http://announcements.ebay.com/2012/03/a-note-from-michael-jones/

PayPal has always stored balances (including held balances) in FDIC-insured bank accounts, which earn a modest interest rate. To eliminate any confusion with our customers over the intent of our policy, we have decided to move the equivalent amount of money of our total “held balances” to a non-interest bearing account. We hope that this clarifies the intent of our policies, which we believe have always been transparent: to ensure a trusted experience that buyers expect and to encourage increased sales for our merchants and sellers.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@spaldingbrassworks wrote:

What's even more aggravating is using the "print shipping label" b.s. It's set at a ridiculously high rate. Over $200 for the last item.

Again, both PayPal and eBay lie and try to tell you they're giving you a good or better deal on shipping. Bull-toot they are!

Going directly through the post, I can get a rate that's less than HALF their b.s. non-rate.

BUT- you can't get the cheaper rate using their crooked system.

I'm done with these **bleep**ers. It's credit card payment from now on or nothing.

Give a specific example of PayPal costing double what you get at the post office. You are most likely not using eBay and PayPal shipping correctly.

If you don't understand the eBay/PayPal system, ask for help with clear descriptions of situations you encounter. Most if not all can be explained to you by more experienced sellers here reading these forums.

You are frustrated with the issues you have but getting angry and posting in anger and replying in anger to the responses is not the way to get help here. Lots of experience here from members who are willing to help if you want it.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

"They're screwing around with your money, making interest."

No they are not.  PayPal has never once put a hold on my money.

They do for new accounts and sellers with limited selling experience or with sellers who have a high ratio of problems as described in the link provided earlier.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are normally no special rules or limits to use Paypal shipping.

Paypal is less expensive than the Canada Post counter rate for some categories such as Expedited Parcel, Tracked Packet and Xpresspost.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

The "print shipping label" opens up a menu of four bull**bleep** shipping options. Two are for small packages, the other two are presets I don't want.

I ALWAYS ship through the post office because it's always half as expensive as Pay-Puke/eBay.

The only way to avoid this nonsense is to predetermine the shipping costs when you list the item.

This item was an exception because I wasn't intending to ship to Japan.

**bleep**ing eBay and Pay-Puke both! You can't run a business when some jerk is **bleep**ing around with your money supply.

I don't give a rat's **bleep** what problems THEY've been having, money-wise. That's no reason to bone sellers up the **bleep** at every turn. And billing me over $30 on top of that for **bleep**-all? eBay can blow me!

It's no wonder eBay is circling the drain, and the Interweb forums are full of disgruntled Pay-Puke users.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

That's baloney. I can always find a Canada Post rate that's cheaper than the auto-generated rates by PayPal. Today's clunker was over $200 to Japan. A week ago it was a similar rate to Australia. I shipped off both, via Canada post, for around $96.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Bull**bleep**! I have a perfect record, both as a seller and a buyer. I've never had a complaint, ever. Not even close.

I've also jumped through all of eBay's hoops, after which the delay was supposed to **bleep** off.

It hasn't. It's still there.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

" I can always find a Canada Post rate that's cheaper than the auto-generated rates by PayPal."

Unfortunately, it is quite apparent that you have not learned how to purchase postage through PayPal. It is cheaper than the post office.  Period.

The only time the postal rates will be higher on PayPal is when you select a more expensive service or feed the system the wrong information (weight or measurements).

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

"have a perfect record, both as a seller and a buyer."

The record as a buyer is irrelevant to the PayPal hold.

With only two feedbacks as a seller in nine years, it is conclusive to your inexperience on eBay as a seller under this User ID.  That is why the money is held for twenty-one days as per policy (link supplied earlier).

The language you use on these board will not help eBay and PayPal change their mind.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"They're screwing around with your money, making interest."

No they are not.  PayPal has never once put a hold on my money.

They do for new accounts and sellers with limited selling experience or with sellers who have a high ratio of problems as described in the link provided earlier.

Yes, they are! They are complaints all over the Internet about this.

They do NOT just do this for new accounts. I've been dealing with eBay FOR YEARS, I have a perfect record, and I passed their bar of $350 in sales before they stop holding back funds.

As I said, they're lying . And it's not just me. There are forums all over the Internet complaining about these crooks.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"have a perfect record, both as a seller and a buyer."

The record as a buyer is irrelevant to the PayPal hold.

With only two feedbacks as a seller in nine years, it is conclusive to your inexperience on eBay as a seller under this User ID.  That is why the money is held for twenty-one days as per policy (link supplied earlier).

The language you use on these board will not help eBay and PayPal change their mind.

eBay's stated policy is that you have to surpass something like $350 in sales. This is another lie. I passed that a while back and it has made no difference.

If my bank worked this way, they'd be out of business so fast it'd make their heads swim.

As I said before, you can't do business properly with some moron dicking around with your funds.

I sell items on a number of sites. This is the ONLY site that **bleep**s you around like this.

I'm done with eBay and PayPal both. They're liars and crooks. It's no wonder eBay's sales are going down the toilet (yes, a precious few are doing okay, but overall eBay is going down the toilet). Good! It's exactly what he deserves!

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Please read the policy carefully.  The link was supplied earlier

New seller status ends once you've met all the following criteria:

• It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale.

• You've completed more than 25 US sales transactions.

• You have more than US$250 in total sales.

Again:  " all the following criteria"

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Please read the policy carefully.  The link was supplied earlier

New seller status ends once you've met all the following criteria:

• It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale.

• You've completed more than 25 US sales transactions.

• You have more than US$250 in total sales.

Again:  " all the following criteria"

Apparently you need glasses.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

So you've completed more than 25 U.S. sale transactions?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply