Why do so many sellers beg for a positive feedback?

A lot of sellers beg for a positive feedback, when they are posting an item for sale.  I have seen many sellers stating that they will give me (the buyer) a positive feedback, if I have given them one first.

My question is this.  If I buy an item and pay for it instantly, why wouldn't the seller give me a positive feedback? I don't need to feel that I am being blackmailed by the seller in order to receive something that I deserve, do I?

This is very annoying and I find that it "cheapens" the image of the seller.  Just my thought.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Why do so many sellers beg for a positive feedback?

The reason that they do that is purely on the fact that you can rate a seller on feedback, but can't rate a buyer on feedback.

Buyers have the ability to leave a positive, neutral, or negative feedback. So if you have a bad transaction with me, you are able to leave a negative feedback for me. But if I have a bad transaction with you, I don't have the ability to leave you a bad feedback. So feedback for buyers, just shows experience, not necessarily trust. If you're a buyer that buys items on ebay, but says that you never get them (even though you do, i.e. scamming), you will not have the ability to have a feedback level under 100%. Which shouldn't be possible, but is.

In my opinion, that's why sellers care more about feedback and beg for it.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hello 'lyndarmp',

I understand what you are saying, and 'feedback' is a frequent topic on the boards. 

Mind you, I think 'begging' is a bit unfair, maybe even inaccurate.

<<I have seen many sellers stating that they will give me (the buyer) a positive feedback,

if I have given them one first>>

Feedback is very important to a seller, - receiving it, - and positive, obviously.  Apart from all

the usual flurry about DSR and seller status and how 'low marks' can cause difficulties,

feedback lets other buyers know about a seller.  Lots of positive feedback shouts out to

others "here's a good seller".  And if they don't get sufficient good marks, they could indeed

have their selling accounts restricted.

So they're not really 'begging' so much as stating their personal feedback policy.

The ebay policy on feedback is that it is optional (leaving and receiving), for both buyers

and sellers.  However a seller chooses to do it, that's okay with ebay.  You've probably seen

this 'all about feedback' link, with all the assorted related links on the right:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/allaboutfeedback.html

<< If I buy an item and pay for it instantly, why wouldn't the seller give me a positive feedback?>>

Because that's not how she does it.  The choice is hers.

Some sellers have it set up to leave automatic feedback right after you pay.  Some leave it after

they mark it as shipped, and some wait until they actually have it in the mail.  Others wait until

they receive it so as to know that the transaction is completely concluded and there is nothing

more for them to do.  This may be done manually by the individual, or set up automatically so that

when you leave it, you automatically get it within a minute or two.  Others do it in batches, every few

days, or even once a month or so.

And of course there are those who, if you do not leave them their positive in good time, with a full

set of 5 stars (they can easily figure this out), then you aren't getting any at all.  Smiley LOL

<<I don't need to feel that I am being blackmailed by the seller in order to receive something that I deserve,>>

You're not being 'blackmailed', not really.  Sellers often feel that way because poor feedback can

affect their ability to sell.  Poor outgoing feedback can affect your ability to bid, because sellers can

remove bids on their items if they feel they need to. 

Sellers may therefore feel they are being held hostage by the feedback system because too often

buyers will leave bad feedback just because they're having a bad day. 

So if you want positive feedback, the best way to get it is to leave it.  That is, if the seller hasn't left it

once it's in the mail.  I find that most do it that way, but even if they don't bother at all, it's their choice.

Feedback is not as important for buyers because even a horrible buyer can click 'buy' and it's a

done deal.  You need it for bidding and negotiating though. 

Some sellers will tell you that a buyer doesn't need it at all, but that's just not true.

Because of the feedback I have - incoming and outgoing - I am able to get sellers to ship items with

less expensive services, such as getting rid of that £5.50 'signed for' charge, as well as having

sellers ship something 'Surface' mail which is very risky for the seller.

If you get your positive feedback right after you pay, all you can expect is "fast payment, thanks".

That's nice, but I have many personal comments of kindness from sellers, -- and they mean it,

because we've had such a very pleasant exchange.

<<This is very annoying and I find that it "cheapens" the image of the seller>>

Cheapens?  I've never thought so.  That whole 'giving -receiving' thing will also be influenced by

how people were brought up, their perception of themselves in relation to others, as well as their view

of the 'business' aspect of their ebay sales. 

You can easily discern how a seller leaves feedback by comparing the number of incoming vs. outgoing.

If the seller leaves it first, there will be a much higher number of "left for others" than that which is received.

A lot of buyers buy but don't leave it at all, so sellers who leave it first will invariably have a higher

number of 'outgoing' feedback.

Although personally I don't think it should matter either way.

So, . . .  if you want positive feedback and haven't yet received it, be sure to leave some. 

Happy shopping  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I find most of my sellers that do that are from China and the majority leave me feedback immediately after I pay, and I pay immediately.  Some, not all from that country ask me for positive feedback.  Of course I never do that until I receive item.  Annoying?  at first I thought it was a bit pushy - now it doesn't bother me at all.  Not worth stewing about little things like that.  Cheers

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Any good seller will leave you feedback right after you pay as that is when the buyers job is done ... Some withhold feedback with a fairytale in there head that if you leave feedback that is when you deserve to get it which is dumb in my opinion...

When you first start selling I understand as it is very imprtant because within your first few 100 sales 1 Negative can have you selling account closed...

I only get feedback for about 50% of transaction and I am fine with that ... IF a buyer leaves feedback they are either and advid ebayer,Really happy or really dissappointed and the ones that don't leave feedback simply don't care to do so and that is just fine with me ..

I have never and will never send feedback reminders or bug a buyer for feedback It is a waste of time for me and like you say annoying..

The only thing I do Is try to resolve Neg feedback and though most of the time buyers change there feelings on the situation they usually don't change the feedback and the revision request just expires...

If it bugs you next time they asks you 2 or 3 times leave them  a neutral saying transaction perfect seller annoyed me with feedback request so here you go ...

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Smiley Sad

I agree... I have had to wait sometimes 30 days + for most of my orders from China. They promise the items have been sent. But I got hit hard by two of them.  All excuses, The festival delay (which I understood and gave them extra ample time), then backlog of parcels, oh and invalid tracking numbers that they finally confessed to after two weeks, they reship with a valid tracking number, then defective product arrives, which would tear your hair out. ( I attached a picture of one of the curlformers) The other order had a sticky filmy substance on all the curlformers. It was gross!! The seller asked that I wash them. I did, and messaged back that you would have to use a degreaser to get off whatever it is.... And who would put that in their hair after using that. Degreaser didn't work nor did it ever fully rinse out of that weaved material. Degrease and put on my childs scalp!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a chance......  Seller claimed it was a mechanical malfunction.

They promised to reship providing I leave positive feedback. Never again.. Boy did I get burnt, and there is nothing I can do. One shipped the same defective product, I sent pictures etc. Everything they needed. What a waste of my time.

They apologized, but I had a feeling they would never arrive. The other parcel was shipped, I was given a tracking # and here the parcel was accepted by someone all the way over in Quebec, and I am on the other side of Canada.. They claim the post office made a mistake..  It's the seller that labels the parcels, and sends you the tracking info. I have the recipient's name in a town in Quebec and did a 411 on that name, Canada Post gave me the delivery certificate.  I am going to make a few calls to see maybe they got my order by mistake. The seller will not respond, my money is gone and I will never see the products.

Funny thing is I believe both orders came from the same seller, but just a different user name. Same packaging and writing of what was claimed and the value declared.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can I post their names,, you can see I left positive feedback, but in the comment

area I mention defective product, seller reshipping. I will never trust another ever again!!!!!!!!!! Sooo very upset!!!

Please look at my reviews that I have left for the purchases involved, you'll see that I left feedback with a reship promise. Note the sellers usernames and DO NOT buy from them, don't waste your time or money, be extremely careful, do not fall into the same trap I did. I have made many purchases over the years, but I can honestly say that things in the past 5 - 6 months are just not going smooth like they used to from that area.

Be careful!!

fire-.-ice

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The only items I buy from China are clothing......and all most have been great and so different, that's why I buy from there.  No problemo (happened twice) if it doesn't fit - I pay so little, I just donate - no way would I pay return on a low $ item.  It's not unusual at all to wait 40 days or more.  I never would consider buying anything else from there.  As regards tracking nos. - if you pay for item with "Free Shipping" you shouldn't expect tracking - you might get the date it was taken into P.O., but that's all.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

98% of my orders come from there..  As I said I haven't had any issues until this past 5-6 months, and I've been a member since 2001.  And with all those orders, 90% of them did have tracking numbers with free shipping

@2011limey1 wrote:

The only items I buy from China are clothing......and all most have been great and so different, that's why I buy from there.  No problemo (happened twice) if it doesn't fit - I pay so little, I just donate - no way would I pay return on a low $ item.  It's not unusual at all to wait 40 days or more.  I never would consider buying anything else from there.  As regards tracking nos. - if you pay for item with "Free Shipping" you shouldn't expect tracking - you might get the date it was taken into P.O., but that's all.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Like others, I wouldn't buy products that could carry some sort of safety risk for me or my family.  Like stuff I would put on my child's scalp. :s  Nothing against China but the fact is our safety standards here are quite different from theirs.

As for feedback, as a seller I don't beg for it but it does bother me when buyers don't leave it.  I usually sell clothes, perfume and new makeup and I normally get feedback right away but with DVDs and kid's toys it's often disjointed or not given.  I would rather not ask for feedback, might be a case of "careful what you wish for".

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Careful what I wish for? I knew they would be defective on arrival? Like I said I haven't had any issues, except for in the past 5-6 months.. I pay for my things immediately after I purchase them, not sure what else sellers expect. Leaving feedback is just a common courtesy. I actually prefer to purchase products from China rather than other Countries. If you do your research and know exactly what you are looking for then it's not a big deal. I've seen identical products from China, Canada and United States, and to be honest the only difference is the price gouging that goes on both with the item being sold and the shipping. They are brand new curlers, not used and the shipping was free, not the same cost as the product being sold. If I had an issue I most certainly wouldn't hesitate to send it back. I would NEVER buy a used product regardless what it is. But as I say each to their own, we all have an opinion and no one deserves to feel belittled for it.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

So, an opinion that differs from your own makes you feel "belittled"? 

You missed my point about not "begging" for feedback and "careful what you wish for" wasn't in response to you.  I have 100% faith in the items I sell but I'm not going to beg for feedback as the simple act of begging could cause someone to leave a negative.  I do understand those who do ask for it though as I know what goes into selling on eBay and feedback is so important for sellers' reps.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I'm sorry, I would never tell someone "careful what you wish for"..
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I wasn't telling anyone "careful what you wish for"....I was saying that if I "wished for" positive feedback and got negative, that's a "careful what you wished for" scenario.  But, something tells me I'm not talking with someone who is ever going to get it...I give up.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

mbpctek
Community Member

I've been with ebay over 10 years..Way i see it sellers should leave feedback 1st, i want my customer to be satisfied before i leave feedback, thats the way most did it through the years i've been with ebay. and i do the same. I don't like when a seller is asking for feedback if they didn't give me one. if you haven't given feedback for several weeks after receiving an item then i'll ask and leave one.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply