Why does Ebay needs to ship priority post to Canada - this make deals no longer viable - extra $14!!

When I wish for an item, I pay for shipping charges. Lately, sellers tell me that they charge the real shipping charges, then ebay ships it internationally
It cost me an extra 14$ to ship to Canada. Makes no sense on items less than $20
Instead of ordering from south of our border, I will order directly from Europe ebay seller. It is cheaper.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why does Ebay needs to ship priority post to Canada - this make deals no longer viable - extra $14!!

Yes, the buyer always pays shipping. Even the very popular Free Shipping really means the cost of shipping has been included in the asking price.

Free Shipping gives the seller a discount on the fees she pays when she uses it.

I think what you are talking about is the duty and tax charged on payment under the Global Shipping Program.

This was institued in part  to encourage US sellers to sell internationally, a way of increasing eBay's business by making international shipping painless.

It has been badly explained to US sellers, who are currently the only group who can use it. (There are rumours it may be expanded to EU sellers.)

The Global Shipping Program does not require the seller to ship by Priority Post*. The seller ships with Delivery Confirmation, widely available for USPS services, to Pitney Bowes  who trans-ship from Kentucky around the world.

The extra money charged is for duty (if applicable), sales tax and a $5 (ish) fee to PB. 

Makes no sense on items less than $20

EBay does not encourage using the GSP on items valued below $50. They don't do it very well , however.

I f your seller is demanding that you pay for Global Priority (not GSP) you can ask (before bidding) that she ship by First Class International. Let her know that this service carries up to four pounds of product and is Delivery Confirmed to Canada. It is also much cheaper than Global Priority.

She is not required to agree. But you already know what to do about that.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The extra money charged is for duty (if applicable), sales tax and a $5 (ish) fee to PB.

There is another extra charge for the international part of the shipping. If the item is so cheap no taxes are payable the $5 fee may be folded into the international shipping charge.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The Global Shipping Program does not require the seller to ship by Priority Post*. The seller ships with Delivery Confirmation, widely available for USPS services, to Pitney Bowes  who trans-ship from Kentucky around the world. . . .If your seller is demanding that you pay for Global Priority (not GSP) you can ask (before bidding) that she ship by First Class International. Let her know that this service carries up to four pounds of product and is Delivery Confirmed to Canada. It is also much cheaper than Global Priority.

What's likely causing the confusion here is the umbrella description of the Global Shipping Program's shipping method as "International Priority Shipping".  Some people misread that as "Priority Post."

Message 4 of 4
latest reply