Why is E-Bay U.S. setting such high shipping costs. They are really over-priced.

The shipping from the U.S. is cost prohibitive.  I am now buying through other countries that ship with lower shipping costs and receive items faster.

How can sending a small ring in a packet cost more than the ring itself? 

Does anyone else find this to be out of sight!

Cheers, Elaine.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why is E-Bay U.S. setting such high shipping costs. They are really over-priced.

marnotom!
Community Member

@elainef2010 wrote:

How can sending a small ring in a packet cost more than the ring itself? 

What shipping method is the seller using?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Some are international priority (sign for) and some are internation mail (general).  For example, I wanted to purchase a sterling silver .925 ring which cost $30.00; the shipping - $62.00!  And, then "another $7.00" was added to cover custom charges.

If you want to see actual charges you don't need to go too far on E-Bay to see the exhorbitant shipping fees.

I am just curious why some are so inflated?  Are they low balling the price of the item and then making the profit off the shipping cost?

Just curious......... Elaien.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It sounds to me as though the "International Priority" shipping you're referring to is shipping through the Global Shipping Program.  There should be a banner near the top of listing pages using this shipping method that states that the Global Shipping Program is being used and a link to further information.

In a nutshell, this shipping method involves the seller shipping to a warehouse in Kentucky which then does the necessary customs paperwork and then ships the item in a container-load of freight to Canada, where it clears customs as part of the freight shipment before getting separated from the container and forwarded to you by another shipper (likely Canada Post).

There are scads of threads on the Global Shipping Program on this board and others.  It's generally acknowledged that it's not a good shipping method for small and/or modestly-priced items, but the sellers that have adopted its use either don't know they've registered for it or else they haven't done much international shipping prior to using the GSP and have no idea how much it can cost buyers using it.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply