Why is eBay becoming so vague with location information in the listings?

procms
Community Member

eBay listings used to show locations of the items for sale now the listing will show only the country of sale. When you open the listing somedays there will be no location information on another day there will be the state or province and at other times the city or town will be shown. Why is this? A member is required to provide this information when listing an object.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's probably the seller's decision rather than something that eBay is enforcing.

The purpose of location, to my mind, is to let the buyer know if the item will have to cross the border and possibly attract duty and brokerage fees.

If you are looking for local sellers, watch for Local Pickup.

The postal system is not particularly reliable in terms of time. That is to say, it can take as long for an item to be delivered across town as it takes to move two provinces away.

The really problematical ones are those that either give the location as "Hong Kong, Canada" or the location of the (dropshipping) seller rather than of the warehouse the item will be shipped from.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

A rule came in a while back... something like

If you state the postal code (Canada)  when your listing is prepared... the city/town  or where se4ller lives is shown.

No postal code  and only the country... Canada Is hown....

This may not be the exact rule.

But many sellers choose not to show where the item for sale is located.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I think Ebay should enforce a rule to indicate the true location of the item and confirm sellers' address as such.

I purchased from Montreal Quebec when in fact it was shipped from China, now it's a claim with Paypal because it's not authentic.

I also made a purchase from Bulgaria and now see tracking number from China Post, my hunch says this item not authentic as well.

Yes I know price is an indicator but not always and yes items may be authentic but again not always,  I'm just saying that I would avoid buying certain items from Asia and I hate wasting time and money to prove my claim to Paypal.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply