Why is item marked shipped by eBay when it is not shipped?

I'm dealing with a seller who has not communicated anything.

4 days after I paid for the auction, they transmitted the shipping information to Canada Post.

eBay marks the item as shipped and Canada post says the item hasn't been received.

Why is the item showing shipped by eBay when the seller hasn't taken it to ship it?

Obviously I won't buy from these people again.  They did finally ship it, but 8 days to get a package to Canada post on an instant transfer payment is just stupid. let alone with no communication whatsoever.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

From the seller's side. Did you pay through Paypal from a...

Ebay didn't mark the item as shipped. The seller did.

How fast you pay has nothing to do with how fast the seller ships the item.

If you do not like the seller's communication skills or how long they took to ship the item, you can reflect that in feedback and DSR stars.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Ebay didn't mark the item as shipped. The seller did.

How fast you pay has nothing to do with how fast the seller ships the item.

If you do not like the seller's communication skills or how long they took to ship the item, you can reflect that in feedback and DSR stars.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

From the seller's side.

Did you pay through Paypal from a credit card or from your bank account? The latter is an "e-cheque" which takes several days to clear the banking system. Your instant payment is not all that instant.

If you did pay from your bank account, allow a week to the time before shipment.

Was there a weekend of holiday involved? A payment completed on August 30 would mean that the parcel would not move until September 3, due to the Labour Day weekend. There would be no necessity to print a shipping label before September 2 or 3. because the parcel is just going to sit in the postal outlet or mailbox until then.

If the seller is in a smaller community, Canada Post may not mark it as recieved until it gets to a Terminal which could take another 24 hours , although it is usually faster.

You have 45 days to open an Item Not Received dispute.  

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It was instant transfer payment by credit card within 4 minutes of item end because I happened to be at the computer at the time. I thought of the weekend holiday thing, but there was definitely not holiday here.

The seller finally replied and her position is that the information from Canada Post is not true. I hate Canada Post as much as the next person, but when they are telling me the electronic information was submitted to them during a day and time (late Saturday) when all of their offices and even random retail locations are closed, and the package itself was accepted at a location many days later, I actually believe them. Ottawa is not a small town, and it's only an hour and a half away. The terminal information is from the day after they say the package was actually accepted. Once Canada Post actually received the item, it took the standard 2 days from Ottawa to here to arrive.

A slow ship is a slow ship... Not the end of the world, but to lie about something so totally stupid and trackable and then ask what my problem is ? If she had contacted me and said hey something came up I can't ship this for 8 days, I would say thanks for letting me know... I also noticed somebody else left this seller negative feedback two days ago, so it's not only me...

I haven't left a seller negative feedback since 10 or 11 years ago when somebody shipped me something 4 sizes too large from what I bought, and told me to bugger off about it. This situation is so ridiculous I'm waiting right now so I can word it concisely and clearly.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I get what you are saying... Basically by transmitting the information to Canada Post electronically to obtain a tracking number, they can mark the item shipped in eBay even if it hasn't gone anywhere. It seems like eBay / Paypal should be able to fix their system so something doesn't show shipped until the package is actually accepted by the shipping company, whether it's FedEx or Canada Post or UPS or whomever.

I will follow your advice and reflect it in the feedback. Thanks.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply