Why is reimbursement less than what I paid?

I recently returned an item and ebay had to force reimbursement to me because the seller would not reimburse me.  I paid $127.44 canadian plus had to pay $17.89 canadian in return postage (total $145.33 canadian).  I read the policy on ebay is that, if the item is not as advertised, I get reimbursed for return postage also, but then I was told that is not the case.  The amount reimbursed to me was $86.60 canadian.  So the seller gets their item back and I have lost $58.73 and have nothing to show for it.  How does this even happen?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Two possibilities come to mind.

What was the reason cited for the return? All return cases are not equal.

Also, if you paid duty either to Canada Post for the Customs Revenue Agency or to the Global Shipping Program, you are required to get that duty paid returned separately since the seller doesn't have your money.

With more details about your case, we will have better answers for you. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The item was returned because it was nor as advertised and it was acknowledged that i was entitled to a full refund. I guess I received less because the rate of the Canadian dollar changed. I received the correct US dollar, but lost money because the rate changed. Doesn't seem fair. I also did not get reimbursed for my return postage even though I was told to pay for it and get reimbursed because the seller could not get Canadian return postage. In the end, the seller received their item back and are out nothing, and I am out approximately $60 with absolutely nothing to show for it.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You will have to call eBay Customer Service to make them fix that for you. With an item that is Significantly Not as Described, the seller is obligated to pay Return shipping. If they're international, that gets to be more complicated, but it can be rectified. Use Help & Contact Buying Problems to find a number to call.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply