Would you resend a parcel if it was returned unclaimed at your expense?

sheflly
Community Member

Hello,

I recently sold a DVD for just over $2 with free shipping and it was just returned to me unclaimed from their post office.  The buyer wants me to resend the item but I'm unwilling to resend it for free.  It cost me over $2 the first time (yes I made zero profit on this)

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

sheflly
Community Member

Would you refund the money, re-ship or have them pay to resend it as they did not claim it from the post office the first time?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I would resend, in this case. Ya got a cheapo buyer and they can cause trouble. Modify yer business model to account for this sort of thing.

Asking a cheapo buyer for more money is not a good plan.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I don't mind (and expected to) lose on the initial deal but not sure I can justify it twice.  Is there no solution in which this does not reflect negatively?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

There's really no "right or perfect" answer as I find that each situation is different and it depends on what sort of vibe I get from the buyer. You might explain to the buyer that you would have to charge to ship it again or if they prefer, you can give them a full refund.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Did they explain why they didn't pick it up at the post office?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

They told me that they don't check the box often so that's why it was returned.  Why bid on something if you won't pick it up?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hi! Monday I'm sending out the same item for the 2nd time to a fellow in CA. It came back to me with a return to sender, however he says it will be ok this time (despite being in USA, English is not his first language). Don't know how he knows it will be ok this time but anyway. I tried to get him to just take a full refund and call it a day but he didn't go for it, so I'm paying for it to go out again....the cost of sending the 2nd time is a lot less than the potential cost of a negative or low DSRs....although those are still a possibility despite my efforts to keep him happy.....

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I am waiting to hear back from the buyer to see how she wants to proceed.  My gut tells me that I will get negative feedback at the end of this no matter what.  It's too bad that eBay cannot interject into these matters

Message 9 of 9
latest reply