Your account statement is ready, [RealName] (for first half of 2016)

Received today a very convincing email that is highly suspicious. It has my PayPal email address and my real name. Here is a paste of it.

NB. The first half of 2016 is not net over.

Your account statement for the first half of 2016 is here, MyRealName View Online
PayPal
PayPal
YOUR ACCOUNT STATEMENT IS READY
YOUR ACCOUNT STATEMENT IS READY
Dear MyRealName,
Your account statement for the first half of 2016 is here. To access your statement, please proceed to your Account Overview.
Sincerely,
PayPal Canada
  Account    Help    Fees    Security    Apps    Shop
  This email was sent to , for the ongoing support and maintenance of your account. To manage your communication preferences, please visit our preference centre.

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Centre by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or email.

PayPal is committed to your privacy, learn more about our privacy policy.

Copyright © 2016 PayPal Canada, 130 King St W, PO Box 427, Toronto, ON M5X 1E3. All rights reserved.
  NA04030

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It is a spoof.

Forward (including headers) to spoof@paypal.com

The fact your real name is included is not unusual.  PayPal was hacked many years ago and hackers did get the name of users matching email addresses (no banking or credit card information was hacked at the time)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My particulars could have come from a seller, too.

I forwarded the email to spoof@paypal.com but it was undelivered because "This form of attachment has been used by
    recent viruses or other malware"... so then I pasted it to PayPal.

Stupid spoofer sends out the notice of statement for first half of 2016 before first half of 2016 has arrived.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

How to say spam scam:

"by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or email."

Something PayPal would never say for an email. Send the source message to spoof@paypal.com

-..-

Additional data:

The Canadian address given "130 King St W, PO Box 427, Toronto, ON M5X 1E3" is used by 100's of companies according to a quick google search.

It's one of the those executive office setups where you rent space, meeting rooms and staff as required. Office space and staffing for those on a budget. Choices of private, shared or virtual offices.

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

A while ago I was getting many notes from Paypal to check my account and ebay to ensure my info is correct - they said it's been over a year.  It stopped for a long time, but I'm getting them again but they DON'T use my name.  But even so, I just delete.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If people just delete/ignore these and not forward them to spoof@paypal.com then they will continue to have more success scamming.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply