a quick question about GSP

May be a silly question but was wondering if the GSP  only  applies to Canada or does it also work  for other countries? If someone from England or Australia buy something from one in the US are they also subject to duty taxes etc.  if seller uses GSP. Just wondering??

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: a quick question about GSP

Yes, all buyers in GSP eligible countries get stuck with whatever they would in theory pay locally in import sales tax. The practice for mail packages is that many pass untaxed, so buyers in other countries are making much the same complaints.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Yes, all buyers in GSP eligible countries get stuck with whatever they would in theory pay locally in import sales tax. The practice for mail packages is that many pass untaxed, so buyers in other countries are making much the same complaints.

Except for Australia, where there's a very high limit for allowing mailed items to go untaxed.  In that country, the big beef with the GSP is that its shipping charges to Australia are very high for small items.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

True, I looked at the Australian boards today. Inappropriate use is the problem. The level of complaint is nowhere higher than the Candian boards.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks eveyone for your replies. I was under the impression it was only Canada. No wonder my sales have gone up internationally. I bypass any auction with GSP and i guess they are too!!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

True, I looked at the Australian boards today. Inappropriate use is the problem. The level of complaint is nowhere higher than the Candian boards.

Expect more posts on the .com site's International Trading discussion board and answer centers from Mexican buyers if the claim that there's a US$300 tax-free threshold on postal imports is correct.

So far, I haven't been able to verify this information myself.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply