buyer said INR, want full refund but don't want to open a case

Sigh... 2 buyer said INR, I replied to open a case, but they insist want full refund without opening a case.

One year ago I prefer give refund without a case being opened, but not now, but seems buyer don't want to do their part.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Unless you have proof of delivery what possible advantage to you it the buyer opens a case?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Oh well, I just want  a record that the buyer file INR.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

yep, the game has changed. everything is now driven toward buyers.

i'm so happy i have my home store.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Unless you have proof of delivery what possible advantage to you it the buyer opens a case? 

The only advantage that I might suggest is that possibly a buyer who is making a fraudulent protest about an item not received might be deterred by having to open a formal "case".  A lot of surmise, I know, but perhaps a disinclination to be exposed could keep some opportunistic scammers from following through with their schemes. 

Maybe...or maybe not. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I have never opened a case as a buyer.

Is it hard?

Why would they don't want to open and keep choosing a topic other/ shipping to contact me?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@asiahhijab wrote:

I have never opened a case as a buyer.

Is it hard?

Why would they don't want to open and keep choosing a topic other/ shipping to contact me?

No, it's quite easy to open a case -- the links are simple to access from the buyer's "Purchase History" page.  It's possible these buyers could be avoiding the "formal" procedure in order to get a refund out of you without any further effort.  As I said, opportunistic scammers, like kids who grab items and run.  However it's very difficult to know for sure. 

By the way, where were you shipping these items (what country), and by what method (any delivery confirmation included)?  That could make a big difference in deciding how to handle these requests.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

buyer in US (WA), I send by air mail small package on 26 nov.

Base on the feedback I have received, it usually take a week or a few days more my packages arrived in US, so I know I have to refund this buyer if she said she did not receive it.

In the past I have never had problem delay on arrival for small air package to US, but I have had couple of delay for light package (arrive after a month).

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Whether or not they open a case (I wouldn't push them unless you have tracking), I think your main goal will be to try to avoid them leaving you a negative or low DSRs. I actually put the stuff below in another thread today, but I think you might be able to make use of it too.... it might give you a chance to keep a decent rating and depending on the honesty of your buyer you might be able to recoup your money after the item arrives (my experience to WA is that it can take a long time sometimes - I am in Ontario) 

Here's what I put in the other thread:

I've crafted form letters I use in situations like this, it helps to have them pre-written because all of us are grumpy when this happens and pre-written letters are safer.

You can use any portion of this wording you think would be worthwhile...you are going to have to edit it to your situation as a case is not currently open.....

Hi ????! Your stamps were mailed as promised on Mon. ??? 25. They do not have a tracking number, the Canada Post cost for this would have added another $15 to the shipping cost! It is very common for items to take longer this time of year, this is especially true to ?? from here. 3 to 4 weeks is not abnormal, I believe it is customs that causes the delay. Because a case is now open, I will refund you the money now out of my own funds. On the assumption that your stamps do arrive after that, please let me know so I can send another invoice and you can pay for them again (small lots like this are self insured so I am out 100% if they do not show up). It is very rare for packages to never arrive, over 99% of the time they just take longer than one would expect to get there. Have a great day!!!!

Using this process seems to have created a decent "conversion" rate, with folks either closing the case before I refund and before they get the item (which exposes them to me being dishonest by the way) or letting me know afterward and I invoice them/they pay again.... 

Maybe you'll be able to do a conversion!!!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your suggestion ricaramic.

Unfortunately I have already emailed my buyer to open a case first, then I will issue refund.

She has not replied me back yet.

I'm still waiting her respond.

I know I shouldn't force her to open a case which she doesn't want (for whatever reason).

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hum. This is interesting and not necessarily wrong. why the shakedown for a refund w/o opening a case. That is unusual. If they open a case, and you refund, the case does not count against you.

It can count against the buyer. Buyer that do that routinely get flagged. Too many complaints and they lose their right to complain.

I "think" you are doing this correctly.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 11
latest reply