does being over moderated on the boards discourage you

Does it discourage you from posting and having a healthy debate or from coming on here to help others ?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: does being over moderated on the boards discourage you

when they first switched over to this board format I found the whole thing including the moderators extremely annoying.

funny, now I can't even look at the new US boards and these ones don't seem so bad! - I guess you get used to it

I think it is open to debate as to whether eBay even wants to have a community. The revisions of the US boards are enough to drive anyone away, although supposedly more friendly to younger generations. The overall profitability of the whole "community" thing must be hard to evaluate. Also, these "communities" are of minimal benefit to corporate sellers - therefore not really in the sweet spot for eBay to care about. Some net businesses, such as Go Daddy, have ditched their live forums and replaced them with "fake" forums, where you ask a question and it pulls up a "post" that has minimal bearing on your question.

Participation on the boards must have gone down by x20, if not x100 since I first looked in here. How much of that is due to facebook etc. idk. I found the largest drop-offs were definitely during the two major board changeovers.

One thing for sure is - if there are going to be moderators enforcing standards, then people have to know what the standards are.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I dont think this board is overmoderated.

A member made a bigot post and the thread was locked. Ebay shouldnt tolerate that. Im surprised that member didnt get banned. He has a habit of posting similar posts.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I haven't posted on this board a lot over the last year but the first post I did make a few weeks ago got re-directed or something to another board.

The reason I asked on this board is because I know some of the people on this board, and they do buy and sell on eBay, and I would trust their answer to my question more than I would a strangers.

So it did annoy me. I didn't know that we weren't allowed to ask eBay questions on this board. 🙂 I know now.

I'm not sure what comment got the other thread locked. As normal, there were various opinions but all were polite.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The thread got shut down " due to hostile comments and interpersonal disputes"

It came right after the comment " How is this guy not banned here for being a bigot?."

So, if I had to make a guess, it was the bigot comment that got it shut down.

Perhaps we should allow people to have their opinions without the name-calling?

I do realize that some topics are emotional and many people have strong opinions but please keep in mind

this old saying "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

It's a defense of free speech. Let's have some. 🙂

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

"Do you find it surprising that in the majority of hot spots in the world today the most common religion is Islam?"

-So let me get this straight. This comment is ok?. Gotcha.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Hi Fixmusic.

It doesn't matter if I find that comment OK.That's their opinion.

You could respond by pointing out that most wars are started by white Christian countries. Attacking Muslim countries. You could also point out that more Jewish terrorist have carried out attacks on U.S. soil than Muslim terrorists. You could also point out that 7 times more people have died in Christian wars than have died in Muslim wars.

In all the wars since 1900, Christian nations have killed 73.3 million compared to 4.4 millon  for Muslim nations– 17 times more dead in Christian wars.

We're on the Western side ( Christian ) and so many people feel that any deaths caused by people of predominately Muslim countries is counted as terrorism but any deaths we cause are not counted on the Christian side. The war we started in Iraq and all the deaths is on the Christian side.

The truth is that most wars have nothing to do with religion. It has to do with money. In Iraq's case, oil.

When we kill their civilians we call it collateral damage. I don't believe we take the same care when firing on their neighborhoods as we would if we were firing on our own. I don't even think we would fire on one of our own neighborhoods if we thought a terrorist was living there.

That's my opinion anyways.

The poster has their opinion. The meaning of bigot is " a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions."

The world is full of people that have different opinions.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

We would not be honest if we think mods or ok' they treat us like kids'. Half the posters are gone. Many go off site to post.
It's not like we care much just that the peasants get upset when you change their gruel their used to. Poof
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Many moons ago when I first got a computer and as I wandered around in the Twilight Zone of the internet I found myself on a website with chat or discussion rooms. Within that site was a room for Harley riders and not only did I end up in it, but I ended up being asked to be a moderator by the room owner. Now you have to imagine a Harley room with members from gangs and lone wolfs and even ladies of the night. It could get pretty wild in there and few words were verboten, yet there were times it got out of hand and with the hit of a button someone was sent into the abyss to cool off. However despite how wild this room was there was one rule, no discussions about religion or politics. Why? Because they would turn into 1800's Tombstone on a hot night!

But lets be honest, one of the major problems with the internet can be the anonymity. Yes I know, it can be a necessity, but in real life, most people wouldn't say what they say in here to most other people's faces.

As much as I enjoy a good discussion about religion or politics and in real life that is no different, I find the internet brings out in people a darkness that no one wants to hear or see.

This site belongs to eBay, it's their bar and they can make the rules. Granted those rules can be vague at the best of times but nonetheless it's their bar. Can religion or politics actually be discussed without it turning into a war zone? Maybe. The other problem is, the 'typed' word can be misunderstood or taken as something else. We do much better listening to someone and at the same time seeing their face or hearing the inflections in their voice. For instance "did you notice all the wars are in countries with Islam" can be taken several ways depending on who says it and how they say it.

I said in here long long ago, do not let religious or political discussions, they never turn out well and there are an endless long lists of sites on the internet to go to for that if one wishes. Also the reality of it all is, in the end, no one really changes their views.

And just a word about moderation. In the past it was really bad in here. Things disappeared and you never knew why. People were sent on vacation and you never knew why. Discussing it with a mod was near impossible although I often did through pure persistence. But this new moderation seems to be better and you can talk to someone in a reasonable amount of time. I spoke to one just yesterday and although she couldn't go into details (company policy) she was very amicable and understanding. It was a pleasant change from the past.

Like Les, I don't come in here much anymore. A lot of the people have left. Some just gave up on eBay for assorted reasons, others died, for some the thrill was gone and for others Facebook became their world. It was like the family left the farm and when you came back the weeds were overgrown and someone had built new buildings. It just wasn't the same. Change at first can be hard to get use to but eventually you do and move on. Photography has always been my hobby and I came across a person on the internet with his own website, so I'm starting my own as well. It will have my photography and that of others (with recognition). The other fellow has a comment section and we discuss photos and even religion and politics but it's never turned into the 'wild west'.

I'll still keep coming back here (I wouldn't want valve to feel alone) and maybe one day, things will get back to the way they were. After all, it's still home.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

That statement was discussed in the news media lately. CNN I believe.

I reported the bigot attack.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Oh ok because I reported you just as soon as I made that post and pm'd the mod about your post and she locked the thread right away.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

you realize they can remove a post instead of entire thread right...

People have different views on alot of things doesn't mean yours is wrong or right ..

many peoples opinions will offend others thats just part of it all ..

For Example Personally religion offends me doesn't mean I am going going to report everyone who believes something responsible for millions of deaths and genocides throughout history ..

Whether right wrong or bigot i always love to read view on things whether tasteful or not and yes some post should for sure be taken down but Post not entire threads ..

i mean if people can't read things they don't agree with without taking it personal all the time one should probably just write there own view and re read them and avoid discussion and debates ...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Sometimes people are offended by the facts even thought they are correct.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Im sure that member will be watching his posts from now on.

Im so glad I live in Toronto. We have zero tolerance for that kind of talk over here. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

That's correct NU. Telling it like it is aka being political correct is not something very many have the intestinal fortitude to express on the threads. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

PC get's you a one way ticket out of Dodge city,is this forum was whisky we would be drinking water lol
Message 16 of 16
latest reply