eBay hourglass payment

Got an hourglass for payment on ebay today.

Why? Because ...

My buyer paid my paypal account directly (rather than using the eBay invoice),

then manually marked the item on eBay as paid. Result: hourglass for the payment.

How to get the eBay hourglass to disappear:

Manually mark it as paid on eBay (after verifying with paypal).

-..-

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay hourglass payment

I had hourglass for payments that were made not from buyer's credit cards but from their bank accounts.

As far a I remember the hourglass stays for duration of the bank's clearance (about 1 week for Canada and USA) and FOREVER for Germany.

Usually PAYPAL sends an associated message stating "SO NOT SHIP until the payment is cleared".

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

eBay hourglass payment

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Why? Because ...

then manually marked the item on eBay as paid. Result: hourglass for the payment.

-..-

They actually marked it as "payment sent" which is not exactly the same as "paid". Not the situation in your example I'm sure but scammers use this to make it look like it's paid so that when they send a fake PayPal payment message unsuspecting sellers will ship without checking.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay hourglass payment

@recped wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Why? Because ...

They actually marked it as "payment sent" which is not exactly the same as "paid". Not the situation in your example I'm sure but scammers use this to make it look like it's paid so that when they send a fake PayPal payment message unsuspecting sellers will ship without checking.

The little popup when I hovered over the hourglass said "buyer marked this paid" -- the buyer had also sent a message asking me to check paypal to make sure the payment went through okay.

I do agree: When it comes to money, always verify

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

eBay hourglass payment

SO THEY didn't check out through ebay..?? they just used your email and paid you direct.. that would be a first..

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eBay hourglass payment

Well, maybe not, I sell on .COM

I regularly have Canadians that want to pay me the equivalent converted amount in $C instead. It's in my best interest too because it saves the 5% ish loss converting from $C to US$ and back to C$ when I take it out.

In that case the only way I know of to do it is have them buy it the normal way in eBay but don't pay. They then pay me via PAYPAL and I mark the item as paid in eBay and the transaction is normal after that in eBay land.

Ebay is still happy because the transaction still occurred through them and they get their normal fees, but the buyer and I don't lose on the double currency conversion....

Of course it only makes sense to do that for something of decent size...
Message 6 of 6
latest reply