eBay overcharging on fees

I setup another account to list on ebay.co.uk. Made it to 100 feedback and starting to sell.

Fees are published here

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/storefees.html

GTC Store listing £0.01-£4.99 - £0.03 / 30 days
Store Listing Gallery £0.01-£4.99 - £0.03 / 30 days

But, that is not what I am charged.

All my listings are quantity listings with £0.01-£4.99 items or lots. I am charged £0.04-£0.12 plus £0.04-£0.12 for Gallery.

Looks like bait & switch tactic to me.

eBay peon, please don't me I should get this resolved with ebay.co.uk. My account in question is with ebay.ca and when I actually tried to register it at co.uk, it switched me back to ebay.ca.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

duujogl
Community Member
I think you have to have a UK address and probably a UK email address as well to actually register on ebay.co.uk. I understand they won't let us set up an account on .com anymore either, but that doesn't stop us from listing on any site we want to.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

yes, you can post on any other ebay with a .ca account
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

yes, you can post on any other ebay with a .ca account

Interesting. Really?
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
If you want to sell worldwide and have your items show up on all of the eBays around the world...just be sure your shipping is WORLDWIDE otherwise your items will only appear on the Canadian site. Susan
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
When you register on one eBay site you can list your item directly on any eBay site. UK, Germany, Australia, etc.

The system automatically bumps you to the country your address is in. If you want to register on eBay UK you have to have a UK address. You don't need to register on eBay UK though. Log into that site and list your item directly. Pay attention to the shipping optins as the will be geared to using Royal Mail.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Everyone, you guys misunderstood. I KNOW I can list worldwide, that's not the point. Already have about 20 listings on eBay.co.uk and the purpose of this post was tghat I see discrepancy between posted fees and what I am charged by eBay.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I have filed the support request on 11th. On 12th, 15th and 17th I got this email:

Thank you for writing to eBay Canada's Customer Support Team. Your
question is very important to us and will be treated with our full
attention. We understand the need to get your question answered quickly.
To that end, we will strive to respond to you within 24 hours after
receiving your email. However, there may be times when it will take up
to 72 hours for you to receive a response.

The purpose of this email is to acknowledge that we have received your
email. It is not necessary for you to resend your original email message
to us.

Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.

Regards,

eBay Canada Customer Support

Wonder what eBay is doing with this problem and how it generates these useless emails, but I speculate everytime someone opens my message it sends me this email and since they have no answer to that it's status keeps being open. It's way past 24 hours, even way past 72 hours. Maybe they think that everytime they send this email, it resets the 72hrs clock ...

It's a simple problem. Also happens to me occasionally and when I mistakenly overcharge the customer, I log to PayPal and refund the difference and pay more attention for a while so it does not happen very often.

eBay is ridiculously ignorant company. I wonder how do they stay in business and how do they stay so popular.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

eBay is ridiculously ignorant company.

Perhaps but I'm still not getting what your problem is.

Give me the exact details of a sample listing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Recped, the problem is overchargin on fees.

For example this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320227366685

Was billed:

12-Mar-08 03:00:14 GMT 50x 1N4007 Rectifier Diode 1000V/1A (better 1N4001)
Insertion fee of GBP 0.08 converted to C $0.16 at a rate of 2.01156 (as of 11-Mar-08). 320227366685 Insertion Fee Store Inventory C $0.16

Then I realized co.uk does not automatically add gallery and added gallery to my listings:

12-Mar-08 14:06:22 GMT 50x 1N4007 Rectifier Diode 1000V/1A (better 1N4001)
Fee of GBP 0.08 converted to C $0.16 at a rate of 1.99468 (as of 11-Mar-08). 320227366685 Gallery Fee C $0.16

Instead of £0.03 for listing and £0.03 for gallery they billed £0.08 + £0.08.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Btw, you might think this is tiny, but I'd like to maintain 200-300 listings on eBay.co.uk. Overcharging of £0.10 per listing will increase my monthly listing fees by £30 (~ C$60)
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi dipmicro,

eBay peon here ... not sure why this is happening for you but will try to get you an answer in a timely manner. My first thought is that it has something to do with billing currency, but let me get a more definitive ruling on that.

Cheers,

Miriam
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Miriam, thank you for looking into that, I appreciate it.

I am actually hoping for this to resolve before I list hundreeds of GTC listings. My 17 or so testing listings are performing quite well I think, there were 3 sales already during the first week. Seems Germans are also shopping on co.uk.

Perhaps this might be a good idea for other PowerSellers too to grow their business. I find European customers much more lenient to slower and expensive shipping and I also get the feeling CanadaPost service to UK is somewhat faster than to US.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Recped, the problem is overchargin on fees.

For example this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320227366685

12-Mar-08 03:00:14 GMT 50x 1N4007 Rectifier Diode 1000V/1A (better 1N4001)
Insertion fee of GBP 0.08 converted to C $0.16 at a rate of 2.01156 (as of 11-Mar-08). 320227366685 Insertion Fee Store Inventory C $0.16

Looks ok to me based on the fees listed here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/storefees.html

Note: The Shop Inventory Format Insertion Fee will be calculated based upon the opening value of your items. The opening value is the fixed item price multiplied by the quantity of your items available. This value is then compared to the insertion fees tiers and the appropriate insertion fee is charged.
For example:
If you list 5 items at £0.99, the total equals £4.95. This falls within the first tier of £0.00 - £4.99 and the insertion fee will be £0.03.
If you list 5 items at £1.50, the total equals £7.50. This falls within the second tier of £5.00 - £9.99 and the insertion fee will be £0.05.
And so on. The maximum insertion fee for a multiple-item listing is £0.11.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You are right, thanks.

I missed that the co.uk charges by the total value of the listing. So everything is in order then I just have to list what I might sell over month instead of just dumping my inventory to eBay and let buyers buy as much as they need.

recped, you are one of the most helpful persons contributing here. If you are not on eBay payroll, you should be.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply