global

i have posted already, but i was thinking why ebay thinks anyone needed a third party when the seller ships items themselves. I think global is trying to scam ebay to make money, canadians do not pay any extra charge for any package from anywhere and i've been buying from ebay and other stores all over the world! ebay needs to contact better busness before thinking global is doing anyone a favour.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

global

The concept is sound.  The application has a lot of bugs, but that's what you get when you use PB.

You may not know it, but Canada Customs and customs offices all over the world are targetting ebay packages because so many sellers are understating values.  In some cases, that's why our packages aren't getting to the buyer quickly (Germany comes to mind, for instance)

ebay's trying to head off a problem down the road.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

global

How can they tell it's an ebay package ?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

global

@chimera148 wrote:

How can they tell it's an ebay package ?

Here's one way:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Ebay-Packaging/471397

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

global

@surplusdealdude wrote:

The concept is sound.  The application has a lot of bugs, but that's what you get when you use PB.

You may not know it, but Canada Customs and customs offices all over the world are targetting ebay packages because so many sellers are understating values.  In some cases, that's why our packages aren't getting to the buyer quickly (Germany comes to mind, for instance)

ebay's trying to head off a problem down the road.

Customs are targetting ebay packages? How do you know that

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

global

Because it's been reported for years on other boards.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

global

@surplusdealdude wrote:

You may not know it, but Canada Customs and customs offices all over the world are targetting ebay packages ................

I read that once, twice, three times ............... and concluded that imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were...............

Sorry, but how are all these custom's officers able to pick out all these packages contianing eBay items?

Do they perhaps target all parcels using online shipping labels?

Even so, the package sent by Suzy to her MeeMa in Germany looks exactly like the package shipped from BigEbaySeller to Buyer#99999.

Unless of course the seller used eBay packaging but since those  are few and very very between it's meaningless.

Do they open every suspect packag and rummage for an eBay receipt?

Please explain how they identify ebay packages?

To me they look exactly the same.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

global

Maybe this will answer your question:  I live in California.  This is a label for a package destined for a state in another part of the US.  

Every USPS label I've printed from ebay/paypal -- with discounted shipping rates -- has the follwing image at the top:

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

global

jin, I just checked numerous packages shipped to me from the States via online shipping and none has that eBay logo on the top.

I also looked at my outgoing labels and they don't either.

Is that something they just started in the past few days?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

global

I do not use Ebay shipping labels.  No way to see if my item is Ebay item unless someone sees the packing slip inside the packaging.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

global

I wonder if that eBay logo only appears on packages shipped within the States via eBay shipping and thus means nothing as far as taxes etc. are concerned.

I also wonder if surplus was trying to say that there is pressure on eBay to  do whatever they can to ensure that buyers and sellers comply with all customs etc. laws, and that this pressure may have played a role in implementing the GSP.

That's easier to understand than the concept that countries are cherry picking eBay parcels for closer scrutiny.

I've often thought it would be interesting to have access to the numbers and calculate exactly what effect the GSP has had on sales if any..............

If I had that time to kill that is................

From my little corner of eBay it's had a very negative effect in numerous ways, but mine is but a tiny little insignificant corner of eBay.

EBay has the stats and continues to push the program in spite of the fact that the vast majority of International buyers who post on the boards HATE it.

There has to be a reason for that............ no?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

global

"in spite of the fact that the vast majority of International buyers who post on the boards HATE it."

That is correct.

You may see twenty buyers complaining that their $15/$40 purchases (total $500) end up costing them more money and taking longer to arrive.  They are right.  Everyone of them.

You will NOT see the one satisfied buyer who purchased a $600 item through GSP from a US seller who did not ship overseas until GSP became available. That buyer will not post as there is nothing to complain about!

As stated so many times, GSP does not work for a variety of reasons for Canadians making small (under $100) purchases from American sellers.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

global

@surplusdealdude wrote:

Because it's been reported for years on other boards.

I haven't seen those posts but I find it difficult to believe that they are targetting ebay packages.

I am sure that some countries are more diligent than others about making sure that the correct amount has been declared but I suspect that they would then target packages that are obviously from a business, not just those from ebay sellers.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

global

I wonder if that eBay logo only appears on packages shipped within the States via eBay shipping and thus means nothing as far as taxes etc. are concerned.

So you haven't noticed it on packages that you've received from ebay U.S. sellers? I can't say that I've ever noticed it but then I think that the last package I received had a label printed on stamps.com...not on ebay.

I do know that the ebay logo doesn't how on CP labels printed on paypal.

I also wonder if surplus was trying to say that there is pressure on eBay to  do whatever they can to ensure that buyers and sellers comply with all customs etc. laws, and that this pressure may have played a role in implementing the GSP.

That's easier to understand than the concept that countries are cherry picking eBay parcels for closer scrutiny.

I think that the gsp was implemented because ebay wanted more U.S. sellers to sell internationally. The more sales...the more fees for ebay.  I would be very surprised if it had anything to do with getting pressured about the wrong amounts being declared.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

global

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that the gsp was implemented because ebay wanted more U.S. sellers to sell internationally. The more sales...the more fees for ebay.  I would be very surprised if it had anything to do with getting pressured about the wrong amounts being declared.

That's my take on it as well.

For what it's worth, I think the delays in German customs for postal imports are more due to security concerns than a desire to tax everything up the wazoo, but I suppose there's the possibility that the German government is looking under the seat cushions of its couch for euros to help replentish its European bailout fund.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

global

Just got this and all the items from the US with onling shipping have no more info than this:

IMG_4914.JPG

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

global

don't think that the GSP was implemented because of pressure from other countries either.

I was just trying to make sense of the post by surplus.

I pay duty on a very small percentage of my packages ................ very very rare regardless of item cost.

However, I did have to pay almost $100 for this one.  Ouch!

Postal workers absolutely hate when they have to collect.

Some run to the door and leave a notice as quietly as they can hoping you won't hear them so you have to go pick it up.

ALL make it clear that it's a huge nuisance.

It took about 15 minutes to make the delivery from start to end.

The CPO delivery guy let me know that he wished they'd find another way to deal with deliveries where he had to collect duty and/or taxes.

I'm pretty sure these postal workers would love the GSP............... at first.............. Until they started to feel the crunch and perhaps a few lay offs due to fewer parcels to deliver if all sellers used it.

Then they'd be complaining no end.

I know that my US purchases would come to a complete stop and judging from the posts here that's almost unanimous................  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

global

@jinglekell wrote:

Every USPS label I've printed from ebay/paypal -- with discounted shipping rates -- has the follwing image at the top:

I received MANY packages from the US in the last 4 weeks, and none had this logo. So I'm inclined to say that it's just a national thing...

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

global

I agree that global shipping is a scam. Canada customs has never charged me for anything I have purchased through E-Bay ( never seen an import charge for used sport or electronics that are reasonably priced). When global was used , even if no import charges are registered they do not credit you. Anything I need now I go to Amazon,  with their shipping if no import fees are applied they return your monies in a refund.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

global

@chappy_keith wrote:

I agree that global shipping is a scam. Canada customs has never charged me for anything I have purchased through E-Bay ( never seen an import charge for used sport or electronics that are reasonably priced). When global was used , even if no import charges are registered they do not credit you. Anything I need now I go to Amazon,  with their shipping if no import fees are applied they return your monies in a refund.

Has Amazon Export had to issue a refund on your deposit yet?

Do your receipts for your Amazon Export purchases have GST/PST/HST registration numbers on them?

This may seem off-topic, but it's important we know this.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply