how to net required total for shipping?

35vblue
Community Member

If the S&H costs $10 (you know postage, envelope costs and any sales tax on both), what should I charge the buyer as "shipping" given after eBay 9% shipping fee and PayPal's 3.9% + 30 cents per transaction fee,  I'd only net $8.41.

I was thinking $12 as that'd net $10.15 but any other ideas to net the correct total yet not have the buyer throw a hissy fit.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: how to net required total for shipping?

Try to keep shipping costs low as buyer hate paying for shipping.

Add into your item price the cost of eBay/PayPal/shipping fees.

Keep shipping price to the actual shipping postage or less.

Buyers do not like paying $10 in shipping and getting $5 in postage on the package. Where did the other $5 go they wonder.

If you use PayPal shipping labels, then you get "stealth" postage, that is, no postage amount is displayed on the package.

If you can, include the cost of shipping in the item price as well. So called "Free Shipping" eBay promotes. It gives better search placement in eBay Best Match. 

I looked at your current listings and they are all Local Pickup only. You will get few bids and sales. Get your shipping figured out before relisting.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

And stop thinking of shipping costs as separate from the item price. Think total price, item price and shipping, as income. This total price income pays the bills and makes profit. How you split up the two is not important but try to keep shipping cost down from a marketing view. Buyers hate paying for shipping costs.

Same item

Price + shipping = total price to buyer

$5 + $15 = $20

$10 + $10 = $20

$15 +$5 = $20

$20 + $0 = $20 (Free Shipping)

What looks more attractive to you as a buyer?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buyers hate paying for shipping? Yeah, on this site but I go buy something online I don't expect "free shipping" unless I buy x amount. Yeah, I get incorporating shipping costs and eBlob/PayPlop fees into the list price. I'm just saying why do we have to basically LIE?

Think about it.

As far as calculating shipping within Bananada, I can't be bothered. You have regional vs. national yet eBlech's pulldown menu does not have that.

To me, Bananada is a dead loss with less than the population of California to appeal to across five time zones (or do we count Newfieland and Labradoodle as another 1/2). It's easier to list here on .ca and have shipping to the ten times greater population of the US know what the cost is. The Great White North is a total afterthought. Not "into" eBlob at all. Just some guy offloading clutter. only list when it's free. If it sells over the next 20 years, fine. If not, I toss into English Bay and let the enviroweenies whine at my funeral.

Anyway, my point is I do mess around with totals but, let's put it this way, amazon.ca have it down pat. Take your cut. Give a shipping credit back. Use that as a guide to send item insured or uninsured depending on total and your risk tolerance. They act as middleperson and take credit cards without taking an almost three- to four-percent cut like PayPuke.

That is the model, but what can ya do? eBlip has a monopoly reallon the online selling crap service here in North America unlike, say, Japan where Yahoo! Auctions won out and eBad's model flopped supremely because, let's face facts, there are HUGE flaws in the way the financial model operates here.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Am I the only one who discounts any comment made by a poster who thinks it is cute/funny/smart to make punny names for things.

Bananada? Seriously?

Many occasional and new sellers do not realize that the Shipping FVF is based on the domestic shipping rate. So if you are charging $12 to ship a paperback to Alberta, you will be paying eBay $1.08 in FVF. If the same book ships from your own province for $6, you will be paying eBay $0,54.

If if ships to the US or to Australia, no matter what the shipping cost is, your FVF will be based on the FVF for your own postal code. That is, $0.54.

Personally, I'd cut the Gordian Knot and add 54 cents to my asking price and use Calculated Shipping.

Or, as a bookseller*, I would save even more by using Free Shipping within Canada (since I don't sell that much in Canada anyway) add $6.00 to my asking price, lose on the very occasional out of Region sale, and pay no shipping FVF on any other sale. (Twelve non-National sales covers that one underpriced "free" shipping to Alberta.)

*Booksellers pay lower FVF on our sales. Possibly because our buyers actually read the descriptions and understand what they are purchasing.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You have regional vs. national yet eBlech's pulldown menu does not have that.

It's called Calculated Shipping. And it is very very simple to use.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply