how to successfully charge for shipping

silverfox196845
Community Member

hi, I am about to start posting various items on Ebay, but I get to the shipping part and not sure what to do...do I actually measure stuff and assume that price it gives is right?  Everything else seems very straight forward.  I would hate to lose sales because of my shipping costs.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

how to successfully charge for shipping

"I would hate to lose sales because of my shipping costs."

That is a very valid concern.

Much depends on the items you want to sell and their value. 

Do you have any knowledge or experience in the cost of packaging and mailing "stuff"?

Packing and shipping trading cards for example is relatively easy and low cost.  Packing and mailing a tea cup may prove to be relatively very expensive unless the tea cup is valuable.

To pack and mail a typical "run of the mill" hardcover novel may not be so easy.

Where to start:

1) check listings on eBay.ca for items similar to what you want to sell.  Check the shipping charge.  If you were a buyer, would you buy the item considering the shipping charge?

2) package one or two item as if they were ready to mail.  Bring them to the postal station and ask the clerk what the rates would be to ship to Toronto, Vancouver and Los Angeles to get you a quick overview.

3) Once you get a general idea, learn to use Canada Post website to determine the rates by yourself. You will need a reliable scale and measuring stick.

I do not mean to rain on your parade but reality is that mail order business from Canada is a challenge because of the relatively high shipping costs we face.  Most items are not meant to be sold by mail.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply