import fees

isn't the minimum amount for import fees supposed to be on brand new items over $50.

Don't understand seeing pre-owned items under $50. with import fees attached?  

isn't there a rule or law involved or is this just another money grab.  

looking now at a pre-owned item that is 12.99 with 12.50 shipping and 15.96 import fee ???  

I think l'm done buying on ebay.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

May I suggest: If you paid Import Fees, then write to the...

The max import value of goods imported into Canada is $20, before being taxed.

The $12.99 item you're looking at shouldn't have an import fee.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Don't give up on ebay,
just do not buy from those sellers.
I agree something is wrong there,
either the seller, or that Global shipping they are using.
We Canadians have always looked after our own import charges.
What happen to us (I don't feel any different.)
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The maximum for purchases is $20 CDN. For gifts it is $60. If you bought it, it is not a gift.

There is still duty and tax applicable on used items. Have you never bought a used car?

The $12.50 is basically postage and packaging. These have no relationship to the value of the item, even domestically. (I just shipped three paperbacks to Alberta at a cost to the buyer of $15-- and I was subsidizing the postage.)

There should be no duty or tax on a $12.50 item.

The shipper may have a service fee-- ask the seller about this.

You control these costs. If you don't like it, don't buy.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

In Canada we have always looked after our import fees on receipt of the parcel and rarely have I paid import fees on items under $50. I won't be buying from sellers using global shipping. I buy on ebay to save a little, but global shipping makes it too expensive, so back to the Canadian stores I'll go, strictly Canadian shopping from now on.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

May I suggest: If you paid Import Fees, then write to the Canadian Gov't at year end telling it that Pitney Bowes collected those funds on behalf of the Canadian Govt and you expect the Canadian Govt to take the necessary action to get its funds from Pitney Bowes.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 7 of 7
latest reply