is "Good till cancelled" the way to go ?

sazzu14
Community Member

New to selling on eBay.

Listed fashion jewelry items as Buy it Now and "Good till cancelled" and wondering if this is the right way to go?

Also, any suggestions as how to get more visibility on eBay search engines would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As 'pj'  says, there is a lot of opinion (and speculation) on how to best list items in order to get better results in search, visibility, and sales.  I don't think anybody has the real answers but eBay itself, and they aren't going to tell us.  

What I think we do know is that the large majority of listings on eBay are now fixed price (I believe the latest figure was over 80%), and that many other variables besides the mere listing type determine the whole "picture" of what gives an item good placement.  

So I think you have to use what works best based on the types of items you're selling, your research into how well (and at what prices) similar items have been selling on eBay, and what works best for your personal mode of selling.  

As Pierre mentioned, GTC listings work very well where you have multiple identical items to sell (I use GTC almost exclusively for my line of sewing patterns, which I regularly reprint in multiples).  However, they can also be useful if you're busy doing other things besides eBay, or have a lot of listings and would rather not be spending time monitoring every one of them on a regular basis.  I also find that GTC listings are good for items that may need to wait months for the right buyer.  It can sometimes help that the watcher count remains visible on those. 

I've done a lot of experimenting over the past few months on using "Sell Similar" (rather than simply relisting) and I can't honestly say that using Sell Similar has made a significant difference in sales for me, although I know there are sellers who claim it can.   

On the other hand, some of my GTC items that haven't had a sale in months still show up near the top of the first page in keyword searches, so I'm not sure even that factor (number of recent sales) is the most significant where placement is concerned.  Ironically, in one such search, one of my items that hadn't had a sale in several months got displayed near the top of page one, whereas a couple of other GTC listings of mine that had had recent sales were displayed much further down the page.  As I said, I think factors other than listing type may be just as important, if not more important.

Bear in mind that with fashion jewellery you're in a very crowded category, so it may be harder to stand out. Keeping your seller status above standard and following eBay's other "best practices" will help a great deal.  I'd suggest trying 30-day fixed price listings to start with (unless you have multiple identical items, in which case GTC works best to keep track of your inventory).  

If you have an extremely busy life outside eBay and a lot of items to list, you could perhaps divide them more or less evenly between GTC and 30-day.  That way, you won't have to carefully monitor all your listings on a regular basis.  You can always change the proportions later if you find one type of listing does better for you than the other. 

You can also try out the occasional auction if you have an item that may be in high demand -- but start your auction at the lowest price you'd be willing to take (i.e. don't start your auction at $0.99), because it seems one bid is often all sellers get these days on auctions, Pierre's stamp collector bidding wars notwithstanding.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Good Till Cancelled (GTC) is a very useful tool if your listings have multiple quantities of identical items.  With GTC eBay relists the listing automatically every 30 days and keeps track of your sales and only the remaining quantity is listed.  For example, if you start the listing with a quantity of 20 and you sell 4 during the first 30 days, eBay will automatically relist 16.

If listing one of each kind, then it makes more sense to list with a 30 day duration, allowing you to review and make changes if the item is unsold after 30 days.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

You're going to get different views on this  because no one knows exactly how the ebay search system works and because we all have different experiences. 

I think that buy it now is best unless you have a collectible highly sought after item that people would be excited to bid on. 

In my opinion, gtc listings are best when you have more than one of that item and that item is fairly popular. One of the criteria that the search engine uses is based on sales, the more of that item you sell, the more that item shows up in search. When you use gtc the sold history stays with that listing so the search engine knows if is a popular item or if  it has been sitting for a few months without any sales. In the latter case, an item without any sales may not show up in search as often so I use gtc for my more popular items and 30 day fixed price listings for my other listings. When the slower items end I normally use sell similar for those without any recent sales and relist for those who had a sale in the previous 30 days. Some people say that if you use sell similar and change up the listing a bit every few months, search sees it as a new listing. But I have also heard that isn't true so you really have to decide what works best for you.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I think that it would be a good idea for you to get some feedback as a buyer as some people are hesitant to buy from a brand new ebayer. Also, it will show you how ebay works from a buyers perspective.

I suggest that you look over your shipping options too. 

Item 281719158157  free worldwide shipping  with UPS used in Canada and Tracked Packet used elsewhere. I have no idea what UPS charges within Canada but I would guess that it would be at least $15 and TP to the U.S. would cost about the same. For the other countries, tracked packet will cost you $40+. You will end up losing money on those transactions. I really don't think people expect free shipping internationally so you might want to consider changing that. Also, you might want to use less expensive shipping methods but that's another topic that I won't get into right now.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

As 'pj'  says, there is a lot of opinion (and speculation) on how to best list items in order to get better results in search, visibility, and sales.  I don't think anybody has the real answers but eBay itself, and they aren't going to tell us.  

What I think we do know is that the large majority of listings on eBay are now fixed price (I believe the latest figure was over 80%), and that many other variables besides the mere listing type determine the whole "picture" of what gives an item good placement.  

So I think you have to use what works best based on the types of items you're selling, your research into how well (and at what prices) similar items have been selling on eBay, and what works best for your personal mode of selling.  

As Pierre mentioned, GTC listings work very well where you have multiple identical items to sell (I use GTC almost exclusively for my line of sewing patterns, which I regularly reprint in multiples).  However, they can also be useful if you're busy doing other things besides eBay, or have a lot of listings and would rather not be spending time monitoring every one of them on a regular basis.  I also find that GTC listings are good for items that may need to wait months for the right buyer.  It can sometimes help that the watcher count remains visible on those. 

I've done a lot of experimenting over the past few months on using "Sell Similar" (rather than simply relisting) and I can't honestly say that using Sell Similar has made a significant difference in sales for me, although I know there are sellers who claim it can.   

On the other hand, some of my GTC items that haven't had a sale in months still show up near the top of the first page in keyword searches, so I'm not sure even that factor (number of recent sales) is the most significant where placement is concerned.  Ironically, in one such search, one of my items that hadn't had a sale in several months got displayed near the top of page one, whereas a couple of other GTC listings of mine that had had recent sales were displayed much further down the page.  As I said, I think factors other than listing type may be just as important, if not more important.

Bear in mind that with fashion jewellery you're in a very crowded category, so it may be harder to stand out. Keeping your seller status above standard and following eBay's other "best practices" will help a great deal.  I'd suggest trying 30-day fixed price listings to start with (unless you have multiple identical items, in which case GTC works best to keep track of your inventory).  

If you have an extremely busy life outside eBay and a lot of items to list, you could perhaps divide them more or less evenly between GTC and 30-day.  That way, you won't have to carefully monitor all your listings on a regular basis.  You can always change the proportions later if you find one type of listing does better for you than the other. 

You can also try out the occasional auction if you have an item that may be in high demand -- but start your auction at the lowest price you'd be willing to take (i.e. don't start your auction at $0.99), because it seems one bid is often all sellers get these days on auctions, Pierre's stamp collector bidding wars notwithstanding.  

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Yes, I agree completely with 'pj' -- you really need to get some buying experience under your belt before tackling selling.  Selling on eBay requires a good deal of preparation and research to be successful. 

Not only will doing some buying first give you important insight into how other sellers conduct business on eBay, but it will build up your feedback so you don't become the target of scammers who may be looking for newbie sellers to take advantage of.  

As 'pj' says, honest buyers on the other hand are reluctant to purchase from someone without any history at all on eBay (i.e. a "0" feedback score).  I know everybody has to start somewhere, but it's easier to learn eBay rules and policies indirectly as a buyer than to have to learn the hard way by getting defects as a seller. 

BTW, you don't have to buy anything expensive or useless -- there are lots of items under $5.00 on eBay with free shipping that you might be able to make use of besides being a mere learning experience.  However, I'd strongly recommend buying only from Canadian and U.S. sellers for the time being, since they are the sellers you'll learn the most important things from for your own purposes. 

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

More theory.

New listings sell better. With GTC, merchandise gets old and people say "I already saw that one".

I use sequential stock numbers: 1000 range, 200 range, etc. Well, the bulk of my sales are coming from my currently listed 7000 range.

I have a few parts that sell regardless of stock number range, simply because they are what they are. They will sell as long as I keep them in stock. Others, need "encouragement". I am re-listing Saturn dome lights. They are basically the same as the ones I sold out of, but, new pictures and a new listing, they go to the top of search and sales are better.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

If you are new to selling but have experience on another account as a buyer, you might want to consider using the existing account to sell. Your feedback score in the double or triple digits -- even without DSRs -- will inspire more confidence. My first sale began at feedback score of 177 as a buyer and it was an uphill battle even at that number, I can tell you. (Use the new account to buy if you'd like to keep them separated.) Otherwise, you will open yourself up to the less-than-honest types who troll ebay for new sellers to exploit. In that respect, I would encourage you to use trackable services wherever possible. Best of luck to you. Not everything will go as planned but if you are polite and courteous when things head off the rails, most people will take that into consideration before being too hard on you. 

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I do have multiples of each item but only use qty of 1 as I believe increasing the qty would use up the 20 items I am allowed to list for now. I will therefore move to 30-day listings till I become an established seller allowed to list more items. Thanks again
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for your reply, I will maintain BIN and move to 30-day listings based on your advice. I will do more reading regarding Sell Similar as I thought it meant I could use a listing as a draft to create a second listing and you seem to be saying there is a little more to it then that. Thanks
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Shipping is what I had the most trouble with in creating my listings. Different results for what I thought was the same input. Thanks for the heads up I will revisit shipping for the listing you mention and the others as well. I used free shipping as I was told it increased visibility with search engines. Thanks for your feedback
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I feel this is very good advice. I will definitely do some reading on stars and feedback and start buying as you suggest. Thanks for your reply
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

"62% of all transactions are touched by a mobile device"

Stats from an eBay Android manager.

Look at your listings on a mobile device, a phone. Your pictures are very dark on my PC. They will be even darker and more difficult to see on a phone.

Put in at LEAST 7-8 pictures of each widget, 1-3 discourages the customer.

White and bright.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I noticed that on some of your listings you see the number of people watching the listing. How do you manage to do that ? thanks
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for your feedback, you are the second one to mention the types who troll ebay to exploit new sellers. Can you please explain what they actually do, are they buyers who complain after the purchase or what ? and what's it in for them ? Thanks in advance
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

I have no idea as I do not care.

I list to sell, not to have watchers. Besides, watchers can be anyone, most of whom have no intention of buying. So, a meaningless statistic.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@sazzu14 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I do have multiples of each item but only use qty of 1 as I believe increasing the qty would use up the 20 items I am allowed to list for now. I will therefore move to 30-day listings till I become an established seller allowed to list more items. Thanks again

It wouldn't. If the items you have are identical, when you make your fixed price listing you simply identify that you have for example, 5 items, in the "quantity" section. It would only count as ONE listing, not five. 

I suggest selling something that you can afford to "lose" first to help learn about the selling process. 

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

The mobile phone number (62% but reduced to 50% and 33 % for Canada) was repeated today by Andrea Stairs, eBay Canada manager in an op-ed piece on e-selling in Canada in the Globe and Mail Report on Business.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/more-and-more-shoppers-are-online-s...

I use Fixed Price /Good Till Cancelled because I am lazy. My items are going to be slow sellers so I expect them to sit for a while. I do add a Note of the date they were listed so I can monitor how long they have hung around.

And of course, eBay now adds their own Note if something has been sitting unsold for 16 months.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

One listing with multiple quantities will only count as one of your 20 free listings/month.

But as a new seller you probably have selling limits and I believe that every item in a multiple quantity listing does go towards your selling limit. It should be easy to tell as there will be a running total of the amount of items you can list on your my ebay page.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

What exactly does "touched by a mobile device" mean?

An item was bought with a mobile device, was on a search page on a mobile device, was clicked on and looked at it on a mobile device......?

Message 20 of 28
latest reply