is "Good till cancelled" the way to go ?

sazzu14
Community Member

New to selling on eBay.

Listed fashion jewelry items as Buy it Now and "Good till cancelled" and wondering if this is the right way to go?

Also, any suggestions as how to get more visibility on eBay search engines would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

eBay will sometimes show the number of watchers on your listings, you don't have control of that.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@sazzu14 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback, you are the second one to mention the types who troll ebay to exploit new sellers. Can you please explain what they actually do, are they buyers who complain after the purchase or what ? and what's it in for them ? Thanks in advance

Before, during or after. Sometimes it's a refund, sometimes to extort a discount, sometimes to bully their way to a reduced shipping cost.....

And then there are the unfortunate souls who just seem to get their jollies being rude and demeaning to people. New sellers are easy targets. 

As you start on ebay, each transaction is very, very important feedback-wise. An experienced seller with 2345 feedbacks can weather a few negatives each year easier than one with merely 4. 

So.... Describe your items with words and pictures like each one is worth a thousand dollars. Pack your orders very quickly and VERY WELL and use tracking wherever possible. I know the part about tracking is unpopular advice on the boards but it really stings to have to bid farewell to your item, its sale price and have an Item Not Received strike on your account.

Plus, realistically, new sellers make shipping mistakes. It helps if you can see where your parcel might be held, whether it was a Customs form completed incorrectly or whatever. And buyers will be less leery. Sure, the increased shipping cost will turn off the cheapskates but, hey, they're never happy anyway. Good riddance, I say!

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I have no idea as I do not care.

I list to sell, not to have watchers. Besides, watchers can be anyone, most of whom have no intention of buying. So, a meaningless statistic.

I think you mean: Meaningless except in ranking search results. Best Match et cetera. The more watchers on a listing, the higher it ranks in a search. Same with views. At least for the first 30 days. 

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

"The more watchers on a listing, the higher it ranks in a search."

????

Has that ever been confirmed by eBay? 

Or is it just another assumption on the workings of Best Match.  There is a lot of speculation out there on the subject, although little is actually known.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"The more watchers on a listing, the higher it ranks in a search."

????

Has that ever been confirmed by eBay? 

Or is it just another assumption on the workings of Best Match.  There is a lot of speculation out there on the subject, although little is actually known.

Oh ho ho, Pierre. You know ebay would never confirm that. It's Top Secret, or so they tell us. I am speaking from my own personal experience within search rank experimentation.

But it only stands to reason. As part of the algorithm, number of watchers and number of views are going to play a factor. As does number of sales from that listing if it's a multi-variation, duration of listing, age of listing, seller feedback, buying patterns after viewing etc. Also, exact wording of the item searched. Geographic location from which the search was initiated etc. Buyer profile. 

Again, I am speaking from my own tests run. Also, within the categories that I sell (and buy) within. Other categories might have a whole slew of their own rules. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

(Also moon phase, barometric pressure, and astrological sign. Is the moon in Venus?!?)

Okay, I'm kidding about the last part. 

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Hi Mjwl! When I do my periodic experiments to see how high my stuff is ranking, I am surprised by some of the "very old" as in more than 3 years old stuff that shows up "early" - I have to believe the reason is that it does happen to have a lot of views.....(for single items). This is one of the reasons I (so far) have not ended and relisted old GTC items.... I will have to run another experiment someday ending and relisting some and seeing what happens... when I have spare time... ;-(
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
Hi Mjwl! When I do my periodic experiments to see how high my stuff is ranking, I am surprised by some of the "very old" as in more than 3 years old stuff that shows up "early" - I have to believe the reason is that it does happen to have a lot of views.....(for single items). This is one of the reasons I (so far) have not ended and relisted old GTC items.... I will have to run another experiment someday ending and relisting some and seeing what happens... when I have spare time... ;-(

Do you know what I find to be the most fascinating part of a Best Match search? It's that results vary depending on who is doing the search. Also, from where but mostly who they are, I think, and how much experience they have buying on ebay. And who they like to buy from. 

I sympathize with the 'spare time' conundrum. I am going nuts here as a result of Product Identifiers becoming mandatory for me two weeks sooner than was expected. I can't relist or revise without my UPCs in place and the ones I had ready on the listings as a Custom Item Specific have not carried over on relist. I'm doing it all over again, more than 800 listings. One. At. A. Time. I can't stop complaining about it. It won't work as a Bulk, either. Error. Error. 

Message 28 of 28
latest reply