item returned to sender due to shipping address problem

unison334
Community Member

I shipped an item to the U.S. with the eBay Paypal shipping label. PayPal says the shipping address is a "Confirmed Residential address".

Canada Post shipped it to the US, but now the Canada Post website says: "Recipient not located at address provided. Item being returned to sender. "

What will happen now and what should I do? Thanks

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Look at the address with google maps street view to see if it exists. Confirm with the buyer their correct complete address first of all. If it is the buyers mistake then they should pay again. That extra 4 zip digits should have no effect on it.

We have a disclaimer in our auctions for this scenario.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Contact the buyer and ask if he changed his mailing address.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at the eBay site, it seems the buyer has left out the four extra digits in the zip code in the Paypal shipping address.

Will I have to pay again for shipping (which is quite expensive) or will PayPal let me reprint the label because the address is incomplete?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Look at the address with google maps street view to see if it exists. Confirm with the buyer their correct complete address first of all. If it is the buyers mistake then they should pay again. That extra 4 zip digits should have no effect on it.

We have a disclaimer in our auctions for this scenario.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Confirmed address mans absolutely nothing. It is a left-over note from years ago.

The four digit locator code helps, but, won't make a real difference.

Either the customer moved, or, the PO messed up.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

the 4 digit zip extension is essentially useless now http://mentalfloss.com/article/53384/what%E2%80%99s-deal-those-last-4-digits-zip-code and certainly wouldnt affect delivery

It happens more then it should that people on ebay go through with the purchase with an old address in their paypal account.  Have also had that happen with the buyer swearing it was correct, and a remail was delivered fine 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

just now got notice CP is returning a rare for me larger parcel.  Idiot buyer didn't include his unit number with his bulding address

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I have had two envelopes returned to me since this past friday as, "Undeliverable as addressed, unable to forward". Both were shipped to the USA, both were PO Boxes, and both were shipped on the same day. They took over a month to come back to me. One of the envelopes was to a repeat customer, which I have shipped to many times before without any problems. I did just notice that with both buyers, their Paypal zip codes were different from their Ebay zip codes. The Paypal zip codes did not include the extra four digits at the end (Zip+4), they were included on their Ebay addresses though. I emailed the first buyer and explained to them the item was returned to me as undeliverable, and asked if they wanted me to re-send it with the full zip code, they said yes, my fingers are crossed that it gets there. I emailed the second buyer (repeat customer), and told them the same thing as the first buyer, she did not want it re-shipped so I refunded her, and she said there's no extra four digits in her zip code (even though it is listed on her Ebay address). I hope no more packages come back. I am confused by this. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the four digit code. If it does, it means I will be having more packages coming back to me. I have noticed some other buyers that have the four digit code on their Ebay, but not their Paypal. It could also be that the postal worker was new or something that day, because they were shipped in the same day. Wish I knew for sure.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

It shouldn't have anything to do with those 4 numbers. I use Paypal labels and those numbers have never been on the labels and I haven't had any problems.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

On our US accounts the 4 digit appeared by itself on the ebay account but is absent on the paypal account. We never entered the 4 digit on any account since it is ridiculous in a town that small since it always has it's own main zip anyways and the 4 digit is also the same for the whole town. Makes no sense.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Us zip codes were for the most part useless anyways at only 99999  possible codes versus our 17576000 codes with our postal codes. Enough for each side of every block to have its own code.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I google mapped the address and it is a real place. But now Canada Post says "Item redirected to recipient's new address ".

I'm a little concerned now as the buyer has a good amount of feedback but hasn't left much feedback for others - a third of which are negative feedback about unreceived items.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

It seems the four digit code isn't important. Make sure the address is clearly written (sometimes it is better to write the state name instead of just the state abbreviations) or if the postal office made a mistake, contact them soon.

The four digit code doesn't seem to be the problem for me. My package is now being "redirected to recipient's new address". Apparently the buyer gave me an outdated address.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

In terms of he postal service, there is no problem.

The buyer moved but purchased a Change of Address service. The package will go to this new address with little delay.

Let eBay know that the PP address (and the buyer's eBay address?) are not accurate.

Let PP know that the PP address (and the buyer's eBay address?) are not accurate. 

This may protect you if there is a delivery problem claimed. Do this before the buyer starts fussing.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the info.

How do I contact eBay and PayPal about the address problem? Is there a form on eBay or PayPal or do I simply call them?

Thanks for the help!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

"How do I contact eBay and PayPal about the address problem?"

I suggest you do nothing at this time until the parcel is properly delivered to the buyer. 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@unison334 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

How do I contact eBay and PayPal about the address problem? Is there a form on eBay or PayPal or do I simply call them?

Thanks for the help!

What problem? The parcel is on it's way to the customer.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. The problem - or at least concern, for me is the estimated delivery date is fast approaching and  the buyer may make a claim for non-delivery.

The buyer hasn't left much feedback for others, a third of which is negative feedback about items not received and overdue for a couple of days.

Well, I hope the buyer is honest or that the item will get delivered soon!

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply