item returned to sender due to shipping address problem

A pkg has just been returned to me. I mailed to a US Address and it shows as correct on the USPS site and on Google Maps, so I am assuming a post office error. It is an apt. building but does have an apt. no. Included. I'm willing to re-mail the pkg but how do I now avoid a defect for late shipping. Lettermail, so no tracking, and got there and back to me in 4 weeks. Havent heard anything from the buyer as of yet. Should I just re-ship or do I cancel which doesn't seem fair to buyer as not their fault, but I dont want a defect either.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'd contact the buyer and explain the problem. Ask him if he sees any error in the address.

Since you were sending without tracking (I do too, so no criticism there.) you are vulnerable to a sketchey buyer claiming non-delivery even if it had been received.

Fortunately most people are honest.

Once you confirm the address, thank the buyer and resend.

Cross all your fingers and toes.

It was probably just a human error somewhere, and it's best to let your buyer know what is happening and how you plan to correct it, with his help.

It never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'd contact the buyer and explain the problem. Ask him if he sees any error in the address.

Since you were sending without tracking (I do too, so no criticism there.) you are vulnerable to a sketchey buyer claiming non-delivery even if it had been received.

Fortunately most people are honest.

Once you confirm the address, thank the buyer and resend.

Cross all your fingers and toes.

It was probably just a human error somewhere, and it's best to let your buyer know what is happening and how you plan to correct it, with his help.

It never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Well I sent a message via eBay to the buyer but have not had an answer. Sent another message to her email address and it has been returned as undeliverable. I checked the address on Google Maps, it is a bldg. run by a hospital for people with mental health problems and the underprivileged. I thought to email and ask if she still lives there but there is no email, just a phone no. and it's out of the country so not calling. Do you think I can just refund and use the incorrect address reason although I think the street address is correct, she just doesn't live there anymore. It was returned to me with the note Return To Sender, Unable To Deliver.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If it's being sent to a hospital I definitely wouldn't resend until I hear back from the buyer. Because... worst case scenario could've happened. If it's a patient, calling would not help as they're not supposed to disclose patient information (not even if the patient is there) especially if it's a mental health facility.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

No, not a hospital, its apartments that are run or funded by a Catholic hospital. The people living there pay a percentage of whatever money they get each month. It's very possible she has left there or even something worse I suppose. But you are right, even if I called they probably wouldn't give out any info. I guess I will just wait awhile and hope to hear from her.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply