multiple store / identidy question

I would like to ask the community some advice, or invite some discussion.  I have a premium store, and sell an eclectic mix of items.  I sell quite a bit in the postcard and Eastern Star categories, and then I have the "other" mix of items.

My question, "is there any advantage, or disadvantage to me as the seller, or maybe more importantly to the buyer in starting a different identidy to sell just postcards, for example, or Eastern star stuff".

Thank you in advance for your time.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

My question to you would be, why would you want to spend all the money in extra store fees if this one is working well for you. Also, I do believe that you would be subject to restrictions and limits with your new identity,  not to mention the 21 day hold on your money that a new identity would bring. You might lose sales also because your new identity would have no feedback rating. Seems like a lot of  work and expense for little gain.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Look on your store as a "corner store" with a little bit of many things.

The future of eBay is a ... store...

People come to buy item A,  and find items B, C and D... which they might buy.

Add to your current store... work it ...

The most important thing is categories  which you have... work them.

Adding a new store  creates a split "personality".

Your current personality works....

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The new fee structure   and the fees associated with each store level  is something to consider..

One store would be cost effective compared to two stores....

One premium store perhaps.....  with 500 free listings......

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/springfeesimplification.html?sspagename...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I guess the reason I contemplate this move is that I worry that one section in the store will over-shadow another.  I am thinking of when a customer is  scrolling through pictures in the "see other item" as opposed to "store view".  I love your analogy though of a split personality.

The suggestion regarding utilizing the categories is important I am sure. If I stay the way I am in one identify,would you have any suggestions how I could tighten up, or utilize the categories more effectively?

Thank you

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

"One premium store perhaps.....  with 500 free listings......"

Actually, starting May 1st, according to eBay.ca country manager, you can list up to 1,000 free listings (auction or fixed price) with a premium store: 500 on eBay.ca AND 500 on eBay.com

If a seller wants to differenciate between two types of business, it would make sense to maintain one store only with one user ID with the benefits of TRS status (better placement and 20% FVF discount) with one type of items listed on eBay.com (postcards for example with easy fixed price shipping) and the rest on eBay.ca

I frankly see no advantage from a seller's perspective to have two stores, pay two sets of fees and waste several months building a new business without the benefits of TRS status and low feedback rating.

As far as buyers are concerned, let's face it, they could not care less.  They see an item in search, click on the link and get more information.  If they want to see what else the seller sells, then they can go to the store link.

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

would you have any suggestions how I could tighten up, or utilize the categories more effectively?

I would probably try to have less categories and use subcategories when necessary. For example you could have a Collectables category for your tins, advertising bags, salt and pepper, etc. Much of your other category would fit into collectibles.

Instead of two categories, you could have one Costume & Accessories category.

I like the way that you have the postcards except I wouldn't have the sub sub categories under transportation. Once the buyer sees Transportation, it's easy enough to click on it to see the 29 items.

Those are just suggestions as you know better what your customers are looking for. I do think that it is important to try and find a balance between having the categories so that your buyers don't have to wade through pages of items and keeping the category section clean and easy to read so that each category does stand out.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Its potentially cheaper to use two identities over 1 depending on the number of listings you want.  A basic store plus a non store ID, or 2 basic stores are cheaper then a premium one if the full number of listings aren't going to be used.

We don't know how promotions will happen in the future, but having more then one ID  the way its been going has increased the chance of being included with at least one, especially if they were split store/non store.

Also advantageous with the dsr-punishment scheme that low dsrs that could remove TRS if they were one ID could be split over 2 and have no effect at all.  Or have the ability to drop an ID and keep going full out on the other if one has really bad luck. being hit

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Cumos - I will think those suggestions through, they make so much sense. 

Pierre I have a premium store, meaning I can list on .com 500 times, do I just sign in as usual, as I would on .ca, and list?  I thought there would have been a conflict since I was registered to .ca.  also -

with one type of items listed on eBay.com (postcards for example with easy fixed price shipping) and the rest on eBay.ca

I did not know that was possible -  what would that look like - (for example if I had 1,000 items listed, 500 on the .com site, and 500 on .ca).  to the buyer, do they see all 1000 items when they go to the store view, or when they go to the "see other items view"

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"I thought there would have been a conflict since I was registered to .ca. "

No.  Once you are registered as a seller on eBay you can list on any site you want: eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk, eBay.au, etc...

All you need to do is sign it on the site where you want to list and all items will end up in your store.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

"do they see all 1000 items when they go to the store view"

YES

Message 11 of 11
latest reply