need advice about selling transaction

a person bought 10 of the same item i have for sale. i checker is feedback he have multiple transaction but i cant see the item that he bought even those made less that a month ago. i try to investigate a little more and the address provided is not a home its located in a small shopping center (thanks google street view) i cant find that bussiness web site or anything when i google the address. only those next to it. i try to contact him by email but nearly 12 hours later no answer.

i am a very suspicious and paranoid kind of person i always expect the worse. so before i send the order i want some advice at least.   

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: need advice about selling transaction

i checked paypal transaction with "see detail on classic site and he is " Non-U.S. - Verified"  but the address is he give is  in portland OR is in fact a freight compagny.

http://local.portlandmetro.pamplinmedia.com/portland-or/transportation/freight-transportation/kmss-c...

and 24H later he still not have reply to my email.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

They are most likely a freight forwarder. There are dozens of them in the states. I have shipped to various ones in the U.S. at least a hundred times over the years with no issues at all. Just be sure you use a a trackable (on-line) shipping method, you are only responsible to get the item to them in Oregon. I suggest you also write the ebay transaction number on the outside of the box. Most forwarders ask that you do so, others have a "code" within the shipping address. Don't wait for your buyer to respond. Ship and move on.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

too paranoid to do that i refund him

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

It is your business and you should do what you believe is best for your business. What reason did you use for the cancellation? Was it "problem with address" or was it "out of stock?"

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

i used "problem with address"

i send him a email saying i dont ship to freight compagnie and that he got a full refund

i cant afford to risk that much money

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

I buy with an Asian freight forwarder quite often (outside ebay) and personally I get quite annoyed when the seller cancels my order because of it. I could have spent an hour picking everything I liked, and then getting an order cancelation notice two days later is a big slap on the face. Like many posters above said, use a trackable service and your responsibility ends when the item reaches the freight forwarder...
Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I have an American shipping address that I use all the time and one online retailer refused to ship to it which was a colossal waste of my time and resources. I have not been back to shop there again.

People use these types of services legitimately all the time. Tracking, signature: those protect you. Once it is delivered, your job is done. But a cancelled order is a cancelled order. Done deal.
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I don't see a freight forwarder as an extra risk.  Once the post office shows that the item is delivered to that address, the freight forwarder is responsible for that package.  

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't see a freight forwarder as an extra risk.  Once the post office shows that the item is delivered to that address, the freight forwarder is responsible for that package.  

If you are risk adverse, eBay is not the place to be.

I sell, ship, forget about it.

I sold a $275 US item ten days ago. Money back, no questions asked guarantee.  As long as it takes, is as long as my personal guarantee lasts.

I sell as a business and treat every sale as a business transaction.

Photobucket
Message 29 of 35
latest reply

mr.elmwood wrote:

I have a ridiculously high risk tolerance.

I've read comments here referring to "risk tolerance" a number of times and I think that before one can say they have a high level of risk tolerance that one first has to calculate the actual level of risk.

That is: If a seller stands to lose a lot if things go wrong with any given transaction (calculated risk), and ships anyway, then that seller might have a high level of risk tolerance.

Here are 4 examples to show how risk calculation has to be a part of any equation assessing risk tolerance.

1) If a seller buys items at $25 each, and sells them for $50 and has an endless supply available, then the seller could lose $25 plus shipping cost if things go wrong. That situation would be assessed very differently from the following scenarios.

2) If a seller has a one of a kind antique for sale which cost her $100 but 10 buyers are willing to pay $1,000 for it, then I’d calculate the potential loss at $1,000 plus shipping.

3)  A seller who ships an iPhone at any cost/profit to Nigeria is just naive, inexperienced, and/or foolish and even a seller with a sky high level of risk tolerance might decide that the calculated risk is just too high.

4) Or your situation Elmwood, you've mentioned many times that you acquire your items at almost no cost and that you have more than you can be bothered to list and have an endless supply at your fingertips for the taking. 

That’s not to say that you don’t have a crazy-hi level of risk tolerance (you might), but the way you’ve described your transactions is as having very low levels of risk. (i.e.: You have very little to lose even if everything goes wrong.)

Just saying that every situation has to be assessed individually and people with a very high level of risk tolerance may use common sense and decide that some transactions just aren't worth the calculated risk.

I just don't think it's as simple as high vs. low risk tolerance.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I have a ridiculously high risk tolerance.

I've read comments here referring to "risk tolerance" a number of times and I think that before one can say they have a high level of risk tolerance that one first has to calculate the actual level of risk.

That is: If a seller stands to lose a lot if things go wrong with any given transaction (calculated risk), and ships anyway, then that seller might have a high level of risk tolerance.

Here are 4 examples to show how risk calculation has to be a part of any equation assessing risk tolerance.

1) If a seller buys items at $25 each, and sells them for $50 and has an endless supply available, then the seller could lose $25 plus shipping cost if things go wrong. That situation would be assessed very differently from the following scenarios.

2) If a seller has a one of a kind antique for sale which cost her $100 but 10 buyers are willing to pay $1,000 for it, then I’d calculate the potential loss at $1,000 plus shipping.

3)  A seller who ships an iPhone at any cost/profit to Nigeria is just naive, inexperienced, and/or foolish and even a seller with a sky high level of risk tolerance might decide that the calculated risk is just too high.

4) Or your situation Elmwood, you've mentioned many times that you acquire your items at almost no cost and that you have more than you can be bothered to list and have an endless supply at your fingertips for the taking. 

That’s not to say that you don’t have a crazy-hi level of risk tolerance (you might), but the way you’ve described your transactions is as having very low levels of risk. (i.e.: You have very little to lose even if everything goes wrong.)

Just saying that every situation has to be assessed individually and people with a very high level of risk tolerance may use common sense and decide that some transactions just aren't worth the calculated risk.

I just don't think it's as simple as high vs. low risk tolerance.

That is the essence of low risk tolerance.

I list, I sell, I ship.

That is my entire thought process.

Photobucket
Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

That is the essence of low risk tolerance.

I list, I sell, I ship.

That is my entire thought process.

Yes, I agree.  The way you buy and sell means that there is virtually no risk involved in your transactions.

Your worst case scenario is losing the cost of shipping.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

I agree. That's not to say anything about risk tolerance and everything about what you can (literally) afford to lose.
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

In other words:

The risk of what you have to lose (nothing) is completely separate from your tolerance of risk.
Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
In other words:

The risk of what you have to lose (nothing) is completely separate from your tolerance of risk.

Yes, and for transactions with nothing or very little to lose even an individual with no tolerance for risk whatsoever will complete those transactions without stressing over them.

In other words:  Just list, sell, and ship.  No fuss, no muss, no mess, no insurance.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply