non trackable tracking numbers

Why does eBay allow China sellers to post non trackable numbers in the "Tracking Number" section?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: non trackable tracking numbers

Because ebay does not give a flying Ferengi about its USERS- its just after the $$$$ provided by the China sellers.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Sometimes those non-trackable 'tracking' numbers still contain relevant information: if you are importing something and you get a bill prior to delivery for import fees, it will reference that number. It allows the recipient to cross-reference the item they are paying duty to receive. Importing into Canada, this is less of an issue for us since that fee is usually collected right at the door by the postie or courier (rarely, it is a bill that comes via courier after the fact) but in the EU, it is common to have the government bill you for tariffs due before the country postal carrier will delivery it to you.

In short, it makes sense outside Canada to allow it.

Also, a non-trackable tracking number might be trackable on a different carrier but show nothing until it enters Canada. 

Finally, tracking protects only the seller. The onus lays ENTIRELY on the seller to prove an item was DELIVERED to the buyer, not just shipped. If you don't have tracking that says it was delivered to you within the time frame promised, contact your seller. Do not accept an offer for replacement from anyone outside your country, it won't arrive in time and this 'I'll send you another' by overseas sellers is often (not always) merely a stall tactic. If you still have no item and no refund, open an Item Not Received Case via ebay if within 30 days or paypal within 180. Follow the instructions to do so very carefully. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Because customers feel protected by 'tracking'.

In fact, of course, it is useless.

Tracking does not speed up shipping.

Tracking does not generate gentler handling.

Tracking does not insure against damage or loss in transit.

What tracking does do is provide proof to eBay or Paypal that the tracked item has been delivered, protecting the SELLER from fake claims of non-delivery.

Chinese sellers (or any others) who provide a non-trackable number have concluded that providing 'a' number leads to fewer claims of non-delivery from buyers who realize that with little effort the buyers can get the items free.

If a parcel arrives when you are not there to claim it, a card will be left telling you where and when you can pick it up. This is for any package, tracked or not.

So again, tracking is useless* for the BUYER.

*Well, it does give the buyer the warm fuzzies, but it has no other benefit for him.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi

I purchase and sell and the tracking doesn't make much difference I sent package in Canada came back to me with not that there are no address of this kind after fighting for the money back and get in it  I resent this package again normal mail that get there 2 days later.

I hope that helps.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply