pennies from last million rolls

lucv13
Community Member

Why would someone with a good rep over 400 transactions suddenly want to deceive people by selling pennies that are supposedly from specific rolls in the last 20000 - there is no way to verify that the penny didn't just come from his pocket.  Yes I succumbed to the illusion that I was buying a roll not a coin - have filed a dispute and hopefully get my money back.

I just don't understand why he's throwing it all away all of a sudden

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

It is amazing how many people fail to read a listing properly

and expect to get their money refunded.

Brilliant Uncirculated Penny from roll number 1,460/20,000. One of the last million Pennies made

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Tthe wording in the listing is quite clear that the auction is for 1 penny. But, the seller was asking for trouble by using a picture of a roll of coins as their gallery pic especially since they had already had complaints about the listing being misleading. However, the buyer should have looked at more than the picture before buying. So, neither of them are blameless imo.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Since we have all had at least one buyer who never read our descriptions, I would think eliminating the picture with the roll would be sound advice.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Any numismatists know the current market price for those full uncut sheets of one dollar and two dollar bills? I think the face values were $20 and $40.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

He's deliberately misleading people, doesn't seem to care about his feedback anymore.  I guess I'll have to wait for the Paypal resolution to decide - The seller didn't send any proof to show that this particular penny comes from roll 1460 of the 20000 last rolls, for all I know he dug into his pockets and sent it.  I guess the only way to prove this is that he would need to provide an affidavit with every penny sold - we all know that the rolls are marked but there is nothing to differentiate a penny from this roll to any other 2012 penny whether in the last million or in general circulation

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I'm confused.  I thought your complaint was that you received a single coin when you were expecting a roll.  Now all of a sudden the nature of your complaint has changed.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

lol no the nature of the complaint has not changed at all however since it is being reviewed by Paypal if I lose then I would expect some type of verification as outlined

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@lucv13 wrote:

lol no the nature of the complaint has not changed at all however since it is being reviewed by Paypal if I lose then I would expect some type of verification as outlined

Although the seller obviously has some work to do on their listings & on customer service, I don't agree that he was misrepresenting this auction. Both the title and listing info stated that the auction was for 1 penny. There was no certificate promised so you sholdn't be expecting one. Assuming that the penny is what he said it is...then you got exactly what you purchased.

I don't know what will happen in your case with Paypal but often the person who claims an item is fake has to prove it...not the other way around.

Or, you may be required to send the penny back with delivery confirmation before you can receive a refund.

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

If he wanted to scam people, he would have said that it was from the last roll, not the last 200,000 minted.

Some reasonable sense has to be used.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Since most buyers don't read the entire listings or just glance over them,doesn't it make sense to make these listing abundantly clear on what it is for sale and how many piece there are,with appropriate and actual pictures of the items and so on just to remove any form of misunderstanding ?

I have witnessed a few listings which are misleading and even bothered to contact the sellers to let them know only because I don't believe it was done purposely to play with words and pictures in order to confuse the buyers in to thinking they are getting a great deal.

Just the other day I was looking for a set of special drill bits and found a listing with a picture of a set of 3 for slightly lower price than the rest,but when I clicked on it I found out it was for individual bit not the set,why I asked the seller put a picture of three bits if he/she is selling one?Needless to say I got no response.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Those confuse me too.Does it take such a long time to take three pictures or three scans? Sometimes I will set up my scanner to picture a few postcards but it is quite simple to make one scan and make it into three pictures.
And if a technodolt like me can do it, any idiot can.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I didn't find the ad misleading at all, I felt the use of the roll of coins in the picture actually added an air of authenticity to the item.  I do not know how a collector could confirm or deny the penny was from the last day of manufacture  however, without the coin being in the original roll.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I  see at least 8 other transactions for this listing in the last month

where the buyers had no problem with their purchase and left Pos. Feedback.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I  see at least 8 other transactions for this listing in the last month

where the buyers had no problem with their purchase and left Pos. Feedback.

I see at least 5 other transactions in the last 10 days for this item where the buyer left negative feedback.

That isn't very good odds.

Anyway....the seller is no longer a registered user.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

I agree my name is john a usa collector ,the day is coming when America stops making pennies,canada did it right,1st came the boxes and I don't have a clue about canadan pennies,there for people who collect coins and could get a roll for $6 then came the mint  double box with a book or page,then 2 rolls of black lable then the adbui what there called I can't prounoce plus my spelling sucks anyway,this is history,no more pennies,extinc that makes them valuable ,the last roll should be graded 1 through 50, and he would get a g a penny,thats 4 real I see what your saying, 2 get around you have 2 tell him that your giving him bad feedback you would see how much a person changes,the picture might say 1 thing ,except when you get them you;ll get the real # if they were not over 200. you got a kind of a deal,they will not b back I just found out 2 weeks ago and got 3 rolls and looking 4 more, the last mill are wroth more then silver,this is a big deal it tells who is a real collector and who is not there are 61 million coin collectors in American ,thank you jpg999coins at

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

no more pennies,extinc that makes them valuable

All that makes them valuable is demand.

If 100 are available and 101 people want them, the price rises.

If 100 are available and 99 people want them, the price falls.

Look into the price of those uncut sheets of Canadian dollar and two dollar bils that were such a popular Christmas gift when those bills were phased out in favour of loonie and toonie coins.

You know what is valuable? Pre- 1994 Canadian pennies have a higher value as copper bullion than their face.

A business acquaintance in Montreal was buying CDN pennines at 1.5 cents each (rolled) for any face value. He then sorted out the pre-1994 ones and sold them to smelters in the US. He couldn't sell them domestically because that would be defacing currency. The others went into his change drawer/ taken to the bank and exchanged for cash at face. A lot of labour so I guess they were worth well over 1.5 cents.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply