phony 16GB flash drives

I bid and won a 16GB flash drive and when it arrived I discovered that it was a defective 4GB that had been hacked to list as a 16Gb. It would store files up to just over 3GB and then all files and folders after that would just be empty file names.

This same hack and fraud scheme was run on Ebay many years ago on smaller flash drives.

The problem is , that you won't notice this until you have stored more than the defective size of the 4GB and then try to read any of your files supposedly above that defective size. Your file reader or wordpad will list your files and folders above the defective limit but when you try to open them, there is nothing there.

This is a criminal Fraud action in any criminal court in the world; I have contacted ebay and insisted that they bar this seller from listing any more of these hacked sticks on Ebay; as of the present moment , the seller is still listing these hacked drives on Ebay

If you have bought one of these drives, immediately load it  with 6GB or more and then try to read the files from top down. If you bought one of these hacked drives contact me.

dave!!!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

phony 16GB flash drives

You have left negative feedback. I hope that at the same time you left Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal transaction would get Five Stars. The lowest rating you can leave is ONE Star. Not leaving stars is a free pass.

If a sellers DSRs drop below 4.3 his ability to list and sell on eBay are severely restricted.

You can open an Item Not As Described dispute. The problem of course is that to win the dispute, you would have to prove return to the seller. That could easily cost $40 for a Chinese seller. 

Sometimes PP will refund from their own pocket. You could ask in the Dispute for a North American address for the return. It might work.

And yes, it's an old scam making a resurgence. With the current low cost of thumbdrives, I'm surprised that anyone tries buying them offshore instead of at Staples.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Somebody at ebay has editted my posting; I posted the name of the hackfrauder for the Ebay community protection but ebay is more concerned about keeping their sellers than protecting the buyers. After all, Ebay makes it's money from the sellers.

Here is an excerpt from the email I sent the seller

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ebay has these emails and is aware that the seller has admitted to selling fraudulent flash drives on Ebay; the seller currently has more of these fraudulent drives listed on Ebay.

If this post is editted by ebay in any way I will immediately forward these details and charges to the California Department of Justice and to the "ic3.gov".

I never bluff

dave!!!

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

"If you do not remove your listings for these fraudulent devices immediately, I will begin legal actions and Ebay will have to answer for your illegal actions."

"I never bluff"

Good Luck with your legal action in California for a $7 item from China.  Let us know how things work out.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Yes, never bluff, these greedy sellers will usually trip up somewhere down the line.

We have seen it happen numerous times over the years.

There will be some karma directed towards them with name your attached to it.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

@reallynicestamps wrote:
With the current low cost of thumbdrives, I'm surprised that anyone tries buying them offshore instead of at Staples.

Isn't that the truth.  On any given week, you can usually find one or two that they're practically giving away.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

If this post is editted by ebay in any way I will immediately forward these details and charges to the California Department of Justice and to the "ic3.gov".

Ebay's board...ebay's rules.  It's quite clear in the board usage policies that you can not post quotes from a message or email sent to you by another user.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

I think we have a "crusader" in our midst.  Facts and logic will not get in their way.

OP, the fact is that this happens on a regular basis.  Just run the thing through as a SNAD and forget the Don Quijote routine.  Noboy's going to be impressed by it.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Don Quijote???    Ebay refuses to protect us from scams and frauds, so we have to protect ourselves.

Unfortunately, this seller has let ebay off the hook; or has he?

my latest email to the seller

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see you have removed the "fake 16GB sticks" from your ebay store.

You have many 32GB sticks listed for about the same price I paid for the "fake stick".

Instead of a refund, send me a comparable priced 32GB stick.

Ebay should be thankful to you; your prompt removal of the "fake sticks" has undermined my case against them for accessory, however, it still remains for you to determine and refund the other buyers of those "fake sticks"

When you have completed that task, then I will accept that you were victim of a crooked supplier and will arrange with you to reverse the feedback.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Forget 32 gig sticks.

Get refund.

Go to Staples.

That was easy.™

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

You should look a little closer at what I'm doing.

Ebay and all it's bigseller quackers are never going to do anything about the scammers and frauders on ebay.

I made it very simple; either the seller sits up and flies right or ebay will be prosecuted as an accessory.

Either way the seller will be pressured; if they don't fly right, then Ebay is left holding the bag in a criminal court.

Make no mistake; Ebay's negligence in these matters is an entirely criminal position and if I catch them
(if just one scammer or frauder refuses to fly right), I will bring criminal charges .

Oh, the seller is sending me a 32GB stick and will be meeting my other  demands

you might want to read my website                        cakehole-law.org

dave!!!

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Thanks for the website info.  I think I'd rather just refer you back to message #4 on this thread, though.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

You still don't see it.

I will not be suing Ebay; I will be having them prosecuted in a criminal court. It will cost me nothing but my time.

If Ebay is convicted, then it will open the door for a gigantic class action suite. I am not an iconoclast but when I see those on pedestals committing criminal acts and thumbing their noses at the rest of us, I get a terrible urge to tear them down. I don't care how high or mighty their pedestal.

Too bad all the sheeple don't have the balls to do what needs to be done. Most of them waste time and money on useless activity that benefits no one,usually not even themselves.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

"ebay will be prosecuted as an accessory."

"then Ebay is left holding the bag in a criminal court"

"Ebay's negligence in these matters is an entirely criminal position"

And you - from Canada - expect to be able to lay crimical charges against eBay in California.  Do you really think the justice system in the USA will take you seriously over a $7 item advertised on eBay that you, in Canada, purchased from China?

Even Don Quixote (the crazy fool who wanted to right all wrongs) knew better than that.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Like clockwork every season, some disgruntled buyer/seller threatens to launch a Class Action Lawsuit &/or lay Criminal Charges against eBay. 

Yawn.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

my my,

do you think they're trying to discourage me?

Or maybe they're just trying to convince the underfolks that that they can't fight Ebay!

Read my website, ; I'm used to taking on much bigger things than Ebay

Here's a true story:

A little piggy tried to railroad me several years ago(yes they still had one dumb enough to try); the judge made a point of addressing me at the preliminary hearing. He stated in front of the prosecutor that he was very impressed with my knowlegde of the law and my successes in reforming the Criminal Justice System of BC Canada. At the next hearing, that judge disqualified himself from the case and the crown was unable to find another judge willing to sit on the case. Six months later they were forced to drop the case for lack of prosecution. 

At a previous civil case that I was conducting for a friend, the Department of Justice California sent a lawyer to watch the case; the legal profession of North America is fully aware of me and not just a little afraid. 

read my website                    cakehole-law.org

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

Let me get that straight: you were charged with a crime and the justice department could not find a judge to sit on the case leading to an eventual dismissal.

And you seem to be proud of that!

I am glad I do not live in BC.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

No,

I was very excited to get into the arena with the juggernaut and kick it some more.

Unfortunately, the system backed down and I was not able to prove my innocence.

I was very disappointed.

Let's see;

A definite pattern is emerging here.  Several bigseller post insulting and misleading posts here referring to me as a disgruntled buyer who has no regard for logic or facts and "you" who referred to me as a Don Quixote and some sort of "Crusader" all in a deprecatory manner. The moderator of this board has edited my posts, while leaving your insults and deprecations for all to see. Further the moderator suspended my account here for 24 hours so I could not make immediate reply to your insults.

This is the arrogant behavior I have come to expect from Ebay over the years when I have attempted to force Ebay to deal with frauders and scammers. The pattern is always the same.

I just checked today and the seller has relisted the same "fake sticks". He has broken his agreement with me and I will be forwarding all of this to California Department of Justice and the other one which includes the FBI. You have made up my mind.

Any other insults?

oh, I'm saving this separately in case you delete any of it

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

I was just checking the sellers store to take another snapshot of his listing for the "fake sticks" and discovered that he has pulled all the listings for flash drives from his store; several dozens of them. I still have several "snapshots" of his "ebay store" showing the "fake stick" among the other flash drives listed there. He had relisted the "fake stick" after promising me to pull it.

I am still going to forward all this to the authorities; I just want to give some of the hundreds who have veiwed this thread a chance to comment. Do you want ebay to know how you feel about this farce?

dave!!!

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

phony 16GB flash drives

@daveparsnips wrote:
Do you want ebay to know how you feel about this farce?

Since I feel pretty indifferent about this situation, I suspect eBay wouldn't really care about how I felt about it.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply