"Attention Seller! We noticed your shipping cost looks high..."

I got such a message from Ebay. I list on American Ebay because 90% of my customers are Americans. I charge the real CP fee + cost of tube.

Attention Seller!

We noticed your shipping cost looks high compared to other listings in your category with similar shipping services. .

We've found that buyers are sensitive to shipping costs. Items with high shipping costs may be less likely to sell and may get less visibility in search results. Listings that violate the eBay Excessive Shipping Charges policy may be removed from the site.

Please review your shipping costs and make changes if necessary. For help, click the Research rates link in the shipping section.
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Photoshop works on live tv?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 21 of 62
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Absolutely.:^O

Bill

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

No amount of photoshop could improve your image Bill - not even an extreme maker.

As for Monique - we'll see who has the last laugh come July so enjoy your time here on the forum.

Once again your sniffing way to much salt as FITZ he a totally different human being from me and lives in a totally different part of Ontario and sell totally different products -- plus your twin Bill can attest to that since we meet both of us during the Powersellers Meeting that Fitz organized.

Not to mention the other 15 or so other Powerseller that were there.
Message 23 of 62
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
No... I'm pretty sure they are one and the same - or at least joined at the brain. In fact, when the new PS'er requirements kick in, I'd be willing to bet they both disappear simultaneously from this board.

By the way Timmy, the big word you see above means "at the same time". ROFLMAO

Bill

Message 24 of 62
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I happened to catch you on tv this morning. Good for you!! 😄

The problem I have with that too high shipping cost message and lowering in the search is that eBay isn't taking into consideration several things. I ship with USPS and for costly items I include the cost of insurance & a signature. I also state that in the listing so buyers know. I don't think it recognizes that when posting that notice.

Another is that if I'm selling a Wii or something like the Wii guitar shipping is going to cost more than shipping just a game in a DVD case which is what the rest of the items in that category are.

How can they penalize a seller for shipping costs of a large, heavy, insured, signature required item over something that can be sent letter mail or heck even Priority Mail envelope for so much less just because it's in the same category? That just seems wrong to me.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 25 of 62
latest reply

I absolutely agree with you jakeeangel!!
Message 26 of 62
latest reply

gamers_place
Community Member
Just came in this Post and saw new replies.

Future, what the heck is wrong with you? You forgot Bill's also the eBay Neighborhood watch-dog. (his Own words). Guess he just could stand being called 'Ya Big Suck!' huh. But you got 99 out of the 100 right!

Nice Store Future!

Jeff

P.S. Love your comments !!!
Message 27 of 62
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Could you make bigger fools of yourselves? Probably. LOL

Monique

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

eewww, now thats a nasty thought - there goes my dinner.
Message 29 of 62
latest reply

eureka9988
Community Member
Methinks the mud slinging is getting a little out of hand. This forum is here to help people solve problems. Some need to try to remember that.
Renee
Message 30 of 62
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
No kidding! It's looking a lot like Romper Room. OP and others raised good points that should be discussed. No pink is going to enter/comment in this thread because of the added stupidity in here.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 31 of 62
latest reply

ya ok, like PINKS ever comment on postings here -- the only pink sofar has been Miriam and she too is MIA for the last few days.

The only full timer here is the moderator they hired to remove postings otherwise we are pretty much to our own.
Message 32 of 62
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Here is a real e-mail- if anyone wants to tackle this-
COFFEE MUG- to be shipped in an 8" x 8" x 8" CUBE BOX-
weighing in at just less than 1kg when packaged.

LETTER FROM eBAY:

eBay Listing Removed: Circumvention of eBay Fees (=LS &12362 JM67604246)
Thank you for your recent Fixed Price listing. You listed the following:

110025596991 - STARBUCKS CANADA (NIAGARA FALLS) Skyline COFFEE MUG

Unfortunately, eBay removed your listing. All fees related to this listing have been credited to your account. We also notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has

been canceled.

The listing was removed because it violated the eBay Circumvention of eBay Fees policy. The violation occurred when you included the following information in your listing:

Shipping costs: To Canada -- US $12.00

Using systems and techniques that enable sellers to avoid paying eBay fees is not permitted. Trying to avoid fees is damaging to the online marketplace, penalizes sellers who pay their fees, and undermines members' trust.

eBay doesn't permit excessive shipping and handling charges because they may confuse buyers about the real cost of an item. Appropriate fees cover the expenses of mailing, packaging, and handling. To ensure that your shipping charges are not excessive, we recommend charging for the cost of the actual shipping and packaging materials. You may also charge a reasonable handling fee.

For more information on the eBay Circumvention of eBay Fees policy, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

To learn more about why eBay may remove Fixed Price listings, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/listing-ended.html
To learn how you may ensure a successful listing in the future, visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/policies.html
To review the eBay User Agreement, please go to:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html
Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely,
eBay Trust & Safety
Message 33 of 62
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Lina,

That's exactly what the eBay rep I was talking to the other day said that they would do if I stated shipping for ONE sheet of 12 x 12 paper TO THE STATES (and quite similiar for within Canada) at $6.99 US.

The rep said that $6.99 shipping for one sheet of paper was excessive and for sure eBay would pull the listing for trying to circumvent fees!

I explained to the rep that 12 x 12 paper could not ship as Other Letter and that it had to go as Small Packet (AIR) and that the basic shipping was $6.45 and I charged an additional 50 cents in handling.

She replied with, "Well, your handling is quite respectable, but your shipping is not." I explained to her that I did not control Canada Post but that all of us in Canada would appreciate her calling the head of Canada Post and letting them know HER THOUGHTS and feelings about it!

Needless to say....I won't be listing any paper on eBay any longer. I will move it to my other site.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this first hand.

Canadian shipping is so different from US shipping.

Have a good night!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 34 of 62
latest reply

Wow!!

I think the eBay staff responsible for sending emails like that should be required to KNOW the shipping rates that Canada Post charges.

I don't send many expedited parcels within Canada but I do send a few. With a flat rate of $10 I take a loss frequently depending on where it is going.

What would they do if you used the shipping calculator and it gave an even higher shipping cost?
Message 35 of 62
latest reply

If you list on .ca and specify the type of shipping service you are much less likely to run into this (it does still happen).

You don't really expect US eBay reps to know anything about Canada Post rates do you?

What would they do if you used the shipping calculator and it gave an even higher shipping cost?

If you used the .ca shipping calculator and specified the service (eg: Expedited), did not add an unreasonable handling charge....then this would not happen.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 36 of 62
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
recped-"You don't really expect US eBay reps to know anything about Canada Post rates do you?"

Here's how I see it-
IF you eBay.ANYWHERE give control over ANYONE- WHEREVER they are situated, to have the ability to PULL an auctions- for A SPECIFIC REASON; the I DAMN WELL EXPECT that individual to understand THAT SPECIFIC REASON!

ANYTHING LESS- and it is totally a breach of responsibility for eBay to permit this. If we in Canada are permitted to list on eBay sites- REGARDLESS of whichever one it may be, and it understood that the location from which the item is shipped is CANADA- and any such nonsense that this is clearly not understood (as CANADA is STATED), would be a violation of eBay's "ITEM LOCATION MISREPRESENTATION" policy.

SO- if the country of origin for shipping is known- then eBay has a duty to understand.

And let's not forget the fiction that eBay operates a DOT.CA- with all the necessary legal requirement for DOT.CA ownership- yet DOES NOT COLLECT applicable GST on any of its fees it charges to Canadians who list on the DOT.CA site.

Sooner or later- eBay will be held accountable for its activities.
Message 37 of 62
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Why does eBay expect us to be accountable for following their rules.
Yet- no one holds them accountable when they fail to do so?
Message 38 of 62
latest reply

"You don't really expect US eBay reps to know anything about Canada Post rates do you?"

I have to agree with Lina here. If they are going to pull listings because of what they perceive to be excessive shipping charges then they should know what they are talking about.

If you used the .ca shipping calculator and specified the service (eg: Expedited), did not add an unreasonable handling charge....then this would not happen.

That may be true but, as I said, I don't send very many Expedited packages. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't use flat rate for some listings and the shipping calculator for others. Most of my products are sent Light or Small Packet. I have always used flat rate with a handling charge for packaging. I could raise my prices and eliminate the handling charge but it is not possible with the predatory pricing of my competitors.
Message 39 of 62
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Of course in the above post I am referring to the powerful Elite of the USA who hold positions of power and influence both politically and business wise, NOT the everyday person in America it is happening to. Those folks have my sympathy.
Message 40 of 62
latest reply