"PRIVATE" FEEDBACK

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that anyone with "private" feedback has something to hide and didn't want anyone to know that they are having problems with sellers, etc.

It is ironic that eBay encourages us to tell "our experience with our fellow" in feedback area and yet the sellers cannot give our buyers neutral or negative feedback?   Also it is ironic that eBay encourages us to tell our experiences to make eBay safe and enjoy but allows those buyers to "hide" behind "private" feedback.   eBay is in conflict of those comments!

I have seen many sellers giving negative comments in positives which are not allowed but they are trying to warn other sellers to avoid the similar problems which I don't blame them.  It is eBay's FAULT for not allowing the sellers to give their buyers neutral or negative feedback so that the other sellers can be aware and avoid the similar problems.

Don't you think it is high time eBay removes "private" on all ebayers with "private' in feedback in order to protect the sellers.  I see that there are more and more "private" buyers that are causing lots of grief to sellers than ever and they think they can get away with it.

Time to remove "private' from feedback.

To eBay, if you REALLY care about sellers, then remove it! 

I knew some ebayers with "private" will oppose this but you have to see on our side.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: "PRIVATE" FEEDBACK

I agree that there shouldn't be a "private" setting that hides the comments sellers leave for purchaes. But I think people should be able to hide their purchases. eBay could leave the feedback number next to the user ID and seller comment but remove the item number, description, seller name and link to item from the feedback area. That way sellers could see if soft positives were left for a buyer, but a buyer could hide their purchases from prying eyes. This new "private" setting for purchases would also apply to people who have their accounts registered for selling. Also, in a "private setting one should not be able to search a user ID to find what they purchased for the past 30 days--instead of showing purchases eBay could just show "Purchases for this ID are private."

fdbkimg.jpg

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hi folks, hope you won't mind a comment from the UK?

This ID is now only a "Posting ID" and I "sacrificed" it on the last Platform Change when the "10 feedback" rule was introduced.

You can still see the number of F/B of a "Private" ID but you can't see the comments. (Mine are all positives anyway).

The reason I made the ID "Private" when I switched to using it for posting was because we have a number of trolls in the UK who try to pick up information to either poke fun at or attack regular posters. In spite of being banned umpteen times, they keep re-registering new IDs to continue their attacks.

Other people switch to "Private" F/B when they've been given an unjustified neg (sometimes with nasty comments) and it takes time to get the neg removed so they're "Private" while the process is on-going.

Surely it's up to a buyer or seller to choose whether to trade with a "Pivate" F/B or not?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  I don't think sellers are allowed to have "private" in their feedback if they are selling.  Or do they are allowed?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

If you choose private feedback, I think that it applies both to sellers and buyers -- many users are both anyway.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It is not possible to set your feedback to Private if you have any active listings, and if your feedback is set to private you can't set up any listings.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

No. I have private feedback because I don't want a bunch of nosy people to see what I have bought in the past. 

I have never left a neg. for a seller, and I pay within minutes of winning an auction. 

I'm just testing out the new format, so please don't be offended by my post. I want to see if the text bubble changes color after I post. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I don't mind seeing any side as long as it's balanced.

eBay currently allow all sellers to list private auctions which means that, when a buyer comes to leave feedback, especially if it's negative or neutral, you cannot see what the item was that was a negative experience for them

Even worse, is that it is a growing cover for shill bidders which in the UK is an illegal act but which eBay has constantly failed to address and deal with effectively, even when it's so glaring obvious, the proverbial cat-bidder could see it with blindfolds on.

As the buyer is buying items that are personal to them, they should have the option to keep that private although it's not actually even possible to do that.

Maybe some of the suggestions here, and on other forums could be looked at and the system changed, but first, IMHO private auctions for nealy all, except a few specific catagories should be removed completely.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Just a couple of further comments on the subject.

My previous comments about sellers making their F/B "Private" after an unjustified neg from an (I'll be polite) unreasonable buyer has been carried out by the seller by removing all their listings and not selling while the process to remove the unjustified neg trundles on.

Some sellers have been so upset and embarrassed by an unjustified neg which ebay wouldn't remove so they either stopped selling altogether or have ditched that ID and begun again.

I've just checked back on one who did just that, they ditched a F/B of nearly 1500 after all previous positives due to one awful buyer.

Here's a reason for having some items made "private".

TWO ladies of board acquaintance bought some, er, delicate items of clothing for their mothers on ebay. THEN nosy posters checked up what they'd bought and made offensive and abusive comments about the nature and size of the items on the boards and the ladies protestations that the items were for their mothers were only met with more abuse and ridicule.

Having seen photos of the posters, I could see that the items were obviously not for themselves. Neither of those ladies post any more.

How do people feel about "Private" F/B and items now? How would they handle it?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

How do you get out of "Preview" if you want to add something else??

Ah-ha, you click "rich text"? I have to thank Luise*75 for that.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@aernethril wrote:

Maybe some of the suggestions here, and on other forums could be looked at and the system changed, but first, IMHO private auctions for nealy all, except a few specific catagories should be removed completely.

I totally agree with this comment. If the items are BIN (and only BIN), I think it's OK to have private listings, because obviously, the price cannot be increased by a shill bidder.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@cee-dee wrote:

TWO ladies of board acquaintance bought some, er, delicate items of clothing for their mothers on ebay. THEN nosy posters checked up what they'd bought and made offensive and abusive comments about the nature and size of the items on the boards and the ladies protestations that the items were for their mothers were only met with more abuse and ridicule.

Having seen photos of the posters, I could see that the items were obviously not for themselves. Neither of those ladies post any more.

How do people feel about "Private" F/B and items now? How would they handle it?

I feel sorry for these ladies. Some people are very rude and cruel 😞  With that said, they could create an ID used just for posting on the boards. Many members here are doing this.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

When buying , some don't like others knowing about it.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I had a buyer who claim not received its items. He buy me 3 items in 2  purchase . One after another, now He ask for full refund on the 3 items  All is feedback are private and he is only a buyer. How can I know if he dont do the same thing to others sellers in the past.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

It is eBay's FAULT for not allowing the sellers to give their buyers neutral or negative feedback so that the other sellers can be aware and avoid the similar problems.

Most sellers cannot see their customers' feedback because most listings on eBay are Fixed Price. There is no bidding, just a purchase.

The system of filing for Unpaid Items and allowing automatic Blocks is more useful. It does of course mean that seller with deadbeat buyers must file the UIDs and give the Strikes.

Even among auction sellers, those with many auctions are not monitoring constantly.

So allowing negative feedback would affect only a relatively small number of occasional and part-time auctioneers.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply