shipping raised after payment

iwtl
Community Member

I have started using ebay a fair bit to purchase items the last 2 years and consider myself a good buyer - up till now I have always left good feedback - always paid within an hour of winning an item and have been polite and respectful in correspondence with sellers. In other words I always fulfill my purchase agreements.

I have run across a situation and before acting ( it seems from reading these forums that once you start a process it is difficult to change it )

Situation - I bid on and win an item that has a set shipping price.

On winning the bid I pay for the item

Next day I get an email telling me my payment was refunded with the message that shipping was 3 dollars more than the fixed price.

Seller provides me with the option that if within 24 hours I accept I can be re invoiced for the new amount which would increase shipping 3 bucks ( I have 24 hours to decided )

If I do nothing the transaction will be deemed canceled.

So my issue is - the seller has 100% good feedback and I would hate to blemish it - Although I collect the items I would not want to do business with any seller doing that - I honor my purchase agreements and expect sellers to also honor theirs. Is this the way it works on ebay? Is no sale final if an item sells to cheap? Is this something I should be leaving factual negative feedback for or something else?

Or in the world of ebay is this something to just accept as normal and leave it alone?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I guess it depends on how much you want that item... do you still want that item for $3 more? If you disagree with paying that extra $3, that seller would probably refuse to ship it to you (keep in mind that you cannot threaten sellers to ship by giving them a negative feedback since that's against ebay's rule) - can you find the same item elsewhere for the same price? 

As a seller I would not ask for extra shipping after the sale (especially if it was of error on my end, such as miscalculation or unaware of postal rate increase) - I think that's against eBay's rule?

You said the seller has 100% good feedback... but what's the feedback score? 10 and 1000, significant difference. 

I don't think the seller can file an unpaid item dispute against you because you said you paid already (via Paypal I assume) and even if you were refunded, that should still protect you from an unpaid item dispute. And I don't think sellers can file an unpaid item dispute if eBay has record that buyer has already paid once, right?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It is a violation of eBay rules to raise the shipping after the listing is closed. Tell the seller you want him to honour the original agreeement or appropriate feedback will be left.

It is just that simple, but do not couple this with a threat of any kind.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Is this for the sign where the listing (BC seller) states:

"Canadian Residents - shipping via Canada Post estimated at $15.74 (please email me for exact cost with your postal code) "

If so, had you contacted the seller with your postal code information prior to purchasing the item?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

iwtl
Community Member

No - for the signs I as a good buyer contacted them prior to bidding and got a shipping rate that simply can't be beat.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

OK - let's play 36 questions. 

Is it for the canadian Tire truck with a shipping charge of US$13.00 quoted in the listing?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

iwtl
Community Member

My intent was not to single a person out on a forum but rather to ask what a reasonable reaction should be - your correct on the item bout like I said above - would not consider purchasing it now - I have no clue what your referring to about playing 36 questions ?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

hoppy24
Community Member

Is it for the canadian Tire truck with a shipping charge

Now pierre... not to throw salt in the wound... but did you see THAT pic? damn almost made my eyes hurt being so blurry...unlike the stamp pic. I am no master photographer, but that truck pic would not have been my first choice in pictures.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"would not consider purchasing it now"

If the seller refunded your payment (including $13 shipping as listed) and is now asking $16 shipping, the seller is wrong.  Period.

Do not accept the cancellation request.

The fact the seller has 100% is unfortunately meaningless.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

"not to throw salt in the wound... but did you see THAT pic?"

Ouch! That hurts! 😞

eBay is happy as the photo meets their standards! 😞

We live in a strange world.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Like Pierre said - do not accept the cancellation request.

And like I said before:

It is a violation of eBay rules to raise the shipping after the listing is closed. Tell the seller you want him to honour the original agreemeent or appropriate feedback will be left.

It is just that simple, but do not couple this with a threat of any kind.

If he does not respond or comply - then leave him what you consider to be the appropriate feedback.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It is a violation of eBay rules to raise the shipping after the listing is closed. Tell the seller you want him to honor the original agreement or appropriate feedback will be left.

That may be considered a feedback threat and the seller may have be able to feedback removed.

If the OP really wants the item, pay the extra $3 and after receiving the item, leave appropriate feedback and DSR rating.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

That may be considered a feedback threat and the seller may have be able to feedback removed.

If the OP really wants the item, pay the extra $3 and after receiving the item, leave appropriate feedback and DSR rating.

Wrong - here is a quote right out of the eBay Customer Support page on feedback extorsion.

Check out #3.

Examples that aren't Feedback extortion

A buyer says he or she will leave negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings (DSRs) unless the seller accepts a return and pays for return shipping.

A buyer says he or she will leave negative Feedback or DSRs unless the seller gives a full or partial refund for an item.

A buyer feels the shipping costs are too high and says he or she will leave negative Feedback or DSRs unless the seller lowers the shipping costs.

A buyer pays for an item and waits several weeks for it to arrive. The buyer tells the seller that if the item doesn't arrive by a certain date, he or she will leave negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings (DSRs).

A buyer receives an item and decides the item is significantly not as it was described in the original listing. The buyer tells the seller he or she will leave negative Feedback unless the seller allows it to be returned for a refund.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Wrong - here is a quote right out of the eBay Customer Support page on feedback extorsion.

Check out #3.

Examples that aren't Feedback extortion

A buyer says he or she will leave negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings (DSRs) unless the seller accepts a return and pays for return shipping.

A buyer says he or she will leave negative Feedback or DSRs unless the seller gives a full or partial refund for an item.

A buyer feels the shipping costs are too high and says he or she will leave negative Feedback or DSRs unless the seller lowers the shipping costs.

A buyer pays for an item and waits several weeks for it to arrive. The buyer tells the seller that if the item doesn't arrive by a certain date, he or she will leave negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings (DSRs).

A buyer receives an item and decides the item is significantly not as it was described in the original listing. The buyer tells the seller he or she will leave negative Feedback unless the seller allows it to be returned for a refund.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm just dense, but if I received a message like any of the above, I would take it as feedback extortion. seems to me like eBay is really trying to drive sellers away from here.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Yr likely right - but that is right out of the eBay feedback guidelines - here is another one:

"Buyers sometimes threaten to leave negative Feedback if the transaction didn't meet their expectations. Although this can be unpleasant, it's not considered to be Feedback extortion. Feedback extortion is when a buyer threatens to leave negative Feedback unless you provide goods and services that weren't part of the original transaction.'

Message 15 of 15
latest reply