square trade lesson

katiusciav
Community Member
well...another lesson learned...don't waste a good 35.00 cdn to get square trade involved...i had recently submitted a mutual withdrawal feedback request to my one buyer that left me a negetive-no response...i emailed ebay asking that based on the fact that he had invalid contact information, and that i tried to contact him to resolve this but couldn't, his feedback be removed....nope. (good try though). so i tried square trade. i didn't even know they charge 29.95us until i was almost complete the registration, so i cancelled it, and then got a message stating 'are you sure you want to cancel? you can't re-open if you cancel now'-so i figured, fine, okay...
the first 'reply' i got from square trade, i couldn't even open due to technical issues, it took two days for me to finally get it open, all it said was that the other party received the mediation announcement, and to wait for further instruction. a few days later (today), i get another email from square trade saying the dispute is over because the other party doesn't wish to continue mediating. that's it. over. i don't even get to see the other party's messages/complaints/comments...i don't get a chance to be in on anything...i thought it would have been a more involved process than a couple of emails back and forth, and then, that's it, case closed. thank you for your 29.95...i knew that a mediator worked between the two of us, but i thought it would have been more involved than that, where there would have been more effort on the mediator's part to get this thing resolved after the other party said they didn't want to pursue it anymore. i don't even get to know what the other party was told, or anything. i feel like i've been jipped...i'll never use them again.
i know alot of people are thinking i shouldn't worry about one negetive, but it just buggs me every time i see it, especially since it was one of those that i didn't have a chance to resolve-then OR now.
anyways, serves me right i guess...i knew it was 29.95, just another lesson learned...rotten buyer..some people are so miserable..:-(
Kat
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

square trade lesson

Hi Kat,

Sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for posting, I didn't know they charged $29.95 US...what a waste of money if they can't get the buyer to enter into negotiations.

Nora

Trinkets in Time
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
I've used Square Trade twice and only have 50% success with it. Unless a mediator was involved you won't be charged the $29.99USD. If your buyer stonewalled mediation from the start, chances are a mediator was not involved and you won't be charged the fee.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

itrecovery
Community Member
Square trade is known waste of money. Complain, they may refund you if you scream loud anough.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

katiusciav
Community Member
orbit-i didn't know i had choice to have a mediator involved or not-i thought that's what square trade WAS all about-having a mediator. either way, i got charged. and i am thinking of calling to complain about their lack of effort
Kat
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

jakeeangel
Community Member
I wish you would have asked before signing up. It would have saved you money. Many, if not all, long time eBayers know it's a total waste of time & money. You might also want to read the fine print VERY carefully! I've heard reports of people not being able to cancel and keep getting charged for it even after they thought they cancelled.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

katiusciav
Community Member
i'm actually just on hold with them now...finding a phone number on their site is reeeaaaal difficult...i'm complaining to the operator that NOTHING was done, and if the other party didn't want to pursue...fine, but don't charge me for nothing being done!!! a couple of automatic emails, literally, gimme a break-RIPOFF!!! anyways, she refunded me...and LAST TIME!!!
Kat
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

jakeeangel
Community Member
Unfortunately that's what happens when you don't read things through enough. It's like newbies complaining that eBay charges them even if their item didn't sell. Well, sorry but....

It's a service you sign up for and they don't guarantee results nor can they do anything but send an email to the person you're trying to communicate with. What more could they do? They're certainly not going to knock on their door.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

katiusciav
Community Member
actually, she said because no mediation was involved, i shouldn't have been charged. that's what i was complaining about-NO MEDIATION was ever done.
Kat
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

katiusciav
Community Member
and um...i did read it before signing up!!
Kat
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

tea_past_times
Community Member
Square Trade = Money Grab. Totally useless!
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

jakeeangel
Community Member
Unfortunately yes and eBay pushes them. :(

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

Yes SquareTrade is a rip-off, I too signed up for their trial period last year and despite cancelling our subscription they still to this date put their logos into all our ads - we have never paid one dime of their monthly subscription fees nor have we ever used their services nor will we.

They expect both parties to pay their ridiculous fees of US$29.99 for mediation not just the party requesting it so if you agree to pay the mediation costs and the other party does not -- then guess what - your out the US$29.99 plus you still have the negative feedback on eBay -- nice deal for them.

STAY AWAY - infact run from SQUARETRADE.

Regards,

TIM @ FTL
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

whoscloset
Community Member
SquareTrade has been worthless ever since ebay introduced mutual FB withdrawl. Actually, it was relatively worthless prior to that.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

square trade lesson

katiusciav
Community Member
They expect both parties to pay their ridiculous fees of US$29.99 for mediation not just the party requesting it so if you agree to pay the mediation costs and the other party does not -- then guess what - your out the US$29.99 plus you still have the negative feedback on eBay -- nice deal for them.

which is probably why my other party ended all negotiations. glad i found out, and got my money back...
Kat
Message 15 of 15
latest reply