which polyester thread to buy

I would like to try some China or India polyester sewing thread but the information is sketchy and many dont even list the quantity they are selling.

What suggestions do you have for purchasing.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I know little to nothing about thread but I will advise you NOT to buy anything from a seller that isn't very specific about what it is that is being sold. Plus, the further you are from your seller, the harder it is to return an item that is Not as Described. Anything that you might save by making an overseas purchase will likely be lost in that regard.

If you want to do a litmus test, ask the seller a few questions first. You might like your answer or you might receive none at all. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The best polyester threads in the world are Mettler and Gütermann, both German-made.  There are many North American sellers on eBay selling both.  Coats & Clark (a U.S. company) also sells decent sewing threads, but nothing like the absolutely consistent and dependable quality of the German-made threads.  

I would never advise buying thread from China or India, especially if you're sewing garments using a sewing machine.  Poor quality control and/or outdated machinery in India, combined with dubiously sourced raw product (polyester is made from petroleum products, in case you didn't know) means that much of the thread sold there is of inconsistent quality at best.  At worst, it will bind, break, fray and jam in your sewing machine. 

The problem with Chinese-made thread is similar, but not so much due to outdated machinery as to caliber of raw product and lack of end control of quality, as well as fake products (names close to, or mimicking well-known European or American brands, but of really inferior quality).  

With both countries, you have the seller issues to deal with as well, as 'mjwl' pointed out.  

Do yourself a favour -- pay a few dollars more and get the real thing.  If you need a lot of thread for industrial-scale sewing, you'll find some U.S. sellers with whole boxes full of termann polyester sewing thread, in a mix of every imaginable colour. 

P.S. If you're doing fine heirloom sewing, there are also good quality, European-made silk and pima cotton threads available on eBay. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Wow! Who knew there was that much to know about thread?! Thank you, rose-dee. I learned something new. Very interesting. I am tempted to check my sewing baskets now to see what I grabbed the last time I was crafting. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Oh yes, thread is one of those things that seems so lowly and insignificant, but can make a critical difference, both in ease of use and quality of finished garment or product.  And of course it's like hand tools -- it's best if you have the right one in the right size for every job.  

I have literally dozens and dozens of spools of thread in my stock, of 6 or 7 different types, in various colours.  It's the one thing I never scrimp on.  Woman Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
latest reply