who was the idiot that dreamed up this shipping concept? Can you sue to received ripped off funds?

I wish there was an option to ebay I would be gone its getting to be more of a ripp off all the time...and now they are in it with the Governments to take imposrt charges when they have no right in the first place...thieves...ebay and the government..just saying

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

who was the idiot that dreamed up this shipping concept? Can you sue to received ripped off funds?

"Can you sue to received ripped off funds?"

Yes, in Canada anyone can sue anyone else for anything.

All you need is some money for the lawyers and legal fees. It does not matter if your case is valid or not: you can sue!

In this case, you would be going against the Government of Canada for collecting GST/HST as provided by law.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I should add that if you do not want to purchase from American sellers offering the Global Shipping Program (GSP) where taxes are collected at time of payment (instead of time of receipt), you can simply hit the back button and purchase from a seller not enrolled in the program.

Listings clearly state if "import charge" applies or not.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I  strongly dislike Global Shipping !!  This is just a money grab.  Any taxes or import duty is usually paid by the receiver of the merchandise when they pick up their shipment from the Post Office or when delivered.  If Pitney Bowes handles the merchandise, they charge a handling fee.  Canada Customs decides if duty or taxes are to be paid.  The Canadian goverment has increased the value of merchandise Canadians can bring back from the States, it's $400.00 for a 48 hour stay. 

As for sueing go after Global Shipping...Pitney Bowes... as they are the people who are charging the import fees.

BEST IS TO NOT PURCHASE FROM SELLERS THAT ARE USING GLOBAL SHIPPING...AND COMPLAIN TO EBAY.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@5790gail wrote:

I  strongly dislike Global Shipping !!  This is just a money grab.

A money grab for whom?

Any taxes or import duty is usually paid by the receiver of the merchandise when they pick up their shipment from the Post Office or when delivered.  If Pitney Bowes handles the merchandise, they charge a handling fee.  Canada Customs decides if duty or taxes are to be paid. 

If Canada Border Services assesses a postal import, they also charge a fee.  It's C$9.95.

@5790gail wrote:

The Canadian goverment has increased the value of merchandise Canadians can bring back from the States, it's $400.00 for a 48 hour stay. 

This has nothing to do with items that eBay users import by mail or some other carrier.  Anything with a declared value of C$20 or more can have taxes (and duties) applied to it at Canada Border Services' discretion.

Or did I misunderstand your post and you're actually advocating that we all do a little cross-border shopping this week?

@5790gail wrote:

As for sueing go after Global Shipping...Pitney Bowes... as they are the people who are charging the import fees.

BEST IS TO NOT PURCHASE FROM SELLERS THAT ARE USING GLOBAL SHIPPING...AND COMPLAIN TO EBAY.

Okay, so Pitney Bowes is charging the import fees.  Big whoop. The bulk of those import fees are taxes (and duty, if applicable), and they don't pull those charges out from the area below their tailbone.  Take the taxes owing off those import charges and in many cases you'll find an amount less than what Canada Border Services would charge (see above).

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Depending on what these fees are, you can opt to assert your right to self-file with a CBSA office under their Low-Value Shipments program.

I would suggest looking into it. I know this is how you get around premium fees from Fedex and UPS for paying the GST (they charge a premium to do the minimal paperwork). 

Keep in mind however that self-filing can be difficult if you can't appear in-person during their constrained hours.

**This does not constitute legally valid advice or warranty of any kind. It's a suggestion. Do your own research.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you dislike the Global Shipping Program, don't order from the USA, which is the only country where sellers can enroll in it.

The problem is the xenophobic fear US sellers have of foreign buyers. The Program protects US sellers from claims of non-delivery. A real problem but much smaller than American seller think.

But we are talking about a nation that can't understand that Puerto Rico is part of the USA and Hawaii is not a small town in Kenya.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If you dislike the Global Shipping Program, don't order from the USA, which is the only country where sellers can enroll in it.

There are many U.S. sellers who do not use the GSP program so I don't that it is necessary to avoid all U.S. sellers.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply