why are some buyers address UNCONFIRMED

Isn't Ebay supposed to verify a buyers address and confirm it before a buyer can make a purchase. Why why why are addresses UNCONFIRMED?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

xeposter
Community Member

Buyers can pretty much put whatever they want as their address when they register.

If somebody with a weird or silly address bought from you, you should contact them and ask for a correct one. If they never reply, suppose they are just some mean person out to cause problems.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Should I ship to an Unconfirmed ADDRESS ,are there risk involved shipping to a buyer with an unconfirmed address?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

To you, what is "unconfirmed?" Is there something majorly sill about the Address like in this example?

----

Joe Norton

76767 Awesome Lane

Woo-hoo, QB, 12345

----

Don't post the buyer's address of course, but what makes you think it is strange?

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@winner188 wrote:
Should I ship to an Unconfirmed ADDRESS ,are there risk involved shipping to a buyer with an unconfirmed address?

None really, the requirement for Seller Protection and confirmed addresses was eliminated more than 10 years ago. Of course there are still sellers copying other sellers copying other sellers who include this requirement in their TOS.

Most addresses that are "confirmed" are because there is a credit card attached to the PayPal account

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

About a month ago, I had a zero feedback buyer whose address checked out to be an empty field in Nelson, B.C.

I spotted the purchase moments after it occurred, checked the address, and cancelled the order before payment (assuming a payment was forthcoming) was made .

That's the last I heard of it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Google Maps is Fun!!

I recently looked up the address where my family lived when I was born. It's still a slum!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You can use the guest checkout and enter whatever address you want. In the end all that is relevant is that you are shipping to the address associated with the payment and you follow signature confirmation requirements as mandated by paypal's UA.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

If I choose to ship to an Unconfirmed ADDRESS if for some reason I have to refund the buyer for example a lost package can't I still recover lost money from the postal service if I have included insurance coverage. If the answer is yes I can recover my money through postal insurance what is the rusk shipping to unconfirmed addresses?
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@winner188 wrote:
If I choose to ship to an Unconfirmed ADDRESS if for some reason I have to refund the buyer for example a lost package can't I still recover lost money from the postal service if I have included insurance coverage. If the answer is yes I can recover my money through postal insurance what is the rusk shipping to unconfirmed addresses?

Assuming you have insurance (not all Canada Post services include insurance, but there is always the option of 3rd party insurance), you can make a claim for non-receipt, keeping in mind their stipulations for when/how a claim can be filed. Unless you have additional evidence suggesting possible fraud (ie buyer is registered in UK but shipping to Hungary) then there is no more risk than any other transaction. You do not have access to the buyer's billing information, only paypal does, so there is little you can do in terms of due diligence to detect fraud, as a retailer normally would when processing a credit card payment for example. This is why paypal stipulates you ship to the address associated with the payment and why signature confirmation is required over a given transaction value. In short, the risk is essentially the same as any other transaction.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thank you . Well said. I understand
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hi Mcc, just a note, a good friend of mine has been in a new location for over a year, however when I google mapped his address, it also showed an empty field.... before they built their house - so the google pictures are only as good as whenever the last time the "photocar" went by....

Hmm I'm making good use of the edit function XE told me about..... I was looking at the static picture, I didn't use the satellite or whatever zoom in, theoretically it would be newer, I'll have to go check that out sometime..... perhaps that is what you looked at instead...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi Mcc, just a note, a good friend of mine has been in a new location for over a year, however when I google mapped his address, it also showed an empty field.... before they built their house - so the google pictures are only as good as whenever the last time the "photocar" went by....

Hmm I'm making good use of the edit function XE told me about..... I was looking at the static picture, I didn't use the satellite or whatever zoom in, theoretically it would be newer, I'll have to go check that out sometime..... perhaps that is what you looked at instead...

I'm sorry, what did I tell you about again? Smiley Very Happy

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply