AStronomical Shipping increase from China

Hi everyone,

As a buyer i have noticed lately that Chinese sellers have really jacked their shipping rates to Canada. Also, this spring i have had a record number of items not show up in the mail or have been cancelled outright by the seller.

Here is what one seller wrote, "Sorry to tell you that since the shipment was suspended due to the Canadian Post Office, the package could not be sent, and the order could only be cancelled and refunded, sorry for any trouble caused to you."

Any idea what the heck is going on?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: AStronomical Shipping increase from China

Here is an actual item that i would like to purchase ...

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.17.04 AM.jpg

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Back in May, eBay.CN told mainland Chinese sellers not to use China Post (cheap) to ship to Canada. And that they should use other couriers (expensive) for shipping to Canada.

The restriction has supposedly been listed, but I can understand Sellers not wanting to take the risk of using China Post services for Canada.

Check to see what price the shipping is to the USA. If  that shipping is inexpensive, you could rent a mailbox on the USA side or find a freight forwarder that can receive and send to Canada.

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Dennis has identified the main reason for the newly inflated shipping charges, but there is another background reason.

For decades Western countries were complaining at the Universal Postal Union conventions that China Post was clinging to their "developing nation" status which gave them (and Mali and Paraguay and Fiji etc) lower rates when their shipments were delivered by other postal systems.

The UPU is the reason you can send a Christmas card to your nana in Yorkshire, or a contract to a prospective client in Mumbai.

In September 2016, China Post gave in and we are seeing the beginnings of a correction in the cost of shipping from China.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I would try finding that product on AliX, I've ordered four times in the last few weeks and two of my orders have already gone through customs and should be here soon.

Shipping is reasonable, and many options. Sadly, eBay is fragmented and situations like this are common. One advantage of AliX is that competition is harsh so there is always someone that will have a good price etc. Sellers that underperform will eventually disappear or get better.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

A very, very, very high price for shipping to Canada  will say to potential Canadian buyers....

Do NOT buy from me.....

Message 6 of 6
latest reply