Address Validation

In the event that a user accidentally enters incorrect address information in their account settings or during the checkout process, eBay will provide an automated notification with a suggested address.

This could be a problemfor buyers who have mailbox addresses.

Many sellers will not ship tomailboxes ,usually because they have copied someone who uses courier shipping.

Mailboxes are the most secure address possible.Much safer than porchdrops.

To get around this instead of the (proper)

Joe Smith-Tremblay

PO Box 123, StationA

Main St,Anytown NS

K1A 0A6

they might use:

Joe Smith-Tremblay

Unit 123,  345 Main St.

Anytown NS

K1A 0A6

Correcting the (disguised) address can mean losing the opportunity to buy.

I hope the Validation remains an option, and not forced.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Address Validation

@reallynicestamps wrote:

In the event that a user accidentally enters incorrect address information in their account settings or during the checkout process, eBay will provide an automated notification with a suggested address.

This could be a problemfor buyers who have mailbox addresses.

Many sellers will not ship tomailboxes ,usually because they have copied someone who uses courier shipping.

Mailboxes are the most secure address possible.Much safer than porchdrops.

To get around this instead of the (proper)

Joe Smith-Tremblay

PO Box 123, StationA

Main St,Anytown NS

K1A 0A6

they might use:

Joe Smith-Tremblay

Unit 123,  345 Main St.

Anytown NS

K1A 0A6

Correcting the (disguised) address can mean losing the opportunity to buy.

I hope the Validation remains an option, and not forced.

As long as address is valid and correct..."should" be all good. Spoke to a seller today that got a sale. Name attached to address was "My Tablet". That could be a problem if for example signature was required or got carded for pickup. Or would bringing in their laptop be valid proof. (Tongue in cheek)

-Lotz

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Address Validation

As a seller, any time I have received a questionable name/address I have contacted the buyer for confirmation of full & complete name/address information.Most buyers oblige and respond quickly. (I suppose there are those that don't and that could be problematic)

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Address Validation

@mrdutch1001 

I suggested that to the seller. Unfortunately(unsure why) many sellers are nervous to contact buyers directly. I would rather be certain than have it returned. Majority have always appreciated the extra effort to confirm. And why for addresses it is always good to google first whenever you are in doubt.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Address Validation

When I was  a bank teller (a teller with dysnumeria,that went well) we could accept cheques made out incorrectly by asking for a double signature.

Like: My Tablet/John Smythe.

Most "signature" confirmations for deliveries are any adult at the address. The problem would come up at the PO counter. 

But the name would be less of a problem than the actual address-- and my concern is the paranoid US seller who won't ship to PO boxes.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Address Validation

@reallynicestamps 

It's interesting (for lack of a better word) how verification has progressed over the last 40/50 years. From signing & verifying signatures(and even phoning for approval), several pieces of ID required, passwords to pin codes, scratch an x as confirmation you've gotten your stuff, tap, swipe/scan your phone and now the latest and greatest, drop and dash and take a photo of a house with the parcel. I probably missed a bunch!! Are we really  better or worse off? All to save a few seconds in our busy lives.

-Lotz

I'm even old enough to remember, hey I know them...it's good!! Remember when you knew all your customers by first and last name? (As for the dysnumeria, bet you still could do math in your head or all this time did you just scream out Alexa..How much is...Hoping she would answer? Oopsie, wasn't invented yet!! Bad me!!!) 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Address Validation

No, they lost me after addition and subtraction, and even then I had to "bundle" the numbers into 5s and10s. In Grade Eight I was tested at second year universty reading comprehension and Grade Four arthmetic. It's like dyslexia, but with numbers.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply