Another Global Shipping Problem

Global leaves a lot to be desired .

Extra Charges / Longer Waits

Now the tracking does not update . Item has been in transit for 14 days with no update . 

I encourage USA sellers to ship directly to Canada . I no longer will buy from sellers using Global , USPS shipped direct has been arriving in a week to ten days , with global you are looking at upwards of 30 days .

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Another Global Shipping Problem

Some assorted copypasta from previous answers to the same complaint.

(Not necessarily written by me)

——————————————————————————————————
Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery 

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided... 

GSP
On the listing itself, you will see the words
No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more
This indicates that the seller has chosen to use the GSP, which is a Seller Protection.
On dotCOM, if you are shopping there, you will see
International Priority Shipping to Canada  via the Global Shipping Program

While you can ask if the seller would consider shipping by USPS First Class International Package, which also offers the tracking the seller wants, most will not agree.
If they do, keep in mind that you will still be charged applicable duty (your duty-free allowance from the USA is $150) and sales taxes (tax-free allowance is $40) plus a $9.95 service/customs brokerage fee by Canada Post. Since this has to be collected from you before the package is handed over, that usually means the carrier will leave a Notice and you can pay import and service fees at the PO counter, instead of in advance as with the GSP.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@rockitlloyd wrote:

Now the tracking does not update . Item has been in transit for 14 days with no update . 

I encourage USA sellers to ship directly to Canada . I no longer will buy from sellers using Global , USPS shipped direct has been arriving in a week to ten days , with global you are looking at upwards of 30 days .

@rockitlloyd 

Hello, devon@ebay 

Could you(eBay) please address. Concerns with the GSP program etc roll in her constantly and have for years. I understand with the new program other couriers "may" be used. Unfortunately from a buyers perspective they(the buyer) needs to know who will be handling a parcel last mile before they pay. Not after. Personally, I stopped buying anything using GSP 4/5 years ago. The added costs/slowness/tracking issues were not worth the aggravation. Reason behind my previous post to unselect as an option from US sellers(this months Q & A). Making these programs the go to for US sellers is not helping Canadian eBay buyers confidence.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Global shipping is not very good system.I had an item arrive 400 miles from me,but no one could figure out how to get it to me? Why did i pay extra for such a **bleep**py situation.My item never arrived,posted case and was refunded the money for the purchase but i still never got my item through this system.Took more than a month to solve. If posted through US Postal system my item would arrived with 99.999% satisfaction.

I will never purchase from a seller using this system,especially a usa seller.So Global Shipping System sucks. Ebay tries everything to suck a buck from our pockets for less service. Hautaviita.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I agree that the GSP was designed for Seller Protection without any thought about the end customer.

But there is no reason to think that the buyer pays extra for the "service". The shipping costs of the GSP include Canadian duty and sales tax, which are due in any case, and a ~$5USD service charge which is lower even than Canada Post's charge of $9.95.

Granted that CBSA and Canada Post sensibly were ignoring the duty-free and tax-free allowances which were a ridiculous $20Cdn until 2020 for US imports, which meant that the GSP which,like all couriers,could not ignore those fees. 

The latest version of NAFTA* raised those allowances to $150 duty-free and $40 tax-free, which actually stopped most of the complaints about the GSP.

* The $20 allowances remain for the rest of the world,but only the USA and the UK had enough xenophobic sellers to make the GSP implementation worth eBay's while, so the CBSA continues to ignore those imported through the postal system.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@rockitlloyd wrote:

eBay is actually phasing out the Global Shipping Program and replacing it with a new international shipping scheme that promises a lot to sellers in terms of perks and protections. If this new program works well for them, it’s likely that you’re not going to find many US sellers willing to ship directly to Canada in the future.

For what it’s worth, I came to the conclusion a while back that we buyers have been oversold on the value of tracking. It doesn’t make shipments arrive more quickly or safely and knowing where an item was last scanned doesn’t give me any more control over the shipment. It’s easier for me just to keep an eye on the last estimated delivery date and not get too worried about my item’s whereabouts until a few days before the earliest estimated delivery date. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But there is no reason to think that the buyer pays extra for the "service". The shipping costs of the GSP include Canadian duty and sales tax, which are due in any case, and a ~$5USD service charge which is lower even than Canada Post's charge of $9.95.

The shipping costs are actually separate from the tax and duty charges, which are factored into the “import charges” on the listing.

What you’re probably thinking of is that the shipping charges of an item forwarded through the GSP are the sum of the seller’s charge for shipping to Kentucky and the charge the GSP bot comes up with for shipping the item from Kentucky to its international destination. If the seller provides the bot adequate information on the nature of the item and its shipping weight and dimensions, the GSP’s shipping charges are often competitive with USPS’s Priority (parcel post) rates to Canada. Unfortunately, not all sellers provide this information or else they ship to Kentucky by pricier means, which boosts the overall shipping charge.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@rockitlloyd wrote:

@rockitlloyd 

Hello, devon@ebay 

Could you(eBay) please address. Concerns with the GSP program etc roll in her constantly and have for years. I understand with the new program other couriers "may" be used. Unfortunately from a buyers perspective they(the buyer) needs to know who will be handling a parcel last mile before they pay. Not after. Personally, I stopped buying anything using GSP 4/5 years ago. The added costs/slowness/tracking issues were not worth the aggravation. Reason behind my previous post to unselect as an option from US sellers(this months Q & A). Making these programs the go to for US sellers is not helping Canadian eBay buyers confidence.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I can make sure to have this feedback passed along to our Shipping Team as well as our Canadian Team. I know as the new international shipping program is being rolled out the Shipping Team is looking at everything that goes into and are making changes to help improve the overall process for both the buyer and seller. As updates are made available I will be sure to update you and any seller that has questions on this process. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Global Shipping screwed me over. The seller was in the UK and sent several packages to the GSP. They mislabeled my item with another person’s. He got my stuff and I got his. What I got was considerably more expensive and rare. When I contacted the seller about the issue, he talked to the other buyer and he was like too bad. EBay issued me a refund but I’m hoping for some form of compensation. Right now, I’m only getting A.I. Bots responding to my concerns. Should I just be thankful I got my refund and move on or do I continue to press for some sort of compensation?
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Global Shipping is being phased out in favour of eBay International Shipping, but that may not affect UK shipments yet.

With both programs, once the shipment reaches the forwarder (GSP or eIS) the seller's responsibility ends.

Since you did not get what you ordered, due to the error at the forwarder, you were refunded.

The Money Back Guarantee is just that , a MONEY back guarantee.

Since the other buyer was also refunded, he seems to be happy with his payment plus the unexpected bonus of your order, which he would not (at least with the GSP) be required to return.

And I'm afraid that is your only choice too.

Your payment was refunded, and you were not required to return the (more valuable) shipment.

This can be more than annoying for collectors who searched for The Perfect Thing, only to be disappointed.

But the bad guy here, isn't eBay or the forwarder, who took financial responsibility for the error, but the other buyer who is not cooperating with an exchange of goods.

There are human reps, well trained, who respond to the social media Chats.  While I doubt you will get more than sympathy from them, they can be reached at:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

You really don't want to waste time talking to them.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I agree with @reallynicestamps' post, @daisypicker1.  I don't think you're going to get anything more from eBay but sympathy.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong or maybe you flubbed that part of the story, but it reads as though the item you received is more valuable than the one you purchased.  You don't have to return it, and you still got your money returned to you.  The other item is your compensation.  If you don't want it and the buyer doesn't want it, sell, donate or gift it as your circumstances and conscience dictate.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply