Bidding higher on a item.. GSP shipping goes up as well

Ive seen this before .. I bid on a item.. 16.00 to ship global shipping..  I enter a bid a little higher.. the shipping goes up to 24.00  Not including the import fee which does not show the amount..  I get out bid watching the shipping amount.. up to 25.00.. I go to enter another bid.. 26.75.. still no import fee showing.. 

why does the shipping amount increase? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You do not mention the item price, a vital piece of information, but it is probable that the import charges are being included in the shipping cost despite there being a separate charge listed (as 0) for that cost.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You are bidding on an item whose seller uses the Global Shipping Program. 

Ebay has been running experiments where sometimes the rising import fee is adding to postage as opposed to 'import fees' to see how buyers react to that. Pitney Bowes collects the same amount of money but it's well-known that Canadian buyers avoid 'import fees' on those GSP listings and ebay was trying to see if adding that cost to shipping would make the sale more palatable. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I bid on a item..

It's an auction.

I enter a bid a little higher.. the shipping goes up

It's not 'shipping' it is import fees.

Import fees are based on the value of the item (duty and sales tax are both percentages)

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm pretty much echoing what everybody else has said here.

There's no such thing as a GSP item with no import charges, even for really inexpensive items.  If there's no line for import charges showing up on a listing, those charges have been added to the shipping charge instead.

eBay has (probably correctly) figured out that the component of the GSP that upsets Canadians the most is the "import charges", largely because many users don't understand why or how they're charged.  eBay and Pitney Bowes are experimenting with tweaking with this as a result.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

No... it was the shipping amount increasing. I knows its a auction.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You were looking at a GSP item where import fees were rolled into the postage cost instead of standing alone.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Looking at both rise in rate.. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Midfifties, I'm confused. You said in your original post that no import fee showed up on the listing page.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply