Botched up the return process, am I out of my money?

I bought a camera but the seller sent me the wrong one. They agreed by message to a return. Now here is where dumb me screwed up. I've never done a return before so I was unaware of the process and rushed everything. 

I submitted the return request and immediantly went out and shipped the item back to them without using an ebay label. Now the seller has gone cold and has not replied to my messages (after being quick to reply before) so I'm afraid I screwed up and they know it and have taken my money and the item. It was a small seller. They didn't even accept the return request yet by the way, so I can't even upload a tracking number to prove I shipped it back...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Did you use a service with tracking to send the item back?   When you opened the return did you say that you were returning because the wrong night item was sent?  

If your answer was yes to both questions and if it has been less than 30 days since you opened the return, you can ask ebay to step in.  eBay will then likely tell you to return the item so you then enter the tracking number in the return. If tracking shows the item was delivered back to the seller you should be refunded within 2 days after delivery.

If it’s  past 30 days since you opened the return and you paid through Paypal and you have tracking, you can open a not as described claim through PP for up to 180 days after the purchase.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Cameras are fairly heavy and bulky, so you used a parcel rate.

Any domestic parcel service is tracked, so you are good if you Dispute through either eBay or Paypal.

When you show that the camera is back with the seller, he will be forced to refund you.

You will not be refunded the cost of the return shipping. Sorry.

If your seller is in the USA, and you used Small Packet USA for shipping, your refund is in the hands of the seller.

That service is not tracked and you need to prove delivery (not shipping , delivery) to get assistance with the refund.

The service you needed is Tracked Packet USA which runs $5-$10 more than Small Packet. You are paying for the tracking.

If the seller is overseas, the cost differential between Small Packet and Tracked Packet is $30-$40.

It can be too expensive to follow up on a Dispute, when you have to pay for return shipping.

EBay insists the Seller pay for it when he caused the problem (wrong item, broken, used not new, etc) but not when the buyer decides against it (poor fit, described as blue but you wanted teal and it is turquoise, etc).

Paypal always insists that the Buyer pay for return shipping. To offset this they allow 180 days from payment for a Dispute.

So.

Check again that you have no Proof of Delivery.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal.page

If you do, but the 30 day deadline has passed for an eBay Dispute, go to your Paypal account and open a Dispute there.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

You can skip the suggestion that you Contact the Seller. You've already tried that.

And you want your MONEY back, not a replacement. Not even the camera you originally bought.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@killuazoldyck

By the way, sellers can refuse returns, but they cannot refuse REFUNDS.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply