Buyer Beware! Watch out for fake USB drives on eBay!

Hello, everyone...

Just a heads-up that there are a number of devious sellers here on eBay selling fake USB drives!

Most of these sellers are from Asia (notably from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc). They will list USB drives en masse, either auction-style or fixed price, and they appear to be private listings. Drive capacities range from 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 MB, and other "unusual" capacities such as 120 GB, 360 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB, etc are not uncommon.

When you plug the drive into your computer, it may display as advertised. A 32 GB drive, like the ones I recently purchased, has been shown to have 31.2 GB (32,000 MB) free space. Looks promising, but it's not. Putting aside the fact that a genuine 32 GB drive has 32 x 1,024 x 1,024 x 1,024 bytes = c. 29.8 GB, you can fill it full of data and it would not hold the data. Both of my drives were really about 7 GB; anything and everything after that would be corrupted.

Why, then, does it show 31.2 GB capacity? The reason is very simple. The sellers would take a low-grade flash drive and then modify it so the controller lies to your computer when you plug it in. They can take a 1 GB drive (or whatever they happen to have), inflate the capacity to whatever they want, and then pass it off as the real thing. In this case, only the first 1 GB is good; everything after the 1 GB is sure to be corrupt. Once it's corrupted, it's almost guaranteed you won't ever read those files again!

It is important that, as buyers, it is imperative that we always check all of our flash drives for authenticity prior to using it to store any meaningful data or for any useful purpose. I like to use H2testw 1.4 for this purpose. It's freeware, easily found online, and what it does is WRITE the whole drive of test data and then VERIFY the integrity of the data. As a plus, it shows you the elapsed time, remaining time, write and read speeds, and an analysis of the test (sectors OK, sectors corrupt, etc).

I have uncovered at least two sellers who have engaged in this practice and, like my negative Feedback, other buyers have fallen into the same trap. Please be aware of this!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's good that you're posting for buyers to be aware of this, but myself and many more much more experienced posters than I ALWAYS say that buying any kind of electronics from Asia is a NO NO.  Problems, problems.  Other items I've ordered from there mostly have been fine but no way would I consider any kind of electronics.  Plugging anything into your computer from there can really mess up your whole operating system too.  Flash Drives at my local drug store are very inexpensive.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buying electronics from Asia is a gamble. Sometimes you get good items for cheap (some of the LED bulbs, for example, appear to go for pretty decent prices; Feedback from buyers tend to show that some of those sellers are very reputable indeed), but other times it's just knock-offs.

I've heard all about the whole "Made in China" problem; it's come to a point that "Made in China" has become a pervasive brand that suggests inferior products (and my buying experience has held true to that). Even amongst the Chinese, there has been similar complaints (e.g., Taobao, the "Chinese eBay", has a lot of complaints thrown around about knock-off items being sold as the real thing). As for eBay, it's great that buyers are protected in case anything bad happens.

Other than that, I've had so many problems where items simply fail to arrive for months on end. Be it counterfeit items, non-working items, or never-received items, sellers may ask if you want it re-sent or refunded. ALWAYS request a refund! Very important! If you ask them to re-send, they could either: 1) re-send as requested, only to have the same problem (never received, or faulty item), or 2) claim the item has been sent (but they never do, and there's no proof, so they scam the system). In either case, you'll be waiting for ages and the 45-day Resolution Center period would be expired a long time ago (some sellers know this and use it to facilitate their scams). So, always ask for a refund and, if they don't, file a claim while you still have time.

If you receive a fake item, and PayPal asks you to send the item back, DO NOT DO IT! I'm sure it's against the law to traffic fake items through the mail, whether you're selling it or not. There's also no certainty the return address is correct, too, and besides, you'll spend more time and money packing and shipping than the item is worth. So you lose out either way.

Check out SOSFakeFlash for a myriad of articles about fake flash drives. The issue is over 10 years old and, here in 2014, it's still going on unless we take positive action to stop it. Demand a refund. Report the listing. Leave negative Feedback. Spread the word.

On a side note, I'm lovin' that Audrey Hepburn picture... miss the days where the long cigarette holders were in style. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was a good movie, I'm sure you would concur. 🙂

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Yes, I'm a little obsessed with Audrey Hepburn to say the least - she will always be my fashion icon together with her work with Unicef, when it wasn't the "in" thing to do for celebs and her beautiful published quotes.   One of my very fave pictures of her which was taken circa 1956  I have in a large frame - obsessed? a little!

Audrey 1956.jpg

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@2011limey1 wrote:

It's good that you're posting for buyers to be aware of this, but myself and many more much more experienced posters than I ALWAYS say that buying any kind of electronics from Asia is a NO NO.  Problems, problems.  Other items I've ordered from there mostly have been fine but no way would I consider any kind of electronics.  Plugging anything into your computer from there can really mess up your whole operating system too.  Flash Drives at my local drug store are very inexpensive.

much more experienced posters know not to make grandiose all encompassing statements that have no merit. 

Buying any kind of electronics from Asia is a no no???????? Just where do you think the majority of electronics are made? I will give you a hint. It rhymes with MAYSIA, and HINA, and IWAN. 

Oh, but you mean you would rather pay more for the exact same item, but buy it from a local seller, or better yet, go down to your local drug store and pay even more. 

I can tell you I have bought thousands of electronic items with very close to ZERO issues. 

First, you are dead wrong. The vast majority of sellers are honest and sell an honest product. The people who come here to complain do no homework whatsoever, buy the cheapest product with the biggest promises and then are so upset 'they were taken advantage of'. Of course, they were happy as can be when they thought they were getting a $700 iphone for $49. 

But it's true, the further you move away from the comfort of your local store and move to the web, you can save more, but you lose that safety net. The answer is to do your homework. 

For SD cars, and USB flash drives, I can go to my local internet classifieds and see 32GB and 64GB for far cheaper than they should be. I don't need to go to China. There are plenty of bad sellers here. Probably about the same as from China. 

Here's some real helpful hints about buying from China and not some xenophobic stereotypical kneejerk response. 

1. Know the value of the product you are buying. Yes, it's cheaper in China, but the days of a $100 item being sold for $400 are pretty much over. Eg. Cellphones used to have ridiculous mark ups locally. Now not so much. Sure Apple still has a premium, but other top tier phones such as the Nexus 5 have a much more modest markup of 30-50%(depending on who's costs you believe). While China has much lower labour rates, it still costs a lot. You cannot buy a Nexus 5 phone for 50% off the retail price here.  

2. Take your blinders off. There is no such thing as Chinese manufacturers. There are manufacturers in China, but they are all different, all competing, all working. They don't have 1 business model of sell the cheapest junk at the lowest price, cutting all corners in order to make a buck. This is an urban legend, a myth. Some are poor, some good, some great, and yes, there are technology leading, quality leading manufacturers in China.  There are good brand names in China. Learn some of them and buy in confidence.

3. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. OK, so you can't break away from all things in China should be dirt cheap, then don't, but be smart about it. Try not comparing to what you pay here, but compare to other Chinese manufacturers. If 9 out of 10 are selling the same product for $100 and the 10th sells for $10, you have a problem and likely they are not selling the same item, or it's fake, broken, a duck...etc. 

4. If you need the safety net a local seller provides, that's fine, but you will pay for it.  Then again, don't just jump blindly into buying a product. Ebay does have reseller ratings. That's a start, but look to forums and online information about the product and the manufacturer from the thousands of people who have purchased before you. You will easily find who are the good brand names and who are not. 

5. Don't listen to anyone who says 'don't buy anything from China'. They have no idea what they are talking about. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Take a chill pill.......OF COURSE I know that most electronics are made in China - My electronics are mostly Toshiba, made in Japan and/or Taiwan.  If you read the Boards all the time you would see how many people moan about poor quality small electronics from China.  I am NOT brushing that area with a broad  stroke, I order from there all the time, just not electronics, due to reading the Boards.  When I buy anything at all from that area I know I'm going to keep it period.  Just too expensive to return.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Forgot to mention that the point of buying something like Flash Drives from my local store is the fact I can WALK 3 blocks to return/exchange - no questions asked.Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@2011limey1 wrote:

Take a chill pill.......OF COURSE I know that most electronics are made in China - My electronics are mostly Toshiba, made in Japan and/or Taiwan.  If you read the Boards all the time you would see how many people moan about poor quality small electronics from China.  I am NOT brushing that area with a broad  stroke, I order from there all the time, just not electronics, due to reading the Boards.  When I buy anything at all from that area I know I'm going to keep it period.  Just too expensive to return.

actually, I said most electronics are made in ASIA. 

Just some clarification. It's ok to back peddle 🙂

You didn't say not to buy electronics from China but not to buy any electronics from ASIA. That's a pretty broad stroke.  

There are literally hundreds of millions if not billions of electronic items coming from Asia each year.  Reading the boards about  people who naively buy $500 items for $29 and then complain about poor quality and how they were ripped off is not an accurate reflection of reality at all.

PS. Toshiba 'makes' very few items if any at all. In fact for most 'toshiba' items they are just rebranded items made in.........China. So you have a trust with a brand name, that's fine. but don't kid yourself. It's the same stuff made from the same manufacturers, only you pay more for it. It is easy with a bit of work to find the same quality or better for less money by buying direct from a quality Chinese or Asian manufacturer. 

The percentage of items coming from Japan is small relative to the rest of Asia, and if you include the components I think you will find the bulk of a made in Japan item is actually made from chinese components, just as a pineapple comes from the dominican republic but after Costco cuts it up, it's "made in canada" 

The only point I will agree with is to be wary of buying flash memory from anyone except an authorized dealer, no matter where you are buying from. They are just too easy to counterfeit by having them read a higher capacity than they actually are. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I re read my post above and I did sidetrack to China, but the points are still valid
Message 9 of 9
latest reply