Buying Gas mask

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some insight on a recent situation.

I live in Eastern Canada and am an avid collector of military history. I ordered an US M1A2-1-1 noncombatant gas mask from a seller in the states.

All was well until the package hit Erlanger, Kentucky where the package was disposed of for apparently being "restricted".

I have ordered gas masks and similar items before but never before had a package tossed away.  A refund was given but that isn't exactly my concern. I am just curious as to why this item was discarded and would I ever have a chance of having another one shipped to my country?

Any info would be great.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Buying Gas mask

You may be able to purchase another one if is sent directly by the seller rather than through the global shipping program.  I have no idea if that type of thing is restricted by our government but the GSP often restricts items that 'might' be restricted versus items that 'are' restricted.

For example, some types of wood can't be exported so the GSP often restricts guitars regardless of the type of wood.  I've heard that sometimes they restrict certain types of older radios, but other times they don't. So it isn't always consistent.

They don't actually throw out the item, they have someone resell it for them for the same price that you paid but it is only shipped domestically. If you see it on ebay you might be able to repurchase it and have it sent to a reshipper that isn't associated with eBay or Pitney Bowes.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Buying Gas mask

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you see it on eBay you might be able to repurchase it and have it sent to a reshipper that isn't associated with eBay or Pitney Bowes.

For what it's worth, MyUS (a very established package forwarder) won't touch gas masks; they fall under its list of prohibited "Firearms, Weaponry & Military/Tactical Equipment".

https://www.myus.com/benefits/shipping/customs-help/restrictions/

Message 3 of 3
latest reply