Buying from UK, but Borders are Closed

Hello,

So I purchased a high value item on eBay from a UK seller recently. The seller shipped it via DHL about a week ago.

The package has been stuck in Customs this entire time and I just learned from the seller that DHL is having logistics problems. They were going to ship the item to a EU country first, then fly it to Canada. Apparently, they can't do that anymore because the border is closed due to Covid.

So the seller presented 2 options for me. We could wait until the border opens and then DHL does its thing. But we have no idea when that will be and I'm not really happy to wait an unknown amount of time. Or he could get it returned from DHL and ship it via ParcelForce instead. He said they'd ship it directly from UK to Canada, so there'd be no issues. 

So I'm wondering if there are any issues with this transaction concerning eBay protection. Am I still okay if I opt to try ParcelForce?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buying from UK, but Borders are Closed

All passenger flights from the UK to Canada are banned for now. Are they still allowing freight only flights?

If this is something that you can find in the future I would ask for a refund now.  It just sounds way too complicated and even if it is possible to have it sent directly from the UK with Parcelforce, who knows if things will change in the next day or two.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Unfortunately, the item is quite rare and difficult to come by. So I'm thinking of pushing ahead and trying this different courier despite the obstacles. Just wanted to know if there's any issues doing so.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Just a late-night guess with little thought behind it, but I’d say that any issues with eBay protection would be on the seller’s side, as the onus would be on him to update the tracking information to reflect the new carrier and tracking number, and I’m not sure that’s possible. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

EBay buyer protection (the Money Back Guarantee) allows Disputes for 30 days from the last estimated date for Delivery.

However, you are also covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection which started with your payment, as is good for 180 days.

And of course, if you back your PP account with a credit card, there is some sort of chargeback provision.

The EU border closure is I believe only a few days. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55391289

but includes "lorries and ferries"  which means goods as well as people are currently restricted.

However:

"Mr Shapps told BBC Breakfast that Covid-19 vaccine supplies - which come from Belgium - would not be affected by travel bans, as they come to the UK via unaccompanied containers.

Unaccompanied freight, such as containers or lorry trailers on their own, can still be transported."

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Just a late-night guess with little thought behind it, but I’d say that any issues with eBay protection would be on the seller’s side, as the onus would be on him to update the tracking information to reflect the new carrier and tracking number, and I’m not sure that’s possible. Anyone have thoughts on this?

@professor_elm 

If a seller updates the tracking, for example a week after the fact, it will affect the shipment(processed) date. Reason I know this is because I updated one awhile back due to a typo in the manual tracking I added a originally. This shipment was considered as late based on my standard 1 day handling charge. If seller spoke to CS they "might" be able to remove the inaccurate TSR but no guarantees.

-Lotz

tyler@ebay    - Can you confirm if this is accurate information please?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If they updated the shipping information on ebay then you shouldn't have any problems as the new info will overwrite the old info.  If they didn't update it and just gave you the new info,  it's possible the package would show as delivered when the seller got it back. That would mean that if you did need to file an item not received claim, you would probably have to do it over the phone so that they could see that the actual delivery address wasn't where it was delivered. If you did it online a bot would probably just see the  'delivered' and close  the case.   It would be in the seller's best interest though to update the information on ebay so I don't see this as a huge concern, just something to know about.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

@professor_elm 

If a seller updates the tracking, for example a week after the fact, it will affect the shipment(processed) date. Reason I know this is because I updated one awhile back due to a typo in the manual tracking I added a originally. This shipment was considered as late based on my standard 1 day handling charge. If seller spoke to CS they "might" be able to remove the inaccurate TSR but no guarantees.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - yes, correcting or re-uploading a tracking number to a transaction will reset the 'tracking uploaded' date which could impact tracking metrics. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

@professor_elm 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - yes, correcting or re-uploading a tracking number to a transaction will reset the 'tracking uploaded' date which could impact tracking metrics. Thanks!

Thanks. Would CS be able to undo this and correct?

-Lotz

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

as a buyer, you are always protected. this is a force majeure situation that puts UK sellers in a horrible position. Imagine all the refunds they are having to process from Canadian buyers right now. On Amazon.ca, in a number of categories probably 75% of sellers are in the UK.

Yes, its a hard to find item, but you have to weigh your desire to have this in your hot little hands with the fact that the country that has it has shut down sending all mail to Canada, with this very complicated logistical situation being complicated even more with a hard Brexit literally on their doorstep, stuff is not getting in to the country with any ease (the German government has taken to using Lufthansa planes to fly food to England right now given what's going on - and, yes, its the UK Im talking about, not rural wartorn northern Ethiopia) and that this item may not surface for a long time, and certainly way past any promise given by eBay. If it was me, I would pass on it, as ordering from the UK as I see it for the foreseeable future is 100% off limits for Canadian customers.

On a sidebar I really think given world circumstances ebay needs to back off any form of delivery guarantee timelines for the foreseeable future. Its creating unnecessary headaches for me as a seller and it creates false expectations for buyers, and, it sets me up for having to take the flak for when stuff isn't arriving on time all the while a public health calamity stands potentially several weeks at any time away from caving in entire economies, let alone delaying a shipment. There's too much whistling past the graveyard going on about this issue. Those of us not in the UK are at the edge of the cliff, and nobody seems to have envisioned a scenario to deal with what happens if we start going over, as is happening right now with the UK.

If Canada Post is telling me when I go to ship my items "we can't guarantee delivery timeline for any of our services" then ebay shouldn't be promising the customer this either, unless they want to be the ones going out of pocket when the seller needs to refund because a crankypants customer didn't get his lolly by the date ebay said he would. I am handling these messages as diplomatically as I can, but I really do not like being set up like this. Ebay needs to be directly addressing these issues with buyers on a site wide scale by changing their policies around shipping timelines, not leaving me to deal with it, the guy holding the bag for the loss if something goes wrong.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

my understanding is that freight is still happening. This was from an article on either CBC or the Guardian, I cant remember which one.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Radio One was reporting this morning that there are some 4000 trucks at Dover, unable to leave.

France is being firm about not allowing anyone, including truckers, in from the UK.

Britain has been importing food for centuries. That was one reason for the Irish Famine, the tenants were required to grow wheat for England and it was all exported.

And we all are aware of how the Empire was sending food at great danger and expense during WWII.

It sounds as if the UK is accepting imports, but not exports.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply