Buying from the U.S.

sooperb
Community Member

I won't buy from the US strictly for their shipping prices. I can order something from China for eg. an item for $10.00 CAD + free shipping, that crosses an ocean, then crosses the U.S. and then across the border to Canada.

If I order that same item from the U.S. it starts with an inflated price and charges ridiculous shipping. $14.00 USD + $24.00 to $42.00 USD shipping. To ONLY cross the border that was free if it originated from another country for $38.00 to $56.00 USD. PLUS exchange to

$50.32 to $74.16 CAD (today's exchange rate) from the U.S.

$10.00 CAD Total from China, through U.S.

Not a tough decision to make here.

When I see it and I think it has to be a joke, but, its not. Pick any random item and check yourself. These costs alone keep me from ever pushing the buy button from the US. This is on purpose, so, it seems to me they don't want to sell to Canadians. The inflated price isn't so bad, since, it offsets the wait from China. But, there is no excuse for their cost of delivery. I'll wait the longer shipping time, while my item passes FREEly through the U.S. It is their loss.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Buying from the U.S.

It's been long documented that US Sellers don't always want to ship outside the Continental US. Those that do often use expensive tracked services, probably as a deterrent to buyers that would buy then claim no delivery.

Quality of items can be an issue from China, or items that simply never get mailed. I only buy certian items from China. Things like simple cables, adapters and watch straps. These can be costly here in Canada.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Buying from the U.S.

@sooperb wrote:

I won't buy from the US strictly for their shipping prices. I can order something from China for eg. an item for $10.00 CAD + free shipping, that crosses an ocean, then crosses the U.S. and then across the border to Canada.

Items with cheap shipping from China are tossed on to a container ship and then travel across the ocean directly to Canada (BC has two major container ports -- Vancouver & Prince Rupert).

-..-

Message 3 of 3
latest reply