CANADA - BOYCOTT GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM

I would encourage all Canadians and anyone else importing an item on ebay to boycott the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping program (GSP),
This can be done by contacting the seller that you are interested but wish the item to be shipped USPS, the contact should be made before bidding.
The latest example for me was a $10.00 US item, the shipping and brokerage is listed at US$17.50, the item can fit inside a small padded or regular envelope, so shipping should be minimal, also on items less than CAN$20.00 there is no import fee needed.
I called eBay and asked to speak to someone about the shipping pricing structure, which is outrageous.
eBay makes millions of dollars on these collected fees, NONE of which are paid to any government body for duties or tariffs. They go straight to the profit margin.

CANADA CUSTOMS SELDOM CHARGES DUTIES OR TARIFFS ON ITEMS LESS THAN $100 (or more).

PLEASE SHARE AN

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

"Omit the PST. "

On expensive items, one living in BC, SK, MB or QC may want to do some calculations and see if there is real tax saving using GSP where PST is not charged while it may be charged using USPS transferred to Canada Post!

Message 21 of 66
latest reply

Hi Paul.

Further to your comment earlier "Pitney Bowes DOES NOT remit the impot fees they collect to Rev Canada or CBSA from eBay." I asked eBay staff today on the Board Hour session.

Q - So the question today requires a simple YES or NO.  Does Pitney Bowes and/or its agents actually collect and remit the GST/HST (and duty if applicable) collected from Canadian buyers on eBay and paid through PayPal to the Canadian government?

A - Yes.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/February-25th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/29513...

Hopefully that clear and concise answer by eBay puts that question to rest.

Message 22 of 66
latest reply

If anyone believes the answer given by the ebay in the weekly board hour regarding the GSP then I have an island just outside San Fransisco for sale that needs remodeling...lol.

After many years of dealing with ebay reps we know from past experience that whenever an ebay rep gives a straight yes or no answer with no ambiguity whatsoever then it is very likely that either they are misinformed or more likely simply lying.

No reason to believe that this occasion is any different.

Message 23 of 66
latest reply

While many of us have, at times, been skeptical of some information provided by eBay staffers, on this specific question I really regret that you cannot accept it. 

Anything else would suggest criminal activities.  It is too bad you have reached your conclusion and it makes me wonder, if you really feel that way, why you still bother to do business on this site.

Sometimes, the conspiracy theory goes just a bit too far.  Not everyone is dishonest, not everyone is there to get you..

Message 24 of 66
latest reply

This is a community based forum where ebay members can share their previous experiences, ideas, questions, and related matters.

This is exactly what our previous post reflected. Based on many years experience and many contacts with ebay customer services and related department we posted our previous experience and our opinion based on these past experiences. Freedom of speech.

This is a community based forum and not a personal inquisition forum for perceived elite members to make personal comments to other members and therefore quite frankly why we choose to sell/buy or not sell/buy on ebay is simply nothing of concerns for any community members on these forums.

Message 25 of 66
latest reply

Q - Does Pitney Bowes and/or its agents actually collect and remit the GST/HST (and duty if applicable) collected from Canadian buyers on eBay and paid through PayPal to the Canadian government?

A - Yes.
While many of us have, at times, been skeptical of some information provided by eBay staffers, on this specific question {they must be telling the truth???!!!
Berubegirl,I would have made an offer on your island if it had a landing strip for my plane.

Message 26 of 66
latest reply

Yes the Canadian government does get the import charges. I have talked to Revenue Canada about this. As a Canadian business I collect Gst and Gst I pay I get back. The problem is the import tax on the Global Shipping Program I can not reclaim as GST paid. I have been caught now buying 3-5 items and unable through no fault of the seller have lower shipping with combined shipping. Have no fear class action lawyers are already lining up to launch a class action lawsuit. Wake up EBay and smell the coffee.
Message 27 of 66
latest reply

" As a Canadian business ..."

Unfortunately, GSP is NOT for you.  It is stated clearly in the terms of use that the program is for the exclusive use of individuals, NOT business.

Message 28 of 66
latest reply

@iwctoys2 wrote:
Yes the Canadian government does get the import charges. I have talked to Revenue Canada about this. As a Canadian business I collect Gst and Gst I pay I get back. The problem is the import tax on the Global Shipping Program I can not reclaim as GST paid. I have been caught now buying 3-5 items and unable through no fault of the seller have lower shipping with combined shipping. Have no fear class action lawyers are already lining up to launch a class action lawsuit. Wake up EBay and smell the coffee.

How about all the listings that are tax exempt in accordance with the law but the Global Scamming Program is still charging taxes on those listings for a very long time now.

You really believe those taxes collected against the law are paid to authorities?.....LOL!

GLOBAL SCAMMING PROGRAM.....Period!

Message 29 of 66
latest reply

Probably.

If the duty (or sometimes just tax) is collected in error, the money PB ships to the Canadian government would not be particularly broken down. PB wouldn't actually know they had collected too much and Canada would be delighted to have it.

All because some human being, the seller, a PB employee, whoever, made a mistake and no one was interested in correcting it.

Message 30 of 66
latest reply

GSP isn't without it's flaws but it does benefit sellers and buyers in certain scenarios.

In the past, most sellers in the US who auctioned phones were often reluctant to send them to Canada especially if they operated large lots and items for sale. They preferred to keep it US only, simply for logistics. With GSP, it's still like sending domestically. They ship it to Erlanger, KY and once it arrives there the seller is free and clear if delivery can't happen or it's lost. Yes, it takes time for the whole process to finish (I'm in the middle of one now) but it's easier for both buyer and seller compared to traditional methods.

With traditional shipping, the seller needs to contact the carrier, investigate etc. Meanwhile, the buyer is demanding a refund. Now that everything is done via PayPal it does have a more unified approach. I'm not saying it faster or easier but once you have used it once, it makes sense. It sorta acts as a buffer to calm everyone down while paypal looks into the issue. Yeah it can take 21 days for rare cases but that isn't the norm.

I used to get items from the US all the time and I would always end up paying extra at the post office. Many sellers would insist on using UPS if shipping to Canada which would force me to pay a $50 "Duty Processing Fee".  I don't know if this fee still exists, haven't used UPS in a while. With GSP, I have never had to pay extra duty/taxes. 

For small items it doesn't make sense. But I import phones which then are refurbished so the extra coverage really helps.

One thing I can say is that communication is key. Once eBay steps up and clearly communicates how things work, what to do when things go wrong, then things will be smoother. 

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

Had been avoiding GSP listings on items I buy since the programs inception.

However, saw a listing with a reasonable total cost and decided it was worth a gamble.

Was pleasantly surprised the item arrived with no issues. Box was a little beat up, but could not tell if it was original packing or PB's notorious re-packing "skills".

So it is true, that for some listings, GSP may work out. Item was somewhat bulky, so paying the modest "import" charge for the shipping likely saved me some $ over a courier, or even USPS/Canada Post.

From what I have seen over last year or so, unfortunately, this listing was a rarity.  Also helped that price was not driven up - and thus the "import fee" stayed low.

Message 32 of 66
latest reply

@paul8700 wrote:

eBay makes millions of dollars on these collected fees, NONE of which are paid to any government body for duties or tariffs. They go straight to the profit margin.

Well, that's not true.  I'm sure they remit just as much as they are obligated to by law.  However, it does seem as if they often collect a little more than the law dictates.

That said:  A few days ago I met an eBay buyer who could barely speak English and she was going on and on about the horrors of the GSP.

She didn't understand it in the least, but she knew full well that she had paid an awful lot for shipping.

I think there's a boycott going on behind the scenes by countries with low tax-free rates (such as Canada, Europe, and others).

However, eBay is clearly making a lot of money from the GSP or they wouldn't continue to push it like they do.

After years and years of badgering sellers to keep shipping costs low and taking the hit,  that all changed with the GSP and eBay saw a chance to make a lot of money for nothing.

Clearly, it's working out well for them.

For Us?  Not so much!

Message 33 of 66
latest reply

Just wanted to add:

I don't meet many of my buyers;  Maybe one or two a year, but since the GSP they inevitably turn the conversation in that direction.

What you see on this board is only a very polite glimpse at how Canadians really feel about he GSP.

I've yet to meet one who understands what's going on.

They don't care why the sudden increase and why should they?  As consumers all they know is that their cost suddenly went way up and they received nothing in return for the extra money spent.

Message 34 of 66
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:
However, eBay is clearly making a lot of money from the GSP or they wouldn't continue to push it like they do.

This is an important distinction to make.  Most of the revenue generated by the GSP goes to PitneyBowes.  eBay gets a small "finder's fee" or commission of sorts from PB.  Where eBay makes the money is from the selling fees from sales that may not be made otherwise.  eBay probably believes that if a GSP item didn't sell to a non-US (or non-UK) buyer, it likely would not have sold to a US (UK) buyer instead.

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

"Where eBay makes the money is from the selling fees from sales that may not be made otherwise."

That is correct.

In the case of auction listings, they also make added FVF on the incremental bids generated by overseas bidders.

Finally, until recently, eBay also benefited from the 1.00% "cross border" surcharge collected by PayPal. That was pure extra profit. Now it goes to PayPal.

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

This is an important distinction to make.  Most of the revenue generated by the GSP goes to PitneyBowes.  eBay gets a small "finder's fee" or commission of sorts from PB.  Where eBay makes the money is from the selling fees from sales that may not be made otherwise.  eBay probably believes that if a GSP item didn't sell to a non-US (or non-UK) buyer, it likely would not have sold to a US (UK) buyer instead.

We all know that P-B gets money from the GSP.  That goes without saying.

Your post makes it sound like you know something the rest of us are unaware of and have something new to share.

Of course eBay gets its commission if an item sells that would not have not sold otherwise.  That's obvious, but remember eBay also misses out on commissions when an item doesn't sell that would have sold with normal shipping methods.

You also say that eBay gets a small "finders fee."  Yes, we've all speculated that this is the case but you make it sound like you know something the rest of us don't know.  

What exactly is a small "finder's fee" according to marnotom!?

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

"eBay also misses out on commissions when an item doesn't sell that would have sold with normal shipping methods."

This has already been discussed.  eBay has shown that the increase in their international sales by American sellers are up substantially since the introduction of the program. 

For example they may have lost $100 in sales but gained $300 because of the program.  eBay is ahead, PayPal is ahead, the American sellers are ahead.  Canadian buyers are not.

It is almost impossible for eBay to adapt that program to please Canadian buyers since we are such a small portion of the entire marketplace.

Message 38 of 66
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"eBay also misses out on commissions when an item doesn't sell that would have sold with normal shipping methods."

This has already been discussed.  eBay has shown that the increase in their international sales by American sellers are up substantially since the introduction of the program. 

For example they may have lost $100 in sales but gained $300 because of the program.  eBay is ahead, PayPal is ahead, the American sellers are ahead.  Canadian buyers are not.

It is almost impossible for eBay to adapt that program to please Canadian buyers since we are such a small portion of the entire marketplace.

Is it that simple, or you making the classic mistake of assuming that when two things occur together one caused the other?

That is, correlation does not mean causation.   Just because international sales increased at the time the program was introduced, that does not mean that the GSP "caused" that increase.

Even so, assume that the GSP did "cause" international sales to increase.   That would only indicate that buyers don't read details.  (We all know that's true.)

Look at the posts here:  Buyer after buyer who bought GSP items left angry at the extra charges.  (Overseas buyers aren't that different from us.)

Thus, an initial boost in sales might be expected but as you see here, most of those who bought that way feel like victims and won't make the same mistake twice.

Message 39 of 66
latest reply

"or you making the classic mistake of assuming"

No.

Message 40 of 66
latest reply