Can't really track global shipping program - Frustrated Part 2

paktaolo
Community Member

Since someone with ebay closed the post, I will like to open a  new one as directed.

In response to femmefan1946

The GSP fees has nothing to do with duty (read the fine print). The GSP import fees only included their service fees and sales tax (not on your items,  may be on GSP service). 

So, if Customs want duty on the item, Canada Post will collect it at doorstep as well.  In addition, your UPS $ 16.50 fees is the ups brokerage fees It has nothing to do with customs.

In response to marnotom!

My point is that we do not get what we paid for. 

the old thread

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Can-t-really-track-global-shipping-program-Frustrated/td-...

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You really couldn’t be more incorrect, I’m sorry to say. Others will be around to explain it.

Can you please cite the specific example of the transaction you’re referring to? This will better enable other users to explain what you’ve misperceived and misunderstood.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

For readers who want to track GSP.

Your seller or eBay will give you tracking to Erlanger KY.

This is the GSP plant. It is operated by Pitney Bowes.

This completes shipping from your seller's point of view.

Your purchase will be sorted and with hundreds of others, forwarded to Canada.

The original tracking number is no longer used.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info, up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right. Most are carried by Canada Post.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided...

Thanks to @unison  for this information.

When the packet reaches your door, the carrier will hand it over. A signature may be required, but no further payment.

If you are not home when the carrier arrives, you will receive a Notice, telling you where and when the package can be picked up.

This is usually your closest Postal Outlet.

You will need ID with a photo and some proof of address. Driver's licence is fine. Since I don't drive, I've used my passport and a Hydro bill.

No further payment is required when you pick up.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

femmefan1946 was telling a story about USP was asking $16.xx cad at the door and praised GSP  has no fees in the old post. In fact, we all pay the similar fee up front.

Are you telling me that the ~$10.00 usd is customs duty?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Of course GSP has fees. Around $5USD on most items.

The UPS item I received was duty free , carried about $4.50 BC sales taxes, and the other $12 was the UPS brokerage/service fee.

The difference is that with my GSP purchases, those fees including Canadian duty and Canadian sales taxes, were paid before the seller shipped.

While with UPS, the buyer pays on the doorstep. Often the Canadian buyer does not know any import fees will be charged.

FedEx is even worse, because they are known to drop off parcels and invoice days or weeks later for their import fees.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Are you sure that $4.50 BC sales taxes is not on your UPS brokerage/service? You better ask UPS.

Then, where do you find out it is $5 USD GSP fees? 

As I mentioned in other post, most of the posters praised GSP must have some ebay connections. They try to blur the REAL GSP cost with Canadian duty and Canadian sales taxes terms when there is no duty / taxes on the item.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I've been using eBay since 1998, with one ID or another.

I am a retired public servant, who has also worked retail.  I don't work for eBay.

Mostly I post a lot because I'm bored and my copyediting my latest novel is not going well.

EBay employees do post here, more often than on the dotCOM boards, and have a special icon and are identified as employees. @happy_pigeon  for example.

I think the GSP is a terrible program for Canadian buyers, but that it was not set up for buyers. It is a Seller Protection program.

EBay likes it well enough that they extended it to UK sellers not long ago.

Both US and UK sales were flat-lining because those sellers were unwilling to ship internationally without more protection than most non-US sellers are willing to accept.

The GSP has reversed that, and eBay gets the benefit in the way of more and higher FVF.

No one knows whether eBay pays PB to run the GSP, or if PB pays eBay for the privilege of running the GSP.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

There’s a big difference between items that are DUTY-FREE and items that may be exempt from sales tax.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If, however, you are determined to stick to erroneous claims even in the face of facts, don’t allow me to dissuade you.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Are you threatening me ????

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

What on earth does all this have to do with the topic of the challenges sometimes faced in tracking GSP shipments?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Am I ‘threatening’ you? Are you kidding me?
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

“What on earth does all this have to do with the topic of the challenges sometimes faced in tracking GSP shipments?”

Nothing whatsoever; that’s an excellent point. Can you replicate here what you added to the other open thread in order to set the record straight? Not that it still has anything at all to do with the subject line. But it presents factual information that others may find useful in future.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Can you replicate here what you added to the other open thread in order to set the record straight? Not that it still has anything at all to do with the subject line. But it presents factual information that others may find useful in future.

I think it might be best if I just posted a link to the post in question in the hopes that that might redirect the conversation to the relevant thread.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Pitney-Bowes-SCAM/m-p/401604#M37878

As far as the OP's somewhat more relevant comment that "we do not get what we paid for" with a GSP shipment, I'd like to know what they think they did pay for.  "Priority" does not mean "fast".  It just means "faster than something else".  The same descriptor "Global Priority Shipping" refers to items sent by freight truck from Kentucky to Mississauga as well as items sent by a combination of air and other means to other locations such as Liechtenstein.

It's marketing puffery, that's all.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

It has nothing to do with the words. It is metaphor, and I know that you know what I mean.  

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@paktaolo wrote:

It has nothing to do with the words. It is metaphor, and I know that you know what I mean.  

Actually, I don't.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Metaphor? Is any of this about an actual GSP transaction that YOU have had experience with? If so, please give the item number or cite the specifics of your problematic transaction. Unless you can say specifically to what you are referring, no one will be able to assist you. The claims you’ve asserted are not based in fact about what the GSP is or how it works. As to metaphors? No one can offer logical comment or advice on matters that exist only in the imagination of one person.
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Also, in Message 10, you accused me of threatening you. Please provide evidence to support that allegation so that I may logically refute it.
Message 18 of 18
latest reply