Canada Post charging buyers extra?

I'm stumped on this one. I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

I bought an item out of Alberta to be sent to my address in British Columbia. I paid the GST, PST, shipping and the money for the item.

Canada Post came to my house today with the item but I wasn't home.

The item I ordered is now being held at my local post office. They left at my home a delivery notice saying I owe over $8.

Why would I owe any money if the shipping and taxes were paid?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member
If the seller mismeasured the package and generated the postage themselves, there may be insufficient postage on it. You’d have to pay the amount owing to receive the package.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Why would the buyer have to pay? Anytime I mis-measure I get dinged back on my original purchase method.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

As marnotom has mentioned insufficient postage (buyer's error) is probably the culprit. You are right, I too have been charged any errors/overages but I use Shippo and they simply add the upcharge to my invoice.

It's possible the seller in this case had used one of those pre-paid boxes with weight restrictions. Maybe they used a prepaid box with maximum weight of 5 pounds but had 10 pounds inside for instance. The seller might have bought the prepaid box in person with debit or cash at post office in which case the receiver of package would get the extra charge. (Just one possibility.)

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

As has been mentioned above the seller must have made a mistake on either dimensions or weight of package. Usually this shortage of postage would be charged back to sender if they have an account to be charged, otherwise Canada Post (or other shipper?) would try and collect money from receiver. Occasionally  the package may be sent back to sender  and they would have to fix it/pay it and re-send it out. This of course adds extra time to the delivery.

You'll know more once you pick up your package but I would be sure to let the seller know his/her error and that you were surprised to have to pay extra.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Have you asked the post office?  There may be more info on the amount owed label.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You should (politely) let the seller know about the problem. He may have made a mistake and want to correct it.

If he doesn't you have other steps you can take.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

When I arrived at my local post office to pick up the package, I paid no money.

I have no clue what happened.

I asked the clerk why I was being charged. It's not that she didn't know, she just didn't answer.

The package was brought out and I left with it without paying.

I can't see why I went through this, the package was small and could've fit in my mail box. 

I'm stumped by it all.

Thank you all for your advice.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That's great that it worked out for you in the long run! No extra money and your item safe in hand, that's the main thing!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply